New dampers for FR

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The ride on my 2016 FR is a bit crashy. Not terrible but it could be better. 150 so solid rear axle.

Has anyone swapped the dampers on this car and if so, what for? I'm looking at Bilstien.

Thank you :0)

Rockbox

Apr 6, 2018
My rear shocks on FR SC are leaking I was looking at Bilstein B4 or Monroe one's as I've had both on different cars but never a Seat and they have been fine.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
18 or 17 inch wheels? 17 makes a huge difference to the ride quality.

I wouldn't describe it as huge. Fairly small I'd say. We've got two FRs, a 2016 and a 2017, both on 18s and the facelift has better ride quality. They've clearly changed the suspension. WE've used 16, 17 and 18 inch wheels on our Leons and there is a difference but it's not huge. In fact one of our cars has 16' winter wheels on just now, that's two inches of a drop, and it's not that noticeable.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Be sure to give Damian a shout

To be honest what I first want to do is find unbiased opinions on whether or not replacement dampers are actually better than the stock pre-facelift FR ones.

MatTheMerciless

Feb 16, 2019
I’ve got Bilstein B8’s on my TDI ST. They’re fantastic. They’re a huge step up from OEM. Imagine they’re a step up from the FR suspension too.
No more crashing into potholes. Definitely a firmer ride but the ride quality is much improved and it’s much flatter in the corners.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I’ve got Bilstein B8’s on my TDI ST. They’re fantastic. They’re a huge step up from OEM. Imagine they’re a step up from the FR suspension too.

My problem is that unless you're replacing FR suspension it doesn't help. Cornering flatter than SE/comfort suspension? FR suspension does that.

How much were the Bilstein dampers? Is the car beam or independent rear end?

MatTheMerciless

Feb 16, 2019
My problem is that unless you're replacing FR suspension it doesn't help. Cornering flatter than SE/comfort suspension? FR suspension does that.

How much were the Bilstein dampers? Is the car beam or independent rear end?

There’s a difference in set up sure, the FR is a bit stiffer and lower than standard. Just my opinion of course, but Bilstein shocks are a premium part, I’d argue that they’re better than what’s on the FR anyway.

I paid about £520 for a full set of B8’s, plus £115 for Eibach Pro springs and £120 for a Whiteline anti-roll bar. Rear torsion and 18inch wheels.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I paid about £520 for a full set of B8’s, plus £115 for Eibach Pro springs and £120 for a Whiteline anti-roll bar. Rear torsion and 18inch wheels.

If you changed all that you don't really have any idea what the dampers contributed. I'm inclined to think the Bilstein dampers would be better than the stock FR ones but I'm not spending £500 on a guess.

MatTheMerciless

Feb 16, 2019
If you changed all that you don't really have any idea what the dampers contributed. I'm inclined to think the Bilstein dampers would be better than the stock FR ones but I'm not spending £500 on a guess.

Just trying to help pal.You said you were looking at Bilsteins, I have Bilsteins. ?‍♂️
I can live without the grief though ?

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
I'm also looking for dampers for my FR 184 at the moment. Koni don't do the mk. 3 at all. Bilstein only do rear B6 dampers for the mk. 3 according to their part finder. I've been on the monroe website and they do their Premium line for the car which sound pretty decent and are reasonably priced ??‍♂️. If anyone with the same car's searching, I've just measured and the front dampers are 55mm, not 50mm.

MatTheMerciless

Feb 16, 2019
I'm also looking for dampers for my FR 184 at the moment. Koni don't do the mk. 3 at all. Bilstein only do rear B6 dampers for the mk. 3 according to their part finder. I've been on the monroe website and they do their Premium line for the car which sound pretty decent and are reasonably priced ??‍♂️. If anyone with the same car's searching, I've just measured and the front dampers are 55mm, not 50mm.

I think 35-229919 is the 55mm B8 front Bilstein shock, so presumably they make a B6 too. Try emailing [email protected]
The Bilstein are mono-tube which makes a big difference. There’s no cavitation, which is partly what causing the crashing into potholes etc.

Reactions: Woody_72

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I'm also looking for dampers for my FR 184 at the moment. Koni don't do the mk. 3 at all. Bilstein only do rear B6 dampers for the mk. 3

Are you sure? the 184 has basically the same suspension as the Golf GTi and there must be loads of options for that. I would have thought that anything that fits the Golf will fit the Leon 184?

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
Are you sure? the 184 has basically the same suspension as the Golf GTi and there must be loads of options for that. I would have thought that anything that fits the Golf will fit the Leon 184?

Cheers Mr. Pig, I thought the 184 was the same as the GT-TDI rather that the GTI? Man, VAG cars are confusing :D.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Cheers Mr. Pig, I thought the 184 was the same as the GT-TDI rather that the GTI? Man, VAG cars are confusing :D.

Well yeah but the suspension layout is the same on all four cars. The point is that you have the independent rear suspension common to the Golfs above 150 bhp so there will be far more options for dampers etc.

NeilMcK

Dec 31, 2007
Central Scotland
Thanks for doing the measurement - I've got a 184 SC (same colour as yours Woody) and bilstein site was coming up with both 55 and 50mm front struts. The rears are definitely independent rear suspension. Was tending to Bilstein B6 as I'd be planning to keep the FR springs to keep the same height.

I came from a Mk7 Golf Gti and find the ride in the golf was much better, would love to know what SEAT changed to make it so much crashier, especially at the rear.

Been looking at Koni's, Bilstein etc but no decision so far, want an improvement, but not rock hard or scraping the ground (well past the wrong side of 40 lol) so would be keen to find out what you get and if what you get improves things.

Might be later in the year, spent a fortune this year, 40k service, DSG oil & filter, cambelt & water pump - ouch.

Cheers,

Neil.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members