New Ateca due on Wed!

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Hi folks,

I'm from the Leon Mk3 area. I'm collecting a new silver Ateca SE Technology on Wednesday. It's the 1.6 Diesel version with convenience pack, reverse camera and a few other bits and bobs.

I got a shockingly good deal from my Cupra trade in so I'm very happy price wise.

I'm looking for any advice/hints about the Ateca and is there anything I should watch out for?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member
I did have about three build issues in 2016 where things were left off but I reckon they may be on top of if now.

A. Heated right wing mirror not connected circuit left open

B. Wireless charger unit left out of an Xellence, that was a build issue I'd say where Seat UK hadn't checked their mapping tables of what was suppose to be in the car, spec-ing a Plus navigation pushed out the wireless charger

C. Passenger foot light left off. This one occurred a lot on the continent. Sometimes the carpet is fitted over it and needs pulling back, mine didn't have it

I suspect they are better at checking the build quality these days.

I also got a non aligned rear door as well. I think they were shoving them out without much QA in 2016. Other than that it's runs very well.

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I did have about three build issues in 2016 where things were left off but I reckon they may be on top of if now.

A. Heated right wing mirror not connected circuit left open

B. Wireless charger unit left out of an Xellence, that was a build issue I'd say where Seat UK hadn't checked their mapping tables of what was suppose to be in the car, spec-ing a Plus navigation pushed out the wireless charger

C. Passenger foot light left off. This one occurred a lot on the continent. Sometimes the carpet is fitted over it and needs pulling back, mine didn't have it

I suspect they are better at checking the build quality these days.

I also got a non aligned rear door as well. I think they were shoving them out without much QA in 2016. Other than that it's runs very well.
Thanks for reply Tell.

I'm not too sure of the build date on my car as it's the actual one in the showroom. Hopefully it's 2018 as it's been in the showroom for a while.

As the car is an SE Tech model does it have the puddle lights? (No ignition to test) I noticed that the lenses were present but being SEAT maybe there not present?

I do hope my build model has those issues ironed out.

Tell

Staff member
On the puddle lights the December 2017 brochure would suggest not, page 32 / 33. Page 32 for the SE Technology doesn't list it over the standard SE Trim whilst, page 33 covering the FR adds over the standard SE Trim "Door mirrors with welcome light silhouette". Could be a publishing thing thou. It's shown on the Xcellence, so I reckon you only get it on those two.

If it's not a 2018 with proper full LED you can change the rear indicator and reversing bulbs to LED. I wonder how bright the 2018 proper full LED bulbs are in that area against the DIY mods. I get pretty bright reversing lights with the ones I put in as per the thread and rear indicators. I'm not a big fog light person so I didn't touch the front fogs but I did put on that thread a link to how to get at them.

You'll easily know whether it's a 2018 by putting the fogs on and turning the wheel to check for cornering lights. They were only factory installed to work like this on the 2018. Not the end of the world. Ateca's have the 40 mph fog on warning so those people that like to use fog lights irresponsibly the car remonstrates at them. Implementation of 30 mph German fog light law with a margin.

The 2018 model appeared in the May 2017 catalogue so I suspect you have a 2018 else it would have been in the dealership for a long time. The model you are getting doesn't require Adblue that's only on the 2.0 litre diesels. I haven't heard of any issues with that engine. The Adblue is easy enough to do at the pumps. I've filled up twice now. I suspect your regeneration process will be different to mine with SCR where I get active and passive cycles dependent on how warm the catalyst is. Neither is an issue except you get to hear the fans running at high speed if you stop during one of the active ones, there is no warning that its doing this. I just ignore it, I don't do Honest John's daft anti diesel suggestion of restarting it and racing around in it. I keep out of ECO since that just hinders the SCR process.

SSP 163 here gives you a technical overview of the Ateca at launch, these are the VAG training manuals.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http...6Ao0QFggSMAM&usg=AOvVaw2vGcCWTQ-_A_VMcfoIJsSd

So it's a good read. You can subscribe to Erwin to get workshop manuals and the rest.

Last edited:

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Thanks for info guys. I picked up the car on Wednesday and I'm pleasantly surprised with it.

The engine is a bit weedy and noisy but is more than adequate for what is needed.

The car must be a 2018 build as it has the puddle lights, cornering fogs.

I'm loving the the Media System screen, it's such an improvement on the Cupra.

I have one issue though. The Sat Nav is not working!!!

The dealership requested the SD card from SEAT, once received the sales guy expected it to be plug and play as it's registered to the car but it didn't work (no surprise there! I already knew this) He had it in the workshop for 30 mins but still couldn't get it going. As I was pressed for time they've booked it in next week so they can have a proper crack at it! It's not major issue as I rarely use nav but I do want it working!

I also got the SEAT protection pack (Mudflaps, rubber mats and bootliner chucked in) I'll probably eBay the latter as they are no use to me.

Otherwise we like the Ateca, it was a close call as we were close to getting a pre facelift CX-5 but the SEAT won with all the extras!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members