Need urgent help car won't go into gear *PIC OF PUDDLE*

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
My car won't go into any gear, it goes into them all when switched off but as soon you turn the engine on they won't go in.

The gearbox has been working 100% spot on until this morning. There is a massive puddle at the bottom of my street that I went through slowly and it was ok so I don't think that's the cause.

Any ideas???

Last edited:

dvdt

Mar 28, 2010
Larkhall
Not to cause panic but sounds like clutch isn't engaging properly

Guessing it just makes crunching noise when trying to select gears?

Last edited:

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
Big Ecks wife here (Claire), it's me who's using the car and Eck can't reply so here goes...

When the engines running, I put my foot on the clutch and I cant put it in any gear, it's not making crunching noises or anything it's just not going into gear at all. I can take my foot off the clutch and the clutch pedal comes up fine.

When the engine isn't running it goes into gear perfectly smooth, as it normally would while it's running.

It's driving me mad. I went through some bad puddles yesterday which now feels like it was a bad idea :-(

Cx

dvdt

Mar 28, 2010
Larkhall
I doubt the puddles have had anything to do with it.

Give John a call @ Bedrock 01698 254666 or Alex MacLaren 07803280203 - I use either of them for all repairs I can't do myself and they might be able to give you a steer in the right direction. Both based in Motherwell.

Sorry I cant be of more help

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
Well it turned out to be the water from the massive deep puddle after all. The clutch plate stuck closed the way your brakes sometimes seize on a bit in wet weather. I started the car in gear and it just freed itself instantly with a bit of a bump. Took it out for a spin and all is well again. THANK FECK lol

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
That's a new one on me. I'll keep it in mind if I should ever have the same trouble.

How did the water get into the clutch, though? Is the timing inspection bung missing from the top?

dvdt

Mar 28, 2010
Larkhall
Ah well my doubts were confirmed!

Glad its all sorted anyway and I shall keep avoiding puddles....if possible!

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
That's a new one on me. I'll keep it in mind if I should ever have the same trouble.

How did the water get into the clutch, though? Is the timing inspection bung missing from the top?

The clutch area isn't completely sealed, although there is a stone guard between the block and the bellhousing (at the bottom) it doesn't keep it watertight. I'd imagine the water was deep enough to be above the bottom of the gearbox/sump joint. Much the same that can give you a slipping clutch after wading lol (done it myself :rolleyes:)

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Really? You can tell I've never had the sump off my car, can't you :)

I suppose it makes sense to let anything that falls or leaks into the clutch housing to fall out of the bottom.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Really? You can tell I've never had the sump off my car, can't you :)

I suppose it makes sense to let anything that falls or leaks into the clutch housing to fall out of the bottom.

It's right enough, you can poke your fingers in where the bolts go up that end so it's not sealed. (The little sods up behind the flywheel)

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
I was extremely short on the phone with her when she told me put it that way lol.

The next time it floods over I'll take a pic and show you how deep it can get. It's the only way in and out of my street so we need to go through it. Happens ever year, it was so bad last year the fire brigade had to attend and try and drain some away.

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
Well this is the puddle in question. Its the 5th time in 2 months this has happened due to the bad weather up here.

04044395.jpg

297d4d8a.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.