New Rad

jellybabybandit

May 1, 2007
So been loosing coolant since getting the car a month ago and it turns out to be the radiator. So getting replaced under warranty. Car is just over 3 years old. Thought this was strange for a rad to go after that time

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Mine went at 2 years old - the rad rubs on the support frame and it wears through.

Local stealers mechanic said some cars were missing a rubber strip that stops it happening.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Mine went when it was just a couple of weeks over 3 years old, was a very annoying problem. Got a 55% goodwill contribution so the final bill was £170 or something

jellybabybandit

May 1, 2007
Was done under warranty today. They had the car all day and they even asked me to leave it with them till tomorrow but I said no as I needed it for work. Apparently they had to strip the full front end down to get it out

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
Flipping heck! I'm so glad you bought warranty with your car! When I owned the car there was never any coolant leakage.... Like others have said, the rad does seem to be problematic on this model of car with a lot failing on or just beyond the 3 year mark...

Only mechanical work I needed to do on the car was to get a drop-link replaced on the front anti roll bar.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
whereabouts does it rub on support frame?
Need to check ours ;-(

Not sure exactly but when mine went it was putting water from the bottom of the rad on to the fans and throwing it around the engine bay.

I believe the issue area is the bottom engine bay side of the rad against the support frame.

EDIT - just read my warranty work sheet - it says the radiator fan support had worn through the radiator.

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Anyone got photos so I can get under my car and have a look.

If I have read my warranty sheet correctly - look down the back of the radiator where the cooling fans are.

There is a big shroud around the fans.

This shroud rubs on the bottom of the radiator.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise