My leon made me lose man points...

Sep 21, 2014
So I was on the red on fuel, came off the motorway onto an uphill exit slip road and stopped at the lights. Go to lift my foot off the clutch to move off and I don't move.

On come the hazards when I fiddle trying to work out what happened, then I notice it says 'Please start the engine manually!' on the screen on the dashboard. Turn it off and back on again and move off fine, and oops the lights just turned red again.

Now I believe to the person behind (who didn't actually move when I put my hazards on) may have thought I had stalled (mega loss of man points there).

I didn't think much of it and filled up with fuel.

Drove the same route yesterday and no problems (though not sure if I had to stop at the traffic lights).

Drove the same route today (it's the route to work, I am not a nutter) and got to the exact same sliproad and stopped at the lights and boom it's decided to have a sleep again. Exact same place. Protected my man points though as I was watching the screen and caught it telling me to restart whilst the lights were red, so a quick on and off and got going before the lights changed.

As I am coming up the exit slip, I'm braking. Coming to a stop, foot down on clutch and out of 6th, into 1st (clutch stays down till I stop or have to move again). As foot goes down it turns off (still moving slowly) and steering locks up. I do not release the clutch in neutral at any point (activates S/S).

Now I am a little concerned here. If I'm driving along and put the clutch down to change gear I would prefer it not to turn off as the steering would become heavy/ lock up. It's only done it twice at < 10mph on the same bit of road, but I'm not too happy with it.

Anyone know what's causing this? Getting a bit fed up with Seat- brand new car and it has more quirks that my old 14 year old car!

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Have you tried deactivating the s/s system to see if that is the cause? Either way, I reckon a trip to the dealers may be required.....

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Sounds like the car thinks it has stopped before it actually has.

I have tested the stop start functions out in mine to see how it worked and my engine will not switch off until I am completely stopped and clutch lifted.

Even if i am rolling in neutral with the clutch up the engine remaining a running until I completely stop. Sounds like a possible issue with yours (speed sensor?)

Sep 21, 2014
Sounds like the car thinks it has stopped before it actually has.

I have tested the stop start functions out in mine to see how it worked and my engine will not switch off until I am completely stopped and clutch lifted.

Even if i am rolling in neutral with the clutch up the engine remaining a running until I completely stop. Sounds like a possible issue with yours (speed sensor?)

I've played with mine in traffic too- it only stops the engine at a complete stop, then will automatically turn back on once it reaches a few mph.

However in the situation I described my foot is going down on the clutch when it stops- complete opposite of stop start- and it's not even in neutral (apart from the gear change) :confused:

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Ah ha, I've re read it again!

I think I know what you are describing now but I've no idea why! The only time the engine should stop is when the car is in neutral, clutch up and stopped.

Any other times and I'd say it's a fault. Back to the dealers!

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
When my car is in stop mode and if I remove the belt for some reason, then it will not restart and will require me to start the engine manually even if I have put the belt back on. I guess this is a precaution measure. Not saying yor case is the same but could it be that your belt sensor is faulty?

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Removing the seatbelt will stop the engine from restarting.

Basic requirements for it to work are

The driver door must be closed.
The driver must have their seat belt fastened.
The bonnet must be closed.
The vehicle must have travelled at more than 4 km/h (2 mph) since the last stop.
The vehicle cannot be towing a trailer.

The system can interrupt the Start-Stop mode frequently for different reasons.
The engine does not switch off
Before the stopping phase, the system verifies whether certain conditions are met. The engine does not switch off, in the following situations for ex- ample:
● The engine has not yet reached the minimum required temperature for the Start-Stop mode.
● The interior temperature selected for the air conditioner has not yet been reached.
● The interior temperature is very high/low.
● Defrost function button activated ⇒ page 135.
● The parking aid* is switched on.
● The battery is very low.
● The steering wheel is overly turned or is being turned.
● If there is a danger of misting.
After engaging reverse gear.
● In case of a very steep gradient.
The indication  is shown on the instrument panel display, and in addition, the driver information system* shows, .
The engine starts by itself
During a stopping phase the normal Start-Stop mode can be interrupted in the following situations: The engine restarts by itself without involvement from the driver.
● The interior temperature differs from the value selected on the air condi- tioner.
● Defrost function button activated ⇒ page 135.
● The brake has been pressed several times consecutively.
● The battery is too low.
● High power consumption.

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
● The interior temperature selected for the air conditioner has not yet been reached.

Cheers that Chris, this answers my query about why my stop start hasnt been working well on short journeys.

Just to note, my S/S activates before i come to a complete stop, maybe like 1 or 2mph but still i can get it to turn off before coming to stop but that might have something to do with my electronic handbrake.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Yeah I have the manual air con but I know in mine if the blower is above 3 stop start will not activate.

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
One of my biggest little moans is that the info my car displays as a reason for not activating is soooo poor. It can say "Windscreen could become fogged" etc but 90% of the time is just says "Engine must be running".

Any idea why it sometimes says "Power Consumption too High" but I turn everything off, Radio A/C Lights etc and it still wont turn off?

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
One of my biggest little moans is that the info my car displays as a reason for not activating is soooo poor. It can say "Windscreen could become fogged" etc but 90% of the time is just says "Engine must be running".

Any idea why it sometimes says "Power Consumption too High" but I turn everything off, Radio A/C Lights etc and it still wont turn off?

We don't get this in the Leon ;) just a simple message without any reason as to why it didn't activate.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK

Could be that it is still charging the battery.

I know it's popular to either up the activation voltage or up the deactivation temp with VCDS to stop it working.

exmgman

Nov 30, 2009
I asked at the dealers if this feature could be disabled - apparently not.
I always turn it off when starting the engine. The dealer service manager admitted he did this too.
This is how they get it through the lower emissions tests.
The restart feature uses the "standard" starter motor acting on the ring gear.
I suspect that a car used in heavy traffic will need a new starter and ring gear after a few years, expensive, probably just after the 3 year warranty expires or am I just cynical!

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I asked at the dealers if this feature could be disabled - apparently not.
I always turn it off when starting the engine. The dealer service manager admitted he did this too.
This is how they get it through the lower emissions tests.
The restart feature uses the "standard" starter motor acting on the ring gear.
I suspect that a car used in heavy traffic will need a new starter and ring gear after a few years, expensive, probably just after the 3 year warranty expires or am I just cynical!

Dealer won't do it - they are not allowed to.

It can be done wit VCDS

Mikeyh22

Oct 18, 2014
Bolton
Same thing happened to me yesterday 123456 but I can beat your points loss. Sat at lights. Press clutch. Nothing. What felt like ages message saying start car manually. In meantime old codger in micra behind starts pipping. I start the car, wave my fist and shoot off leaving him for dust. Few miles later I'm waiting to turning right at lights but entrance to road blocked by a bus. Sat there for ages then lights go to red so I'm blocking the road myself. Who should trundle up behind me - yes old codger in micra.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.