MY19 Cupra 290 GPF Oil Top up

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Hey folks, I'm preparing for a long journey and need to top up the oil level a little.

Does anyone know if the oil spec has changed with the GPF engine update?

The car has only just hit 8k so it's still on the factory oil (I'll be expecting the reminder to pop up soon!) I know I need certain VW spec but as it's just a top up I'm just looking for a litre bottle from Asda etc... I seen some Castrol stuff on deal but just need the correct spec as time is limited.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Did you not get a care pack from the dealer, that should have a litre of oil in it. If not, the oil in mine for a 2109 Cupra 290 is VW G 052 195 Longlife III - 5W-30.
Nope, never got the care pack! If I can remember right I had the 'courtesy oil' bottlle in my previous Merc and the for our Ford!

I take it SEAT are cutting £ here and there

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd think that in normal situations, if you get a 1litre top up bottle of engine oil free with a new car, the manufacturer is admitting that you have just bought one of their products that could gobble quite a bit of oil.

I've never ever bought a new car that came with a top up bottle of engine oil FOC, but I have always made sure that I did make the effort to buy one online for each of my cars, currently waiting for one to arrive for my daughter's new Leon Cupra, bought at discount price from an online VW main dealer. It will be Castrol Professional 5W-30 504/507 as that is what is on a label on maybe the lock carrier.

Edit:- I think that the asking price for a litre bottle in a "leakproof" pouch is £18.95 from any VW Group dealership parts department, online they sell for £13.50 or so, I had initially planned just to buy the empty pouch for my daughter's car and donate a spare litre bottle with Mobil One ESP 3W-30 in it, but the pouches empty were not cheap enough for that, so I've just paid a bit more and got exactly the correct oil as recommended by SEAT for that engine as that car is under warranty. (the smart plan is always to buy that oil before you need it and not to panic and buy just anything as time has run out)

Another Edit:- a price drop, now £13.00 for the official pouch complete with oil!

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.