Need New Engine

arossi101

Cupra 290 ST
Sep 5, 2016
Glasgow
Yesterday on the way behind a bus doing well under the speed limit, my oil pump decided to stop working.
On what must have been the first rattle from it i pulled in and switched off, then got my mate to tow me to nearest VW garage that as a favour looked at it yesterday afternoon.
As you can see from the pics it isnt good news, my pride and joy is knackered and i can admit i was close to tears when i got they pics.

Does anyone know of a good place that would have an engine for a 66 plate 290?
Ive had a look online but prices range between 2 and 5 grand?

Attachments

• IMG-20201019-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20201019-WA0008.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG-20201019-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20201019-WA0007.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG-20201019-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20201019-WA0006.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 324

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I feel for you. Can the garage salvage your old engine and recon it?

monkeynuts

TIME FOR BED SAID "Z"
Oct 2, 2003
Area 51
Visit site
Strip it out and then look at the bearings. Worst case crank regrind and a new set of shells complete flush out to get rid of the swarf and **** new oil pump and fingers crossed .Depending on what millage the engine has done get a rebore and new pistons .............................. Walah

Reactions: Legojon

arossi101

Cupra 290 ST
Sep 5, 2016
Glasgow
My car has only done 30000 and full service history.

Not one warning light came on, which is strange. Phoned Seat customer services and they said i need to get it to a Seat branch and get it stripped at my expense of course then hope for good will, depending on what the garage says.

Its 20 hours labour to strip plus parts, thats an estimate aswell.

Problem with that amount of swarf i would need to strip every bit of the engine and wash it out, then send the turbo away to get checked properly incase it reached that far up.

Ill get the car over to Seat on a flat bed snd then its hope for the best but plan for the worst and price a recon one as an exchange unit from Seat is 5500 plus vat at cost, plus fitting and oils etc!

Last edited:

arossi101

Cupra 290 ST
Sep 5, 2016
Glasgow
Apart from and exhaust and a ram air intake its standard. I keep thinking about any signs of it going to happen but there wasnt any, i got home from work on Friday night and it sat there until Monday morning when it happend.
Its going to be a lean Xmas this year!

monkeynuts

TIME FOR BED SAID "Z"
Oct 2, 2003
Area 51
Visit site
Once the oil light comes on unless you dip the clutch or turn off straight away the engine is damaged .A Seat dealer will rape you on hourly rate :( can you find a sponsored garage who is near you to do the job their rate should be cheaper

Butty

Sep 7, 2018
Once the oil light comes on unless you dip the clutch or turn off straight away the engine is damaged .A Seat dealer will rape you on hourly rate :( can you find a sponsored garage who is near you to do the job their rate should be cheaper
The oil level light is OK but the pressure light is the more depressing one to get.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Apart from and exhaust and a ram air intake its standard. I keep thinking about any signs of it going to happen but there wasnt any, i got home from work on Friday night and it sat there until Monday morning when it happend.
Its going to be a lean Xmas this year!
They will blame the mods and you won’t get a penny towards it.
Either put back to standard and get them to investigate or take elsewhere and expect to pay

arossi101

Cupra 290 ST
Sep 5, 2016
Glasgow
Ive got the mods off and thankfully i hadnt had it mapped yet because if they plugged the tester in and that shows up id definitely be screwed.
Its to go into SEAT hopefully by Monday and by next weekend will know what is happening

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members