My TDI 110 seems underpowered

Lenny(tosser)

Hi, I have done a lot of searches to find info on this but no luck. I was wondering what the top speed of a 2001 Leon tdi 110 should be as mine struggles to get to 100 ( just for test purposes of course officer :whistle: ). I have read that the VW Golf 110 will do 120mph.

Is my tdi 110 just a slow motor or should i try reseting the cpu or anything. I have been looking into getting it chipped or revo'ed but if i can get more from it standard, that might do me for a while.

If you have any advice on revo etc i would also be grateful :)

Thanks.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
yes. i would consider that the MAF is not being as efficient as it should be, on its way out you would say.

You really need vag-com to do some logs to be 100% sure. But unplugging and running usually only helps if its totally gone. I would try cleaning with isoproyl electronics cleaner first (have a search for clean MAF) and then see what its like. If no luck then try a replacement.

Lenny(tosser)

Thanks guys, i disconnected a plug from a jobbie that was between the airbox and engine (back r/h/s on a big ribbed pipe) and it made no difference....still slow as fook :cry:

Have read about cleaning but the word is a new one is probably needed.....will try anyway. Got the car a few mnonths ago from an Audi dealer (stealer) and got a years warranty, is it likely to be covered? Thanks again.

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
Lenny said:
Thanks guys, i disconnected a plug from a jobbie that was between the airbox and engine (back r/h/s on a big ribbed pipe) and it made no difference....still slow as fook :cry:

Have read about cleaning but the word is a new one is probably needed.....will try anyway. Got the car a few mnonths ago from an Audi dealer (stealer) and got a years warranty, is it likely to be covered? Thanks again.

If it made NO difference (or it made it slightly better) then it is fooked.

I will be covered, but they might not give you a Merc one.

Aparently the Merc ones (out of an "A"Class CDI) are more resiliant and last longer. Plus they are more accurate, so WHEN (not if, when) you chip it, it helps :thumbup:

Lenny(tosser)

Thanks slimjim, from my description did i unplug the right thing? I'm guessing that the Ibiza has the same engine but what top speed figures do/did you get before and after chipping?
BTW what chipping did you go for?

prc

Sooty Meister
As already mentioned, it is most likely the MAF on it's way out. I had a mk2 110 tdi and it would easily pull over 200km/hr (stock). So I figure the Leon might be a bit slower getting there but should at least do the same.

Chip depends. Be warned that not all '01 model 110TDI's are flashable.

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
sssstew said:
yep you got the right one. a test clean is in order but more than likely a new one will be needed.
sssstew is right Lenny (as always :worship: )

You disconnected the right thing.

Depends if you can be bothered to get some jewlery cleaning stuff, take the MAF of, try to clean her up (gently) dry her off, put her back and try it ....

OR just replace one of the most unreliable parts of the 110 engine :whistle:

I put the Merc MAF in mine (im lazy) you do need to alter it slightly, but all it needs is two little plastic bits taking off it with a stanley knife, VERY easy :thumpup:

Let us know how you get on.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
let the maf dry at ambient air, don't use aything else,,,

james, the thing you clean it with is alcohol for electronic stuff, the ultra sound cleaner is the thing for jewels/tattoo needles,,, that's a patent of mine: put the isopropyl alcohol into the ultrasonic cleaner machine and activate it,,, 5 minutes are more than enough,,, let dry for about 1,5-2 hours and serve cold,,,

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
basstard said:
let the maf dry at ambient air, don't use aything else,,,

james, the thing you clean it with is alcohol for electronic stuff, the ultra sound cleaner is the thing for jewels/tattoo needles,,, that's a patent of mine: put the isopropyl alcohol into the ultrasonic cleaner machine and activate it,,, 5 minutes are more than enough,,, let dry for about 1,5-2 hours and serve cold,,,
OR .... buy another one ... in keeping with the throw away society we are cultivating.... ;)

Lenny(tosser)

Thanks for your support everyone :D

I would love to give the damn thing a clean but it uses security torx screws :cry:

It should be covered under warranty from the Audi garage i bought it from in Cambridge but my local audi and vw places wont do it even tho its a modial warranty and my local seat dealer in MK is shite and dont do mondial (however you spell it). This means i have to go to bedford or N'hampton and fart around over there so i was toying with just getting the merc part for 50 quid and be done with it (as long as its deff the maf) as time and fuel spent blah blah and just want it sorted.

Also according to Seat in MK the replacement Boche MAF from them is more like 300 bloody quid :wtf: as he said they dont do a replacement scheme anymore....think they're having a turkish!!!!

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
Lenny said:
but it uses security torx screws :cry:
so does mine :censored: .... Hellfrauds do a set for £12 :thumbup:

Lenny said:
so i was toying with just getting the merc part for 50 quid and be done with it (as long as its deff the maf) as time and fuel spent blah blah and just want it sorted.
Better to get the Merc one as it's supposed to be more reliable and qucker to "respond"

Lenny said:
Also according to Seat in MK the replacement Boche MAF from them is more like 300 bloody quid :wtf: as he said they dont do a replacement scheme anymore....think they're having a turkish!!!!
Answered your own question. £50-£70 (I think) for a Merc MAF, £12 for Hellfrauds security torx......

Bargain.....

Then the 300 notes your were GOING to spend on the SEAT MAF ..... UPSOLUTE :funk:

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
lenny, jim is damn right [and for once that this happens you should at least think about what he says], go for the merc maf and then upsolute!!!!
btw, the bosch maf should be 300 euros, 300£ seems a bit of a rip off,,,

don't bother buying the security torx, unscrew the screws off with a plier and then put there normal screws, makes it easier for future cleanings/swaps,,,

:cheers:

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
basstard said:
lenny, jim is damn right [and for once that this happens you should at least think about what he says], go for the merc maf and then upsolute!!!!
btw, the bosch maf should be 300 euros, 300£ seems a bit of a rip off,,,

don't bother buying the security torx, unscrew the screws off with a plier and then put there normal screws, makes it easier for future cleanings/swaps,,,

:cheers:
Me? Right? :no: ... I doubt it! ;)

Good shout on the pliers idea though. Would have save me £12 :doh:

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
slimjim said:
Me? Right? :no: ... I doubt it! ;)

you are the self esteem ad testimonial aren't ya????

slimjim said:
Good shout on the pliers idea though. Would have save me £12 :doh:

Still have to decide if it's a good idea or not,,, ain't exactly easy with the pliers, but if you are tight assed like me it can be worth,,, really depends on how the money is goin at the time,,, if it was now I'd deffo buy the security torx set,,,

prc said:
a special key, that looks like a torx but isn't (it's got 5 edges instead of the torx's 6

and its name is security torx,,,
[security torx are in both 5 & 6 spoke versions, both with a hole in the middle]

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
basstard said:
and its name is security torx,,,
[security torx are in both 5 & 6 spoke versions, both with a hole in the middle]
Yup... I got the right set for the car .... 6 star.....

I have kept them standard and also kept my MAF (there was nothign wrong with it, I changed it as I went to Upsolute and they reccomended changing it) so I can take it "back to standard" if I need to.

[B)]

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
shouldn't the right one be 5 star???

anyway, me myself I am now on the stock maf from bosch,,, cos I feel the merc one leads to a bit badder mpg,,, I need to clean them both and try loggin the airflow,,, but I don't know if I got all that time to waste for 1/2 hp,,,

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.