Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Tell

Staff member
Just did a check. The Seat site is still showing the 1310 release June 2019 incorrectly linked as 1309.

1430 is the latest as posted above when it was released in November 2019, direct link (Mapcare considerations apply, work around recommended because it won't work otherwise all above for anyone new to the thread)

http://vw-mapscdn.tdd.adacorcdn.com/DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12.7z

& you are on the November 2017 release (0915) so it's two years out of date or 18 months out of date if you like stuff off of Seat servers rather than VW which has the latest Seat update :).

What will happen when it's released on Seat servers people will post up here it's available (yes we know, we got it in November 2019 :)). Always happens.

ram

Dec 10, 2019
The latest is not published on the Seat site and if it was all of the files are the same !. Seat drags its heels unlike VW and Skoda in map update files.

Hi

So I have downloaded the updated file and put it onto the sd card and then placed the original overall.nds file into sdcard but when coming to update on the head unit k get "error: no data available. Please insert a source with software update data or check the source

Tell

Staff member
You don't update the unit via the card, just put the card back in with the original overall.nds file in place of the new one which you have updated on the original physical card, just the overall.nds is the new one. Post 1809.

The instructions are posted all over this thread and across international Vag user boards. A large number of people use this workaround without issues. The only issues are created by the use of Mac systems which was your first problem. Getting confused about files and directories, we have seen that one where people change more than they should by changing all of the contents of that directory that includes the overall.noverall.nds file. Don't touch the BMD.NDS file. Somebody did that once who wasn't skilled on file copy :(.

If you can't get it to work revert back to what you had before but others have upgraded from v6, before and after without issue. If it's not another Mac introduced issue of garbage on the SD card then it's a user error with the process. Nobody has ever not been able to do it, you will be the first.

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
bought a 16 plate leon a few weeks ago and was thinking how to update the SD card?

Do you I literally download a link and put the new file on my current dated SD card and replace the previous file?

Sorry just read previous post, cheers!

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Just did a check. The Seat site is still showing the 1310 release June 2019 incorrectly linked as 1309.

1430 is the latest as posted above when it was released in November 2019, direct link (Mapcare considerations apply, work around recommended because it won't work otherwise all above for anyone new to the thread)

& you are on the November 2017 release (0915) so it's two years out of date or 18 months out of date if you like stuff off of Seat servers rather than VW which has the latest Seat update :).

What will happen when it's released on Seat servers people will post up here it's available (yes we know, we got it in November 2019 :)). Always happens.
Still waiting on SEAT hosting the latest update :cry:.

You do some very good work in here. I don't think I would have the patience.

Reactions: Walone and Tell

Tell

Staff member
bought a 16 plate leon a few weeks ago and was thinking how to update the SD card?

Do you I literally download a link and put the new file on my current dated SD card and replace the previous file?

Sorry just read previous post, cheers!

Has to be a mib2 standard and follow the workaround in post 1809 / 1810. It's all over the thread. Latest post 1961, skip the link on 1809, six months old now.

You test for mib2 standard by looking for 6P

In the “Setup” > “Version information” display, the first three digits should be “6P0”, in order to download the following files.

If it says 5F you are out of luck that's a mib1 standard. Mib2 was 2016, so a bit borderline perhaps.

Tell

Staff member
Still waiting on SEAT hosting the latest update :cry:.

You do some very good work in here. I don't think I would have the patience.

I'd use the direct link November 2019 release for 2020. All of Europe. Mapcare considerations apply.

That hasn't as yet been put up on VW / Skoda site yet but people are happy using it in Europe and in the UK on Seats, Skodas and VWs. They use brute force to find the links. The high using a program on a TV box as I posted up to test file name combinations, ditto on the standard I guess :). Finding 1430 is a bit more tricky if you stab away with it with your fingers.

Reactions: Bedlam and Kirky

Tell

Staff member
OK I see the November 2019 Mib2 release for the standard (1430) and the Plus / Mib2 High (184) is now on the VW main website although you can use the links - all the same file. I haven't checked whether the MAC version app for those that do it that way reflects these files but the rest does. Those interested can try themselves.

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/

The standard contains the contains the release by Europe zones as before or all Europe. Latter does fit on current cards.

Pick a Golf 7, Discover Media is a Seat standard, Discover Pro is a Seat Plus.

Although you can use the links posted above on the thread.

Mapcare considerations apply. See workaround details in the thread if you haven't got Mapcare (1966 and follow the posts).

(also the Skoda update portal based on VIN number has the high 184 map on it now but not the standard 1430, still shows 1310 - just an indication of the roll out of the files we already have via the direct links which are identical within VAG)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kirky

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
Is the MIB 2 only in 2017 upwards ?

I have a 2016 but with the buttons down each side which to my guess is the MIB 1

Tell

Staff member
The check is in the post 1966 above. Leon's they came in, in 2016... in all the screen pictures posted in the thread going up you will see that field (post 1922 is an example 6P, Mib2 standard, latest maps).

Text is taken from here which is Seat's map upgrade site but only if you have Mapcare & all out of date map links :).... said enough about that above.

https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/navigation/map-updates.html

In the field "Navigation Database:" 5F in place of 6P is what you will see if it's a standard Mib1. Mib2 it will start with 6P. In a Seat infotainment system the field is populated with the card's Seat part number which it extracts off the common Vag map data.

Last edited:

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
4370C328-ED70-43A5-ABD5-A054BD16A1C3.jpeg
The check is in the post 1966 above. Leon's they came in, in 2016... in all the screen pictures posted in the thread going up you will see that field (post 1922 is an example 6P, Mib2 standard, latest maps).

Text is taken from here which is Seat's map upgrade site but only if you have Mapcare & all out of date map links :).... said enough about that above.

https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/navigation/map-updates.html

In the field "Navigation Database:" 5F in place of 6P is what you will see if it's a standard Mib1. Mib2 it will start with 6P. In a Seat infotainment system the field is populated with the card's Seat part number which it extracts off the common Vag map data.
4370C328-ED70-43A5-ABD5-A054BD16A1C3.jpeg

This all good? Seems to be 6P

your second post was a better description on where to find the number

Tell

Staff member
Creating 32 GB SD Map card with a PC (Mac variations available)

Best things take longer. Exciter in one of his seminal posts of 2017 described how he cloned the original card with CID onto a new card. That's in the PDF, take the right hand button to download else you get lost in other stuff on the link.

Wrote some lines on how I did it.
Check it out here: h*ttp://w*ww.file-upload.net/download-12273220/Mapcareworkaround.pdf.html

With the standard MIB2 maps due to pop the 16GB current card limit at some future date (Skoda warns you on their portal screen in German) and the fact that the last three standard satnav Skoda card releases have been on 32GB cards and releases are now zoned to fit on 16GB cards, although currently the all Europe release fits on the 16GB card - the day of reckoning where if you fancy driving across Europe with the standard system with all maps on your current card, updated, will end. If you are not travelling across Europe no worries although this does give you a back up card. Some technical skills required thou.

In April I bought a so called "gold card" was the Samsung Evo Plus Card off ebay UK sold as "Samsung 32GB SDHC SD Memory Card - Korea Edition - CID Changeable SD". It came from Belgium or Holland. Mard30. Obviously available from anyone that sells that as such and you trust the seller.

Basically the 2016 or so Samsung Evo cards both SD and micro SD were configured in a way that the CID memory location could be re-written. This was changed in latter models so best to buy only those sold as such.

There is a thread on the subject:

https://www.gpspower.net/other-cars-gps-systems/348490-list-memory-card-editable-cid.html

The author of the code that Exciter used in the post is Richard Burton:

https://richard.burtons.org/2016/07/01/changing-the-cid-on-an-sd-card/

https://richard.burtons.org/2016/07/31/cid-change-on-sd-card-update-evoplus_cid/

The library he posted up on Github

https://github.com/raburton/evoplus_cid

The Android one is compiled since he was working with a micro SD card. Ubunto you have to recompile yourself, easy enough. There is now a Youtube video that was done by someone else using Richard's Github post using Ubunto.

Prerequisites

1. A suitable Samsung Evo Plus card sold for the purpose (32 or 64 GB, not the latest). I don't recommend working your way through a bunch of cards yourself but find a seller based on the spec above.

2. Ubunto on a laptop or other hardware where the card reader is directly connected to the motherboard. USB based ones won't work. If a tower unit has an SD card reader next to USB ports it's likely the SD card reader goes in via the USB port of the motherboard. An SD reader connected via an IDE port will not work. PCI is the order of the day with the SD reader integrated onto the motherboard. Basically the Ubunto drivers must be able to read / write to the CID and those drivers as I understand it do with PCI but nothing else.

You can experiment on whether your hardware is up to it without buying a suitable card since if it's not up to it won't return the CID. I know this from an IDE SD card reader I put on an old XP PC I was given. It became my Ubunto test machine since I didn't want to mess up my laptop, reality is that you don't have to install Ubunto on your equipment you install it on a pen / USB drive leaving the rest of the equipment in tact. You boot from the pen drive.

We take Exciters step 1

1.) Download an install Ubuntu on your USB drive. Choose „try ubuntu“ while you boot from USB.

OK we need to boot from a pen drive not copy it onto the system. He used a Mac, we'll use a PC laptop / notebook.

This is where we turn to a younger, helper:

The application is PendriveLinux.com

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

So Phillip tells you how to use that.

Worth noting if you have a mature PC laptop it's likely to be 32 bit and the 32 bit Ubunto isn't on the drop down list although it's got support for another 5 years.

You download it from here, taking the second link:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/

32-bit PC (i386) desktop image

Then using the latest release of the pen drive software Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.9.0 (or later) you can pull in the 386 iso that is not on the list by selecting Ubuntu then pick up the saved iso rather than ones the software is offering.

We're doing it with this main flavour of Ubunto since the screen layout tallies with the how to do the CID video below.

At the point where Philip stretches the bar at 5 minutes in, don't set it "as high as you possibly can" since the software won't fit on the pen drive. That piece of memory is your Ubunto environment area where your results will be stored so if you come back again you just pick up from where you got to. The drive becomes your virtual Ubunto detachable machine. I had a 64GB USB so set that bar at 50:50 giving myself 32 GB of work area. Plenty.

You next need to adjust your laptop so it finds the USB as the first bootable drive. Press F2 during boot up and make the appropriate adjustments. This varies by manufacturer. Some times you turn it "on" to boot from the USB and put the USB at the top of the list so it boots into Ubunto first. It will still see the PCs drives etc.

https://www.lifewire.com/change-the-boot-order-in-bios-2624528

or check the manual / do a Google etc. You can leave it configured like this after. You'd need it if you ever needed to use the Windows 10 recovery process where a boot USB is manufactured as part of installation.

OK once the bios is saved, reboot with USB in and it will boot into Ubunto. Now either press 'try Ubunto' or leave it to take this one after it times out from waiting for an answer. Don't install !. You can install it but you are into dual boot and there is absolutely no reason to install it, you can do the task running it off the USB drive.

It boots into Ubunto off the USB stick. Dependent on whether you have Ethernet plugged into the hardware or using wireless, for wireless head up to the top right and click the wireless icon and supply the wi-fi key. Connected via Ethernet there is nothing else to be configured.

So we watch that video to the end.

---

This point we leave Exciter's instructions and refer to the video:

The screen is indeed Ubunto :).

You open the Firefox browser and pick off Richard's git code.

The sudo -s is required again if you ever come back into this USB environment for more tinkering. Password isn't required since Ubunto isn't installed so a password is not setup.

Do the change directory and stop, you won't have git... git is here, do this:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-git-on-ubuntu-18-04-quickstart

These instructions work. So the default package updates, install git and return to video at git clone.

Motor onto 3:50, do the compile. It does compile with warnings... that isn't an issue.

Stop at 4:31. You can put your navigation card in clipped to LOCK. Check !!!.

SD will pop up on the left.

Now the all important

find /sys -name cid -print

Now if after typing that in the jnt directory you don't see the code returned in the highlighted area at 5:00. You are out of luck Ubunto isn't reading you SD card reader to get the CID (probably your SD reader isn't connected directly to the motherboard). If you have that code continue.

The more after the cut and paste shows you the CID.

Open up the text editor and paste it there and save it.

Where the video gets dangerous at mount you swap the card out from the original and put in your target card... don't swap it out and it would attempt to write back the CID to your original card. Proceed on.

That's it. That's Exciter's 1-9 on the PDF with a bit of explanation on how to do it on a PC laptop / netbook and test for whether you can do it with your hardware using

find /sys -name cid -print

returning a blank.

At this point if you haven't already got the navigation files on the target card, copy them on and you will naturally need your original overall.nds file on there as always.

Now free to drive across Europe when the standard maps for all of Europe when the 16GB file size is broken or just have a back up of your CID just in case the original card fails.

Note. Ubunto is closed down on the cog top right, shutdown. Pull out USB, equipment will boot back up as normal as long as you didn't try to install Ubunto to the the disk drive. It would ask you about disk partitioning if you went down that route by accident... (may be). The compiled software is retained on the USB and you saved the text note book file :).

----

Remember to keep the original card clipped to locked and obviously the contents copied out should disaster strike. Take care not to go onto the CID writing process with the original card still in. I would not waste time trying the writing process out on anything other than the card sold for the purpose. It's only for those original Samsung Evo Plus cards of the manufactured year in question (batch of them).

Last edited:
Reactions: Maypack
Nov 30, 2019
Hi,
I got my car with Europe 3 [V8] card and I did update (as described in # 1809 and #1810 - file dbinfo.txt was not edited) to 1430 without any issues.
Regards
Piotrek

Reactions: Tell

jshumphries

Jul 26, 2015
Carlisle
I very nearly followed the instructions on the seat website but realised the mapcare issue.

Followed these instructions and they work a treat.

Big thankyou to those on here who made it so easy to update the maps

Apr 1, 2019
Can anyone assist me, can this be upgraded or not? You be been to halfords and they said they won’t touch the head unit due to the type of wiring it has behind the unit.

can anyone help or assist me?

Attachments

• 399072A5-5BBC-4724-9F0E-ECC99533416C.jpeg
    399072A5-5BBC-4724-9F0E-ECC99533416C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 391
  • 5EB8C192-B86C-4F6E-B1F2-6F5F7CA2549B.jpeg
    5EB8C192-B86C-4F6E-B1F2-6F5F7CA2549B.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 303

Tell

Staff member
I'd put that on a general thread, this thread is about updating the maps rather than changing the unit. That's a mib1 from the 5F code year etc. I know people look at Android based units they import but I know of no more than that. People do change from mib1 to mib2 and you will find threads on that. Mib2 units will knock you back circa £800 or so and the need to buy them as a retrofit unit. The Android import ones will be cheaper if you got it to work... but as said haven't looked at these but just know of there existence.

Have a Google

https://www.google.com/search?clien...d=2ahUKEwjc_73BoOfmAhWBoXEKHZ2GDPwQBXoECAsQAQ

Think they are mostly the mib1 to 2 guys.

Or this one that pulls in the Android Car radios again Seat Leon

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-m&sxsrf=ACYBGNRa3ZKmVQjTeH1W6DpEhH1vFJgz_w:1578083944244&q=android+car+stereo+leon&oq=android+car+stereo+leon&aqs=heirloom-srp..

One here

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wireless-carplay-interface-for-vw-mib-1mib-2-golf-mk7-passat-polo/

but as said I know no more than that.

Last edited:

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Can anyone assist me, can this be upgraded or not? You be been to halfords and they said they won’t touch the head unit due to the type of wiring it has behind the unit.
can anyone help or assist me?
Just in case you don't know, the main 'box of tricks' with the power and speaker wires is in the glovebox.

Jan 5, 2020
Hi all,
i have a MIB1 5F0. Is there any chance to update navigation for free ? Or do i kick this MIB1 out ?
Thanks
And happy new year !!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.