New guy building a Ibiza Cupra Rally car

Cupra_Rally

Jul 27, 2013
Hi all.

I've been doing road rallies in a much older car (71 mini clubman with a very quick engine) but decided that in order to preserve this car and not kill it i needed something else to throw down the lanes of north wales and the peak district.

The decision was brewed after we competed on the GP memorial rally a few weeks back and although doing very well at the time clearing the first section, we came to a ford (river not the car!) that looked 'not that deep!'....I was wrong!

Drove in (in a mini remember so very low) and not having enough rev's the engine stalled and would not start. The water was over sill level so i climbed out of the window to retrieve a tow rope from the boot.....whilst spectators shouted abuse in my direction. These same speccies then helped get the car (now full of water) to the bank, bump started and away we went.

We finished the event and even overtook a Xsara VTS, so the mini ain't that slow before any of you mock. Got an ok result, but I was already considering my options for a better and stronger road rally substitute.

Long story short, was offered a 98 Ibiza Cupra Sport Gti with a sparco cage and bucket seats. had just sold my mk1 golf gti so had a few pennies burning a hole in my rally car pocket.

Deal was done and now i'm trying to fix all the small issues before spending any cash on suspension etc.

So far i've worked out that:

The door handle paddle design is stupid, and falls apart! (repair kit ordered)

Reverse light switch gets rusty and seizes open (repaired)

The rear seat back is very heavy and needs lightening (have to keep interior in for road rally)

The gear linkage is pants and needs sorting! (any ideas???)

Needs uprated and standard height (or slightly higher) suspension rather than lowered springs to avoid ripping the arse out of it on rough sections. Was looking at Bilstein B6 shockers unless anyone has any cheaper suggestions?

Any advice or words of encouragement (or heckling) greatly appreciated.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Welcome, not really sure on any of your questions but sure am looking forward to seeing this car! Someone else will have the answers you are after!

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
Welcome.

To shorten the throw for the gear shift, assuming that is what you are after, you need to keep an eye out for a B&M short shift. I don't think you can get them new any more, but they come up for sale now and then.

Please start a reader's ride thread so I can keep an eye on your progress.

Cupra_Rally

Jul 27, 2013
Welcome.

To shorten the throw for the gear shift, assuming that is what you are after, you need to keep an eye out for a B&M short shift. I don't think you can get them new any more, but they come up for sale now and then.

Please start a reader's ride thread so I can keep an eye on your progress.

Alright mate. No its not the throw thats the issue, its just the sheer amount of play in the selector on top of the gearbox. Couldn't work out why i was struggling to find 3rd, then grabbed hold of the weight on the selector and there is heaps of play in that area so reckon thats causing my bad gear change. Wouldn't be so bad if VAG had stuck with rod change instead of cable!

Will keep an eye out for the B&M kit tho...i assume it ain't B&M bargains that made it...ha ha.

Another thing to add.....I am looking for 15" wheels for rallying. The car came with the lovely standard 16" multispoke Ronal's but i really need 15's so i can fit higher profile gravel tyres. I'd really like something along the lines of compomotive, or speedline, or OZ or anything strong and motorsporty. Even consider 4 stud BBS Solitudes as painted white they would look like Compo MO's. I would like a set of 6 ideally.

If anyone out there has any wheels in need of a refurb and a new home please let me know. Tyres are not needed unless you have rally tyres on them.

Cheers

spud31

Rail Zip User
Jul 14, 2011
bilstein b6 superb dampers, i have b8 which are the shortened version and the ride excellent

Cupra_Rally

Jul 27, 2013
Pics of the mini x

Once i've worked out how to chuck some pic's up i will. I do have a link to another forum which has heaps of pic's and action shots but the people who make the rules say i've got to make 15 posts on here before i can post a link to another site. be patient.