New to forums - cupra security

h09

Apr 13, 2017
Hello, all.

I'm new to the forums after several days of lurking since buying a cupra 280, to be picked up in just under two weeks.
It's a 64reg with 20k miles and I can't wait, looking forward to the performance since I'm coming from a 2.0tdi Audi a3.

With the cupra being a rarer car I'm spinning the increased chances of theft around my head and wondered if any of you guys used any deterrents, steering wheel locks etc, and if so what sorts would work with the steering wheel, as with the paddle shift for the DSG and the flat bottom I'm having a hard time visualising where exactly one would fit.

Thank you in advance, looking forward to being part of the Seat gang and of these forums :)

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
As with the s3, the rs4 etc, if someone wants it, they're going straight for the keys which will no doubt include the one for the crooklock on the same keychain.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
As with the s3, the rs4 etc, if someone wants it, they're going straight for the keys which will no doubt include the one for the crooklock on the same keychain.
+1. Most cars of this type are stolen by scrotes obtaining the keys by one way or another, which will probably include the keys to any extra security features. Yes, you could keep them separate, but anyone that's willing to commit acts of burglary or even violence to get the keys will probably not hesitate to come back and give you a slap for the second set. Just get the car insured, it's only metal and can be replaced.
Welcome.ro the club!

chris2209

Apr 19, 2016
I was a bit worried about this living in Hounslow but it's been fine so far. I actually like that fact that the Cupra is so subtle on the outside and you can hardly tell it's a performance model when it's parked in a line of cars

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

ActionScript

Mar 10, 2016
Just what others have said, if someone wants to steal the car, they'll steal it.

Follow what kazand has said, just get good insurance in the event of theft.

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
I live in a cheaper part of Brum and I worry a little bit, but like others say the car is pretty discreet.

The neighbour has a Fiat 500 and they have a steering lock which worries me, but they are probably paranoid.

Love-Cupra

Jul 29, 2016
Netherlands
Hello, all.

I'm new to the forums after several days of lurking since buying a cupra 280, to be picked up in just under two weeks.
It's a 64reg with 20k miles and I can't wait, looking forward to the performance since I'm coming from a 2.0tdi Audi a3.

With the cupra being a rarer car I'm spinning the increased chances of theft around my head and wondered if any of you guys used any deterrents, steering wheel locks etc, and if so what sorts would work with the steering wheel, as with the paddle shift for the DSG and the flat bottom I'm having a hard time visualising where exactly one would fit.

Thank you in advance, looking forward to being part of the Seat gang and of these forums :)

As stated before the Seat Cupra is not so known by general Public.

Hence the parts are also not so easily sold as VW or Audi, my as VW had 2 or (same ?) burgler(s) which took dash/airbags - in under 2 years of time.

If a pro wants it, seems hard to stop that. Meantime as long as not same popularity
as the VW-cars we should be ok.

So good luck and enjoy, but install a good alarm in Yr car !

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I live in a cheaper part of Brum and I worry a little bit, but like others say the car is pretty discreet.

The neighbour has a Fiat 500 and they have a steering lock which worries me, but they are probably paranoid.

There is a cheaper part? :p

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Keys aren't the only way your car can be stolen. The right sort of thief will gain access to your car via a window and boot it up with the OBD port, takes 10 seconds alarm is shut off car can be started and driven away. It's more of a popular way as less criminal charges are brought against them, as they don't need to gain access to your property or you your self.

Best way is a SPS switch cost around £100 sets the car in to anti theft mode can't be overridden by another OBD plug in, with the keys the engine will turn the ignition and start the car but the moment throttle is applied it kills the engine. Your planning on doing work to your car I.E alloys exhaust for a £100 it's a wise investment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
1e153abbe11d25c666c1a7ee7e214f50.jpg

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
https://youtu.be/4bAh8LrsoAs

Focus RS mk2 OBD port flash (starts the car alarms disabled)

From breaking the window to driving away down the road 25 seconds

This can happen to all of VAGs

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
https://youtu.be/4bAh8LrsoAs

Focus RS mk2 OBD port flash (starts the car alarms disabled)

From breaking the window to driving away down the road 25 seconds

This can happen to all of VAGs

Wow, can't believe it was that simple. Where I regularly park theres a MK3 Cupra, BMW M4, GT86, couple of nice Mercs. So I figure noone would care about my Mk2. I noticed the Cupra and the M4 have a steering lock on it and did wonder why in this day n age with electronic imobilisers.

But, I figure same as already stated, if they want it badly enough they'll have it. Neighbour had a VW Golf 4Motion. Got punched in the face and 3 guys took the keys out of her hands.

I just go with as stated by most tv programmes. Make it as unattractive as possible. I have a visible cctv camera pointed right at it and as of last weekend its secured behind locked gates (larger fence to follow). Of course all of its beatable. But if it slows em down or puts em off. Bonus.

Having said that... I did get a guy approach me in the petrol station (pulled in after me) and ask if my car was a K1. Obviously I said no... but wonder what would have happened if I'd said yes. As soon as I said no, he just turned and got into his car and drove off (without actually getting any petrol).

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Trackers tend to be the first thing they look for a powerful magnet placed on a tracker ****s them up completely, most are fitted under the steering wheel and are easily accessible if have it aswell but not as my main line defence.

If a thief starts a car and goes to drive it and it kills its self, he's gonna panick very quickly and after the second time he's gonna run.

b8er1234

Aug 29, 2012
Kent
Keys aren't the only way your car can be stolen. The right sort of thief will gain access to your car via a window and boot it up with the OBD port, takes 10 seconds alarm is shut off car can be started and driven away. It's more of a popular way as less criminal charges are brought against them, as they don't need to gain access to your property or you your self.

Best way is a SPS switch cost around £100 sets the car in to anti theft mode can't be overridden by another OBD plug in, with the keys the engine will turn the ignition and start the car but the moment throttle is applied it kills the engine. Your planning on doing work to your car I.E alloys exhaust for a £100 it's a wise investment

Kane how do they work exactly? Plug it in and thats it? Be very interested in getting one of these just to be safe and use it on future cars etc.

As others have mentioned i do like how subtle the cupras are however the car theives i would assume know about this vehicle as much as we do hence they target sports cars in the first place etc

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
It works like this.

I had a map put on my cars ecu for performance enhancement, it was one of 6-8 varieties from that company. They are as followed for each model of the car 280,290,300

Revo DSG low boost
Revo DSG low torque
Revo DSG normal boost normal torque
Revo manual low boost
Revo manual low torque
Revo normal boost normal torque

one of those maps is set to and configured to a SPS switch and will only work on your car (the picture of the device I posted above)

So unless somebody has bought a Leon Cupra 280 and also had the same company map I.E Revo and the exact same variation of that map for model (280,290,300) and the same performance setting (so 1 out of the 8 different performance setting) they won't be able to shift out of the anti theft mode.

So if somebody stole your keys and tried starting the engine it will cut out each time the throttle is touched. It won't be able to be started via the OBD port with out the program used to install the map which is only at the dealers in my case Revo. They are particularly very prestigious and there software is pretty darn impossible to pirate, I.e your software is made with you vin number of your car and held on a server and only a Revo dealer with a Revo program on there computer is able to access it. And a dealer has to directly apply for credits to use the software each time so in no way shape or form can it be copied at any point.

So when you factor that in, unless somebody had the exact same car exact same map, exact same settings applied to that map, they can't get it out if anti theft mode

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
It works like this.

I had a map put on my cars ecu for performance enhancement, it was one of 6-8 varieties from that company. They are as followed for each model of the car 280,290,300

Revo DSG low boost
Revo DSG low torque
Revo DSG normal boost normal torque
Revo manual low boost
Revo manual low torque
Revo normal boost normal torque

one of those maps is set to and configured to a SPS switch and will only work on your car (the picture of the device I posted above)

So unless somebody has bought a Leon Cupra 280 and also had the same company map I.E Revo and the exact same variation of that map for model (280,290,300) and the same performance setting (so 1 out of the 8 different performance setting) they won't be able to shift out of the anti theft mode.

So if somebody stole your keys and tried starting the engine it will cut out each time the throttle is touched. It won't be able to be started via the OBD port with out the program used to install the map which is only at the dealers in my case Revo. They are particularly very prestigious and there software is pretty darn impossible to pirate, I.e your software is made with you vin number of your car and held on a server and only a Revo dealer with a Revo program on there computer is able to access it. And a dealer has to directly apply for credits to use the software each time so in no way shape or form can it be copied at any point.

So when you factor that in, unless somebody had the exact same car exact same map, exact same settings applied to that map, they can't get it out if anti theft mode

So I have to have a remap for it then?

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
You may be able to get your car plugged into a Revo dealer and them set a SPS switch to your Seat stock map. One if the high end companies must offer this.