new LCR advice

tony_burrin

Jul 23, 2012
rutland for now
hey all im looking to buy my first LCR at the end of the month ive been looking for 1 for about 7 - 8 months so i no exactly what i want from 1. One has just come up in silver with the limited edition recaro interior in my price range but it has NO service history and has done 124.000miles beed advice asap please its perfect but wat do i do cheers guys

R99AN H

Stage 2 APR mapped R
May 13, 2012
Coventry
Does seem strange to have no History at all....
When I purchased mine it had 89k on it but had a folder the size of the yellow pages to back it up!
As Eck says I'd personally steer clear.

Xizor

Sep 22, 2002
Oxfordshire
Visit site
When you say it has no history, do you mean the service book is missing?

If it is you could try ringing Seat to see if they have any records for it. They may be able to tell you if it had any warranty work done on it and where. Then you could ring the dealer and see if it was serviced there as well.
Bit of detective work required!

seatturbopower

Aug 1, 2012
birmingham
no histroy no sale..........no way at all.my car didnt have many many recipets but service book was up to 80k and cam belt was done also new clutch also:)

dazjstuart

May 18, 2012
Aberdeen
It's a gamble, you may be fine but you may not be. You have to ask yourself why there's no service history. Few reasons, they may have lost the book, not kept receipts or they may just not have serviced it.

When I got mine it had little service history, dealership services up till its first mot but nothing after that. Milage was low but confirmed by mot certificates so I took the gamble. My brother is a mechanic and does all my work so having no record of timing belt wasn't an issue as he just stuck on a new one but if I had to pay for mechanicing work I doubt I would buy one that had no record of a new one. My downside is that I don't get proper bills for work carried out so have to rely on parts receipts which I am pretty bad at keeping! Come to think of it its due a service soon (must keep receipts!).

I'm waffling again but what I'm trying to say is there can be genuine reasons (albeit not very good ones) for not keeping history. It's a difficult one, having service history is no guarantee that's there's nothing wrong with the car and does not mean it will never break down. I would go more on the condition of the car checking for usual. suspects like mayo on the oil cap or oily smelling coolant. Proof of regular oil changes is always piece of mind for these engines though given the potential for oil pick up issues if they get gunked up. My perhaps **** rule of thumb is if a car looks like it's been neglected it probably has been.

It's up to you of course, for what it's worth I would say that's a lot of miles with no service history, i would only get something with lower miles with no history. The most important thing is what you think of it and of course the price, if it's a fair bit cheaper then that can pay for a lot of piece of mind repairs. I

One definate though is make sure the price is less than an equivalent one with service history as service history is definately worth money.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Personally, I'd never buy a car with dealer service history, so if its just the book thats missing, it wouldn;t be an issue.

If it has literally nothing (receipts etc) then I'd be a bit more wary but I'd look at the car and buy on condition and price

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Walk away unless you can fully check the car over yourself and you know enough about them to spot an issue.

No service history means it'll be a pig to sell on too.

Someone will have it, but personally if it was me, I wouldn't go near it.

Last edited: