Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Tell

Staff member
Tell
I think the link you provided for v6 above is in fact a link to v6.1. As far as I can see the v6 should be 910 not 915, Do you have a link for v6 910?

Why have you lost yours ;). It's much better if one quotes the xxxx code rather than the card code else you have to cross tally. Screenshot is better.

I got that tally from other Googles but this also tallies with that as well 915.

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-61

I note that guy never same back.

Going out, I'll look later.

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
No I have not lost mine I was just trying to be helpful !!!
I do have both v6 and v6.1 and I was reading the labels on both the DVD type cases that the sd cards come in and the cards themselves.
In spite of my thinking that I had cleared the SVM error I have not managed yet !!

Tell

Staff member
No I have not lost mine I was just trying to be helpful !!!
I do have both v6 and v6.1 and I was reading the labels on both the DVD type cases that the sd cards come in and the cards themselves.
In spite of my thinking that I had cleared the SVM error I have not managed yet !!

There was never a 0910 released on the six monthly upgrades as supported by this link, page 1 under spoiler - shows historic files.

https://www.skodacommunity.de/threads/navikarten-update-q3-2018-release-2019-fuer-mib1-mib2.103181/

0915 was was the 2018 release for June 2017
0810 was the November 2016 available in December for 2017/2018

I suspect 0910 that you have was an incremental release outside of the six month release, may be why they called 0915 v6.1 ?. Seat have done something a bit similar not releasing the High 177 latest one, but a quarter before which nobody else has released, not on the six monthly cycle. That means anyone who gets excited to try to update the maps themselves on a high via the back end menu wont have a restore copy once Seat take that release off their servers. They would have to go to 175 if they don't who have Mapcare or retrofit software.

The OP has not come back so they have either lost interest or didn't bother to say thank you that it worked. SVM errors can be tricky since as I mentioned before they can go down several levels requiring a repeat clear, reboot and the code to clear check again since sometimes that changes. Originally thought to be static but no they change least on the MIB2 High with retrofit firmware.

I seem to get an SVM with my retrofit firmware after the June update or radio icons I updated... not so sure where it came from. Clear code changed, recomputed it and it fixed it :). Saying this I did get an error saying navigation data was not valid recently on the FIS screen and a VCDS error of the same. Reboot fixed that. Cleared that if not twice on OBDELEVEN, clear errors and it went away since. Not an SVM error thou. Think these were related possibly to the retrofit firmware or may be the unit didn't boot up correctly on a one off start up. Bag of cat litter in the boot at Pets at Home and it blew a raspberry. Wait to see what the next release brings. I share notes with Walone on any idiosyncratic behaviour of the retrofit software on the High.

PS if it really is 0910 their solution is to buy that card again off ebay and just copy the overall.nds file out if they can't get it from anywhere else. The original card is locked to the unit but the overall.nds is common within release. May be 0910 / 0915 was what was slushing about on the 2018 post I linked to on this thread. Sorted :).

Last edited:

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
Ooops I have made a mistake in my above post probably due to advancing years.
You are quite right Tell there was not a version 910. The correct version is 820.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused but I found the link above to be very usefull indeed.
I am in two minds as to persevere or not with the error as by re-reading previous posts it may not be an SVM error but as it does not affect the working of the satnav I may just ignore it - time will tell

Tell

Staff member
I'll let you off :).

As I said it's much better if people backup their SD card before changing anything and take a screen shot of the version code. More heavy work matching the Seat card serial number to the map version code (xxxx number) to dig people out of a hole.

Oct 29, 2019
hi guys
i have bought a seat leon 5f 2014, with mib1. card v4, and it is updated to 2017. how can i further update it? looks like it had mapcare, which ended then
thank you!

Tell

Staff member
hi guys
i have bought a seat leon 5f 2014, with mib1. card v4, and it is updated to 2017. how can i further update it? looks like it had mapcare, which ended then
thank you!

Definitely take a copy of the SD card then try an update. If it doesnt work copy the old one back. You won't loose anything. Since we've never had Mapcare in the UK we don't really know the products available to extend it further. Skoda and VW have scrapped it so I do wonder what happens if you try to go beyond.

Tell

Staff member
Unfortunately we dont know of any mib1 solutions apart from seeing a dealer. The ebay solution of buying mib1 cards wasn't 100% successful without visiting a dealer afterwards and getting it installed by them. Bunch of people in 2016 tried to follow someone on here who had done it themselves but they all failed. Heresay evidence. On the thread if you wind back. If you do it tell us the part numbers.

awsm

Sep 25, 2019
I used the VW Discover Care software to update my Seat v7 SD card then copied the OVERALL.NDS file back. I went from 1030 2018/2019 to 1310 2020. I assume 1310 is the latest update?

Tell

Staff member
I used the VW Discover Care software to update my Seat v7 SD card then copied the OVERALL.NDS file back. I went from 1030 2018/2019 to 1310 2020. I assume 1310 is the latest update?

At the minute. Probably a month away till there is an update available. It will be in November but tends to be the backend. The VW Discover Care software which makes it easier for Mac users is always much later than the direct downloads and the VW screen.

Roll out tends to go

Skoda direct download

VW direct download

VW screen

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/

then VW Discover Care package

long after that Seat. (All identical)

When the Skoda one comes out I'll give the link which uses the Skoda Download Manager which includes unzip functionality which I reckon is useful for Mac users but you can use the Mac VW instructions which are these if you use the direct links:

Also as a place marker for MAC users the recommended VAG software to clear the rubbish from a MAC unzip of the download map file is the free utility CleanMyDrive 2 whilst for a PC 7zip. From the October 2019 VAG pdf notes:

ATTENTION

If the map update is performed using the Apple® OS X operating system you may find that
Discover Media does not recognise the map material or displays it incorrectly. This is due to
a lack of compatibility between the “7 zip” program and the OS-X operating system. In
addition, the OS-X operating system has a tendency to create hidden additional files on
external data media. We therefore recommend that OS X users use the “Keka” unzipping
program. We also recommend using the “CleanMyDrive” program to remove any hidden files.

VW servers are generally better than the Skoda ones for timing out due to high use after release. The Skoda one with the download manager variant gives more reliability if you are on ropy internet. That option is similar to the VW Discover Care one but not as pretty.

So were we are - expecting the Mib2 high one to breakcover in a weeks time or so and the standard end November / first week December if normal roll out proceeds. Skoda are having issues with their portal at the minute which may effect the release of the Skoda site ones I guess if they have a basic hold up on their processes. We'll rely on VW in that case :).

Last edited:
Reactions: awsm

Josef

Dec 3, 2018
But this is not a working method for MIB1-units, isnt it?

Tell

Staff member
But this is not a working method for MIB1-units, isnt it?

No that was Mib2 Standard. There is no known repeatable DIY workaround to Mapcare for standard Mib1. VW Discover Care package is the supposedly more friendly user way of updating the MIB2 SD Card offered on the VW site. More handy for MAC users but always delivered much later that than the download link files. For MAC users the download link files can be used to Keka on a MAC. I link to the their text for MAC users.

There are MAC users on here that have no issues but borrowing a recent text from the Skoda German board on how to do it since I'm not a MAC user:

1) Prevent automatic opening of packed files in Safari (Settings -> General -> check the box next to "Open secure" files after loading <<)
2) Download the map package from the Skoda Update Portal
3) delete data on original Skoda SD card (via Finder all files / folders in the trash and then empty this)
4) Unpack package via free program "Keka" directly to SD card (could take some time)

Obviously for the workaround you still have to copy the original overall.nds file back again that's been talked about numerous times above.

MACs generated hidden additional characters which mess up the map file from being recognised in the infotainment system. VW Discover Care avoids the need to take these steps for MAC users but always arrives a month so so late from the latest release.

No news on the latest release although Skoda have their portal working again so must be a matter of weeks away.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
The Mib2 Plus / High & Mib1 High update for November 2019 is now available for download:

http://vw-mapscdn.tdd.adacorcdn.com/P184_N60S5MIBH3_EU.7z

also on Skoda Servers

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/HIGH12_P184_EU_2020.zip

For Plus / High users with Mapcare (no UK cars) or for those running retrofit software only.

No good for standard users - you got to wait as per normal a few more weeks.

Thanks to the German Skoda board eagle eyes - I had been testing out the range of codes in the last period but it hasn't been there till today. I'll load it on my unit running retrofit software in the week.

Note all that we say about the use of Macs on these downloads.

(those UK Seat Ateca Cupra owners with the Plus unit have got to get your firmware changed to retrofit unless the interim short term Mapcare can handle it... cue agonising questions :))

----

Edit

For mib2 high users outside Europe the Rest of the World ECE 2020 ones are contained in this Russian board link:

https://www.drive2.ru/l/545083990055323571/?page=0#comments

Which is

http://vw-mapscdn.tdd.adacorcdn.com/P84_N60S5MIBH3_ROW.7z

Of note the guy Martini found these via a Bash script he installed on his sat tv box. Found them on the 7th November via automated methods rather than the 10th via manual methods used by the guy on the German Skoda board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walone

ghostbustertab

Jun 21, 2016
The Mib2 Plus / High & Mib1 High update for November 2019 is now available for download:

For Plus / High users with Mapcare (no UK cars) or for those running retrofit software only.

Thanks to the German Skoda board eagle eyes - I had been testing out the range of codes in the last period but it hasn't been there till today. I'll load it on my unit running retrofit software in the week.

(those UK Seat Ateca Cupra owners with the Plus unit have got to get your firmware changed to retrofit unless the interim short term Mapcare can handle it... cue agonising questions :))

I've heard of a mib2 high toolkit, it's like a min hack I think, cqn i do updates then is that correct?

Tell

Staff member
I've heard of a mib2 high toolkit, it's like a min hack I think, cqn i do updates then is that correct?

I know there are / is a Facebook user group. I had mine done via a well known retrofitter that operates out of Croydon (now Doncaster) following @Walone who had his first done. Same unit running retrofit firmware. The firmware has to be matched to the hardware serial number. So different units get different firmware dependent on where ever they get it from. They also need access to ODIS to register it in. I was told by other UK retrofitter they couldn't do a firmware update since they didnt have ODIS. I think only one output does it in the UK.

What I can say TMC needs to be set to 15 afterwards. Walones' unit wasn't and an Italian Audi guy contacted me with the same issue. I got them to do it with VCDS after they finished. It took about 2.5 hours of work. They drove off and I then did the retrofit map update procedure and I jumped from release one 153 of the maps to 169, 177 last time round. Cost me £300, Walone £200. Best to agree a price ;).... although I made him go through my check list - extra time. The Ateca changed from 2017 firmware to 2019 firmware albeit with the mod.

Basically they read the 5F units settings, manufacture the update, install the update, configure the update with finishing ODIS touches. It rested on the guys knees, half in half out. The front camera port was used to read the live data into a laptop to get at the settings without pulling the unit out. The update was manufactured and downloaded over 4g back into the laptop. From then into the unit via SD card.

Somebody contacted me from Germany thinking I lived in Germany. I think there may be enthusiasts about that meet up. Suspect it's a bit too technical for your average enthuast to perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walone

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow

Hi Tell, I won't be updating mine for a while, I've been using Android Auto/Google maps mostly even on routes I know as it gives excellent info on traffic problems with alternative routes.

Tell

Staff member
I always check Google before starting off :)... or if the co-driver things start to look busy will have a look on Google / Waze. Keep the cars inbuilt system on and supplement. On the high you can re-route via stretching the route on the screen, you can't do on the standard (match with Google's alternative if better). That ones handy at times. Can't be used with waypoints thou, either one or the other. Use a lot of them.

Online mapping doesn't work in rural parts with poor 4G, you don't get the heads up which is useful on lane guidance. I can see in busy commutes Google / Waze may have the edge but then everyone takes the same re-route. Seen that on the M1 where they all go off together in convoy. Obviously
Google is an an external device so gets lost in tunnel interchanges which inbuilt ones dont. Always quote the Luxembourg city centre one where I'd end up going round in circles. Never with the inbuilt one.

Last edited:

Godzzi

Nov 11, 2019
Hello eveyone,

New here and new Leon owner. Got it second hand from Germany but it came without the SD card. Most likely it was stolen in transport and the seller refuses to compensate me for my loss. I don't really care about the actual card, but what I want is to be able to have maps. From what I read in this thread, I would need the number from the SD card so I would download the initial map version which is activated with my MIB2. I do have a picture of the card but it's not clear enough to see the number. My other choice is to get multiple version of maps and try all of them until I find the proper one that is activated with my MIB. My car is from April 2016, details here:
https://damage.adesa.eu/report/getfile/CarDamageReport2359102-4102019141141.pdf

This is my MIB:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jE2YnefPrSyxhb8t7

Anyone can help?

Tell

Staff member
Hello eveyone,

New here and new Leon owner. Got it second hand from Germany but it came without the SD card. Most likely it was stolen in transport and the seller refuses to compensate me for my loss. I don't really care about the actual card, but what I want is to be able to have maps. From what I read in this thread, I would need the number from the SD card so I would download the initial map version which is activated with my MIB2. I do have a picture of the card but it's not clear enough to see the number. My other choice is to get multiple version of maps and try all of them until I find the proper one that is activated with my MIB. My car is from April 2016, details here:
https://damage.adesa.eu/report/getfile/CarDamageReport2359102-4102019141141.pdf

This is my MIB:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jE2YnefPrSyxhb8t7

Anyone can help?

I think we can work on the basis it's Mib2 standard from the report date.

This is where we reach this question of whether the infotainment unit is registered to a common CID of the release card or whether each SD card has it's own unique CID. I've always thought the later myself so you are a bit stuck if the card is missing. Nobody has ever told me I'm wrong but the question has been asked before by people who don't have the card. The unit is tide to the CID of the card but updates are possibly via the work around method talked about on the thread. The overall.nds file is unique to the release but not unique to the card.

Assuming the CID is physically connected to the unique card that's missing your dealer has to activate the unit with a new card then you can use the workaround method theirafter. If I'm wrong they don't, but reckon I'm right. Only Linux / Ubunto can read the CIDs of these cards, Windows drivers can't.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.