Moving from a golf to a leon

Andy Knoxville

Jun 17, 2020
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a Leon 2.0 FR sport petrol too replace my aging Mk5 golf.

I did originally have my heart set on a golf mk7.5 GTi (2017). But the Leon is a bargain as I've seen some less than a year old for around £3k cheaper than the golf.

My head says Leon, my heart says I'll miss the way the gold handles and interior refinement.

I just keep thinking the Leon is at least 2 years newer, less mileage and a lot cheaper.

I know the Leon won't be as fast as the GTi. But honestly that doesn't bother me as most of the time I drive like Morgan Freeman out of driving Miss Daisy.

The Leon is cheaper as the interior plastics and general cabin are probably not as plush as the golf.

Did anyone else have a similar dilemma?

JackB

Jan 18, 2020
I think the only way you will settle this is getting some time with a Leon in the flesh and doing a test drive.

I was looking at Golf R vs Leon Cupra last year, whilst I found the Golf to have a higher quality finish, I actually found the Leon interior a nicer place to be, it looked and felt more special to me - even if the quality wasn't quite the same.

Going in to the buying process, I was set on a Golf and was only looking at the Leon to be pragmatic, I never thought I'd do a 180 and completely change what I wanted.

Sounds like you are not concerned with having a fast car, but if you were, a Leon Cupra Mk3 is broadly the same chassis as a standard Golf GTI Mk7, but it has the bigger IS38 turbo and a better diff. The Leon is a much quicker car than a standard GTI for similar money.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Andy Knoxville

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
I've not been in the golf GTI but you would find the interior a slight downgrade and would probably notice a bit more road noise. I still find the Leon interior to be of good overall quality and well put together. Mine is 3 years old and no creaking from plastics at nearly 17k, whereas I had a fair amount of creaking in my exeo when it was just 2 years old where I didn't find the plastics near the gear shift didn't feel tight. Overall the quality of the exeo interior was better apart that area mentioned previously. If the loss of bhp did end up bothering you I expect a little remap would get you upto GTI power.

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
I've not been in the golf GTI but you would find the interior a slight downgrade and would probably notice a bit more road noise. I still find the Leon interior to be of good overall quality and well put together. Mine is 3 years old and no creaking from plastics at nearly 17k, whereas I had a fair amount of creaking in my exeo when it was just 2 years old where I didn't find the plastics near the gear shift didn't feel tight. Overall the quality of the exeo interior was better apart that area mentioned previously. If the loss of bhp did end up bothering you I expect a little remap would get you upto GTI power.
That's because I'm sure it's around 80 odd percent of an exeo is audi parts as all it is is a rebranded b7 a4

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: mdaw1985

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Leons are way better value, pretty much get everything standard. Just that interior isn't as good quality and they can get creaky/rattly alot quicker.

The FR is more comparable to the GT than the GTI though.

The Cupra comes with the diff standard which is part of the performance pack on the GTI you have to pay extra for, as well as the Cupra just being fully loaded standard as well.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Had an MK3 Pre-FL Leon SE Tech, had a Mk5 FL Ibiza FR SC, and now I've got a Volvo V40...Only the Leon rattles and the suspension squeaks...true...for me. To drive, I would take the Ibiza anyday...to be a passenger the V40 (not to drive though, it is very comfortable though). I'm not too fussed on how rough the plastic is, the non identical air vents did annoy me a little.but the drive was good. but mostly the rattling annoyed me. If there wasn't any rattling I would be very happy. The worst thing of it all is that i've been in a 9 year old Mini One, and 9 year old Honda Insight...even after so many miles...there are no rattles! How the Leon rattles I do not know. The Ibiza I had from new to 2 years never rattled, go figure! perhaps it's the soft touch plastic on the dash, that cushions it, I don't know..

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The 150 bhp Mk7 Golfs have independent rear suspension. The Leons don't. You need to get the 184bhp Leon to get that. Does it make a difference? Yes, but it's not huge. The facelift FR suspension seems to have been tweaked slightly and it's a pretty good balance.

Engines etc are the same across both brands.

Yes, the interior of the Golf is a little better screwed together but the Leon is not that bad. Importantly, the Leon has a better layout and better kit. It's swings and roundabouts, they are both fine.

What really clinches it is the price. A Golf will cost you a lot more than the equivalent Leon and it's really not worth it. It's very slightly better in a few ways but not worth the extra cost.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.