New Car?!?

xSCYTHERx

Jul 29, 2011
London
So I havent posted on here in a while mainly because ive gone back to University for my final year and dont take my car with me :cry:

However, luckily for me I have hopefully just secured a graduate job starting in September 2013 and am very much looking forward to purchasing a new car!!

So quick question for those that have either bought a new car after their ibiza and still visit the forum or those looking to buy in the future what direction to go in.

I will be around 22/23 when I purchase the new car so insurance will obviously be a key issue. I wont be looking to buy until maybe the summer of 2014 and it wont be a new car - always prefer to buy low mileage second hand and save a bung of cash. Probably looking at around maybe 15-18k so the question is what would you buy?

Options:
Main option at the moment - Audi S3 - low mileage for about 17k - will I be able to insure it?
Toyota GT86 - will it have come down on the 2nd hand market enough?
Lotus Elise
Or some other generic hot hatch such as Astra VXR etc

Thoughts?

xSCYTHERx

Jul 29, 2011
London
Must be a sweet to be able to get that kind of cash.

Personally I would get a 330d.

Might sound a bit silly considering first choice currently is the S3 but 330d is far too much of a "rep mobile" for me tbh.

Sounds like they'll be paying you well!

Yeah I am very lucky to have got the job but ive been working over the past 5 years so managed to save up a fair bit of cash too :)

How much do you expect insurance to cost on a S3 ?

That will be the main problem and why I am going to wait until at least June 2014 so that I will be 23. By then I will hopefully have 5/6 years no claims discount and also will be on a multi-car policy with parents but this I feel will be the main stumbling block. Ibiza is insurance group 13 and I currently pay around £700 - thats with mods declared. S3 is insurance group 18 so does anybody know roughly how much more this is gunna be?

thinking quite far ahead here arnt you.
out of the cars you have mentioned id go for the audi myself but its all down to personal choice not really something anyone else can decide for you.

Totally agree its down to personal choice just looking for suggestions encase I have missed a glaringly obvious car or something that is in my budget 2nd hand that I wouldn't expect to be.

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Might sound a bit silly considering first choice currently is the S3 but 330d is far too much of a "rep mobile" for me tbh.

Yeah I am very lucky to have got the job but ive been working over the past 5 years so managed to save up a fair bit of cash too :)

That will be the main problem and why I am going to wait until at least June 2014 so that I will be 23. By then I will hopefully have 5/6 years no claims discount and also will be on a multi-car policy with parents but this I feel will be the main stumbling block. Ibiza is insurance group 13 and I currently pay around £700 - thats with mods declared. S3 is insurance group 18 so does anybody know roughly how much more this is gunna be?

Totally agree its down to personal choice just looking for suggestions encase I have missed a glaringly obvious car or something that is in my budget 2nd hand that I wouldn't expect to be.

Forgot to say coupe. Rep mobile indeed lol.

$T2eC16dHJGwE9n)yUs8FBQ-VcVO8t!~~_12.JPG

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
I would buy a lovely late e46 m3 convertible. I sold my e36 m3 convertible earlier on last year to get my cupra tdi as I needed something cheaper to run after buying a house but if I had some spare cash I would get a e46 m3 tomorrow.
Insurance might be a bit high though.

xSCYTHERx

Jul 29, 2011
London
Forgot to say coupe. Rep mobile indeed lol.

$T2eC16dHJGwE9n)yUs8FBQ-VcVO8t!~~_12.JPG

So this is now number one choice. Can get a nice 330D for about 19K to the spec I want (M-Pack) etc!! Also a remap will take the figures roughly to that of a 335D which is hell of a lot more expensive!!

I am getting fairly bored of the Ibiza now and wondering if I should get something in-between this and the 330D. Any thoughts? I was looking at like 10K so maybe a Clio Sport 200 or a Leon Cupra?

xSCYTHERx

Jul 29, 2011
London
123d or 330d m sport coupes with remaps. Ridiculous fast and economical

I think its going to have to be a 330D Coupe M-Pack - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304306532606/sort/default/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/fuel-type/diesel/price-to/20000/price-from/10000/body-type/coupe/maximum-age/up_to_4_years_old/model/3_series/make/bmw/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/keywords/330D/page/1/radius/1501/postcode/ba149jz?logcode=p
With a remap they put out some series power and torque figures yet also return great MPG. Interior build quality is just on a next level when compared with Ford and Vauxhall as well.

Audi S3 would be a good choice! If you go for a VXR would have to be a Nurburgring VXR, so much nicer than 'normal' ones!

I really wanted an S3 originally but I think they look too common now tbh. No denying that they are an incredible car however!!

FR_MATT

Jun 2, 2010
If you're not planning on doing many miles... VXR8 ;) the noise is hard to beat!

I got quoted £1100 for insurance age 24 with 5 years no claims

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members