Mk5 ibiza hid lights

Georgekent

Just wondering if anyone has fitted hid lights to the ibiza I have just ordered some

Georgekent

I've got 8s coming. A friend has them on his polo they look good. Do you just change the bulb to change to a 5?

Jim H

Mar 6, 2009
Teesside
Remember the higher the Kelvin the light output actually goes down.

I found this on an HID website which shows colours of HID and the light intensity (lumins) of each.

i2rgar.jpg

As you can see 4,300 k gives the best output and is what most OEM HIDs are. It is similar with Halogens, no covering on a bulb will ever produce more light than a clear one.

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
Don't want to appear tooooo boring, but aren't illegal to retro fit without washers and be self leveling ?

nope,

if you have self leveling then it has to work same as the washers.

xenons arnt illegal or mot fail without either. ;) (from a qualified mot tester)

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
nope,

if you have self leveling then it has to work same as the washers.

xenons arnt illegal or mot fail without either. ;) (from a qualified mot tester)

Not strictly true, whilst you may not fail an MOT HID are still not strictly legal.

The Department for Transport stance is that it is illegal to fit a HID lamp to a headlamp designed for a tungsten lamp and if a HID lamp is fitted it must meet certain criteria. Firstly they must be self levelling, they must have a washer system fitted and the dipped beam must stay illuminated when the high beam is operated.

Fit aftermarket HID lamps if you want, you will probably pass an MOT, it's unlikely plod will bother you BUT they will always be illegal!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members