new mk3 leon Fr 184 concerns

the stripler

Fighter pilot on Rails
Apr 8, 2014
Lanark, Scotland
Hi Guys

Picked up my Leon fr184 today. on drive home I was a little surprised by the noise in cabin.

The road noise is louder than any car I think ive ever driven??? is this normal.

tyres are Pirelli p7cinturato 6mm allround.

Could these possibly be the problem, or is this just how this car is.

Thanks for any advice.

gary

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
Wait until rattles start on and around the dashboard. My 150 has this annoying rattle and haven’t the foggiest what it is and apparently Leon’s are notorious for rattles and loose parts

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
I have a 184 FR Hatch and I don’t find it overly loud on the road tbf. Mines a 15 plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
With stiffer suspension and bigger alloys, differences between tyres are amplified. Noisier than an SE but shouldn't be that bad. I'm guessing tyres.

the stripler

Fighter pilot on Rails
Apr 8, 2014
Lanark, Scotland
Mines has the 17" alloys and 45 series tyres , so was expecting a quiet ride. Im guessing the pirellis are the issue here. Will change them sooner than later, just hope thats it...a lot of money wasted if not..

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
My guess would be that the tyres are the root cause of your problem although the Leon is known to lack insulation compared to the Golf. If you know anyone else who has a Leon, you could try asking for a ride in order to make a comparison.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I can think of another possibility.

Your car has independent rear suspension. There are known issues that can cause the rear suspension to 'cup' the rear tyres. If that happens the tyres can be properly noisy, like a worn wheel bearing.

Run you hand over the inside edge of the rear tyres. If you can feel alternate lumps and dips as you go round the tyre, that's what your problem is. You might be able to see it as well.

the stripler

Fighter pilot on Rails
Apr 8, 2014
Lanark, Scotland
My guess would be that the tyres are the root cause of your problem although the Leon is known to lack insulation compared to the Golf. If you know anyone else who has a Leon, you could try asking for a ride in order to make a comparison.
Whats the best way to add insulation,,, do any of the many advertised sound deadening matts work.

the stripler

Fighter pilot on Rails
Apr 8, 2014
Lanark, Scotland
I can think of another possibility.

Your car has independent rear suspension. There are known issues that can cause the rear suspension to 'cup' the rear tyres. If that happens the tyres can be properly noisy, like a worn wheel bearing.

Run you hand over the inside edge of the rear tyres. If you can feel alternate lumps and dips as you go round the tyre, that's what your problem is. You might be able to see it as well.
If it has, is there any way to dial it out?
I was under the impression that the bigger brakes and better suspension was one of the reasons to go for the 184??

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
If it has, is there any way to dial it out?
I was under the impression that the bigger brakes and better suspension was one of the reasons to go for the 184??

Just swap the rears over, side to side, to even the saw tooth wear and the noise out.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015

That's right but more links means more to go wonky. If you swap the wheels/tyres for known good ones the noise should go away instantly if that's what the issue is. And like I said, you should be able to feel the wear on the tyres.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Hi Guys

Picked up my Leon fr184 today. on drive home I was a little surprised by the noise in cabin.

The road noise is louder than any car I think ive ever driven??? is this normal.

tyres are Pirelli p7cinturato 6mm allround.

Could these possibly be the problem, or is this just how this car is.

Thanks for any advice.

gary

Which car(s) did you have before? My only experiences are Seat Leon Mk3 (63 plate, 16 inch Bridgestone Turranza tyres) Seat Ibiza (66 plate, 17inch Bridgestone Potenza tyres) and Volvo V40 (68 plate 16in Michellin Primacy 4 tyres). Noisiest was Ibiza, quietest Volvo. Of couse if you had a BMW or Merc before, those are much quieter...

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
The leon’s are loud and quite unrefined, the pirelli’s are a good tyre so if they appear to look okay tread wise i would discount them as an issue if they were cheap chinese muck i would be looking at replacing them as cheap tyres are usually noisy

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
I’m running 235/35 R19 Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric tyres and can recommend them for their volume, or lack of it considering the wheel size. My winter set of 17” continental tyres are louder and hardly any more compliant than the 19s.

Good modern tyres make such a massive difference to a car’s road noise and manners. My mum’s Golf GTD was *transformed* when we changed from the factory fit Bridgestones to Michelin PS4 tyres.

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
I’m running 235/35 R19 Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric tyres and can recommend them for their volume, or lack of it considering the wheel size. My winter set of 17” continental tyres are louder and hardly any more compliant than the 19s.

Good modern tyres make such a massive difference to a car’s road noise and manners. My mum’s Golf GTD was *transformed* when we changed from the factory fit Bridgestones to Michelin PS4 tyres.
F1s or PS4s? once I have alloys sorted which tires would you recommend

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
I have the goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 3 tyres. When I get some new ones in a few weeks I’ll get a set of 5s, as they’re newer and even better apparently. They’re generally a bit cheaper than the Michelins but very closely matched so I’m happy to stay with them.

The Michelin PS4 (not PS4S) on the GTD are also great, you can’t go wrong with either.

Reactions: Wilkesy and Mr Pig

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I've got the FR184 ST and don't feel it's that noisy. It originally came from the car supermarket with new cheap fronts and they were louder, harder and not confidence inspiring.

I now have RainSport 3's (last 12 months, 20,000 miles, 4mm left) and they have been fine. Do tend to agree that the Leon might not be as `smooth` as the Golf or A3 but that's why it's cheaper!

Can't help on any other reasons.

the stripler

Fighter pilot on Rails
Apr 8, 2014
Lanark, Scotland
Which car(s) did you have before? My only experiences are Seat Leon Mk3 (63 plate, 16 inch Bridgestone Turranza tyres) Seat Ibiza (66 plate, 17inch Bridgestone Potenza tyres) and Volvo V40 (68 plate 16in Michellin Primacy 4 tyres). Noisiest was Ibiza, quietest Volvo. Of couse if you had a BMW or Merc before, those are much quieter...
I had the seat exeo st previously, great car and then more recently audi a4 avant, which was very quiet, however started getting a few alarm bells with the CVT gearbox so chopped it in back to a SEAT now.

Ive put my spare 17" wheels on from my TT with goodyear tyres on to try and it is a bit smoother, so thats a start.
And ive ordered some sound deadener for under the bonnet to hopefully reduce engine noise in cab.
Has anyone applied any of this stuff to the doors before? Is it worth the time and cost?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise