My Leon broke down/Advice Please 🤬

motormadmarc

Dec 24, 2020
Norfolk, Next To The Sea 🐟
Hi guys.

My wife and I were supposed to be doing a 300 mile round trip this morning to visit family but It didn't happen. Why, because my 70 plate 1ltr TSI SE Dynamic broke down. I came out of the shop before starting the journey, depressed the clutch, pushed the starter button, and then nothing. All I could hear was the solonoid clicking every time I pushed the button.

So my question Is guys, should a 10 month old car with just over 3k on the clock have a dodgy battery? The car started fist time when the breakdown guy arrived and connected up his booster pack. But when It started every warning and Information light was illuminated on the screen for quite a while. Is this normal after a flat battery that's been restarted or after having a new battery fitted?

So as suggested by the breakdown guy I took the car on a 20 mile round trip to try and charge up the battery, and halfway through the journey the rest of the warning lights went out as well. The only thing that still Isn't working though Is the stop/start function. I can't turn It on because the on/off toggle will not turn on when touched on the screen? Any Ideas guys?

Sorry to waffle on so much guys but this Is my first ever brand new car and with so many electronic gadgets to go wrong I don't know where I am at the moment. If you know what I mean 🤬

theknightbg

Jan 26, 2021
It happened to me as well once on my new Leon. Same story with the lights and everything. I called the dealership and they suggested it could have been a sensor not turning off properly. This was 6 months ago, have not had any issues since.
I did not have the stop/start issue you are seeing, so I would suggest calling the voklswagen/seat care assist numbers and asking about it. They will provide you with a replacement car until they fix the problem.

Reactions: motormadmarc

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
It’s normal for multiple dashboard warning lights to be illuminated after the car’s battery is disconnected and then reconnected (at least it is with a VW), so I dare say it’s the same with Seat and after a new battery is fitted, and also when the flat battery was brought back to life by the breakdown recovery guy. The warning lights should go out after a few miles driving.

There will be various conditions that need to be met by the car’s operating / running systems for stop start to be active. In my VW, it sometimes won’t work on hot days when the air con’s working overtime. It could be that your car‘s battery hasn’t recharged sufficiently yet for stop start to work - I suspect that once this happens, the on-screen on / off toggle for stop start will become accessible again.

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Hi guys.

My wife and I were supposed to be doing a 300 mile round trip this morning to visit family but It didn't happen. Why, because my 70 plate 1ltr TSI SE Dynamic broke down. I came out of the shop before starting the journey, depressed the clutch, pushed the starter button, and then nothing. All I could hear was the solonoid clicking every time I pushed the button.

So my question Is guys, should a 10 month old car with just over 3k on the clock have a dodgy battery? The car started fist time when the breakdown guy arrived and connected up his booster pack. But when It started every warning and Information light was illuminated on the screen for quite a while. Is this normal after a flat battery that's been restarted or after having a new battery fitted?

So as suggested by the breakdown guy I took the car on a 20 mile round trip to try and charge up the battery, and halfway through the journey the rest of the warning lights went out as well. The only thing that still Isn't working though Is the stop/start function. I can't turn It on because the on/off toggle will not turn on when touched on the screen? Any Ideas guys?

Sorry to waffle on so much guys but this Is my first ever brand new car and with so many electronic gadgets to go wrong I don't know where I am at the moment. If you know what I mean 🤬
Hi, going off your mileage, 3K over 10months is not a lot, works out at about 75 miles a week (ish) and one thing that a battery does not like is not being charged, I know its a daft comment but you need to do more mileage, and if you had done the 300 mile trip it would have done it good.
But saying all that I had a problem with ours and the stop/start refused to work and I did some checks and my tester said my battery was faulty so took to dealer who said there was not a problem, but I have friends in the trade and there was a batch of incorrect battery's fitted to my age of car, so they fitted a correct battery and never had a problem, admitting mine was a Mk3 and 19 plate, but wonder if they have done a similar thing on yours !

Tommy95

Jul 1, 2014
Coventry
Sometimes on VAG cars they wont reset some features automatically after a dead battery / battery change. If you start the car and turn the wheel full lock to full lock it seems to reset a lot of the systems. No idea why haha!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.