New Toledo owner

pocket

Sep 11, 2007
Glasgow
yay! :D

Had it for 3 days and twice now its not started. Booooo. :cry:

its a 2001 2.3 V5 170bhp with about 62k on the clock.

It started instantly when i test drove it, and the 5 or 6 times i'd driven it over Saturday when i picked it up.

Yesterday i tried to start it and nothing. just turning over. I had to go out so got into the other car. My pal said he'd meet us back a the house and the car started first time for him. Que lots of pointing and laughing by him. Started it another 2 times later on in the day and it was fine.

Then this morning it won't start again. First attempt, the engine turned over then it sounded like something sort of chugged away for about 3 seconds trying to start after i let go of the key. Not the full engine roar but something else. This spluttered out then every try again was just the car turning over. The battery and engine light both come on during this. The internal electrics all still work.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Are there many common start up faults with this car/engine?

Got it booked into a garage for a service/check up tomorrow anyway. Hopefully it starts tonight and i'll leave the car outside the garage and drop the keys off in the morning. Otherwise i'll get my pal to tow it out there tonight while the roads are quiet.

pocket

Sep 11, 2007
Glasgow
Does it help if you give it a bit of gas as you start it? How does it run once it's started?

my brother in law got it started by doing this.

I drove it to the garage tonight and it felt rough. Reading the manual i've only just realised you're meant to but 98 in it. DOH!

Got the car on saturday and the fuel gage was at the redline. Put £20 of 95 in as it was an expensive petrol station. It ran fine before the fist non-start. The next day i put £25 of 95 in. Felt ok on the way home but quiet rough on the drive tonight.

Although i have a strong feeling the starting problem isn't to do with the fuel. Although it's probably not helped.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
the roughness is likely to be a coilpack or MAF. My poor starting was caused by a split pipe, it was allowing unmetered air into the engine and leaning out the mixture. Check all the pipes entering the airflow between the meter and the engine, there is one particular corrugated one that is a common failure on V5 engines.

pocket

Sep 11, 2007
Glasgow
i don't know if this is related of not, after driving and switching the ignition off there is a buzzing sound coming from something in the engine bay. It lasts about 5 to 10min which seems an awful long time.
My megane has a similar (but much quieter) sound with a small ECU fan, but it only runs for 30seconds or so.

Standing in front of the car and looking in the engine bay, I THINK its coming from a sort of barrel shaped object to the right hand rear corner of the engine.

As you may have guessed, i know feck all about cars. But i'm going to have to learn quickly.

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
i don't know if this is related of not, after driving and switching the ignition off there is a buzzing sound coming from something in the engine bay. It lasts about 5 to 10min which seems an awful long time.
My megane has a similar (but much quieter) sound with a small ECU fan, but it only runs for 30seconds or so.

Standing in front of the car and looking in the engine bay, I THINK its coming from a sort of barrel shaped object to the right hand rear corner of the engine.

As you may have guessed, i know feck all about cars. But i'm going to have to learn quickly.

That sounds like the auxillary waterpump doing its job, its located above the gearbox bellhousing on the side of the engine.

Matt-V5-Duffy

Parts, parts, parts...
Oct 6, 2010
Nottinghamshire
The buzzing noise is the auxillary water pump whirring away, so nothing to worry about :)
As Slimy said, check the crank case breather pipe (corrugated black pipe that runs from the head to the air intake) for splits. Mine split completely and you could smell engine oil in the cabin after a short run - I think they cost around £45 from your local VAG dealer :)

pocket

Sep 11, 2007
Glasgow
Just spoke to the garage, they've cleaned out the throttle body and say it seems to run ok. They haven't been able to take it out as it needed a new flexi hose for a break calliper and they got sent the wrong one. So can't pick it up till tomorrow.

so seems to be the same fix as in slimy's thread V5 poor starting possible fix (Not got enough post to do links yet).

pocket

Sep 11, 2007
Glasgow
hopefully i'll get the car back tonight. i feel like i've hardly been in it due to having a busy weekend then it being in the garage.

So anyone got any recommendations on how to use up just under half a tank of 95 fuel?

Am i best to run the car gently and use up most of this up before refuelling or top it up with 98 and use that tank up?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Personally I'd just burn it through, if you dilute it with 98 you'll be running on 96.5 for a full tank. OK, it's not that simple but you get the idea.

Keep your right foot heavy so you get rid of it as soon as possible, also get it as low as possible before filling it up with 98. A few miles on 98 will then clear the dregs of the 'common' fuel.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
The engine will retard the ignition anyway so you'll be down on power. It's not going to affect the throttle body again which was your initial problem, but it just won't give you the full 170bhp.

See how you get on when you get it back, you might be so glad to be able to start it first time that 'taking it easy' will be the last thing on your mind!

pocket

Sep 11, 2007
Glasgow
got the car back last night.

The wife had to get the key and drive it out of the garage as i couldn't be there in time. Said when she started it to move from the garage compound it started first time. Then she stopped and got out and decided to move it. Said it turned over 3 or 4 times before starting.

When I picked it up 3 hours-ish later it did the same, not starting up instantly and turning over 3 times. Drove carefully for 7miles on a duel carriage way about 50-60mph and car still felt a bit chuggy.

This morning I had my foot over the accelerator and pressed it to start as it didn’t sound it was going to start. Need to perfect my technique of when to let go of the key. Because of all the right hand turns into fast traffic I had no choice but to drive harsher this morning. The car being warmer seemed to help as it felt less chuggy. Dropped the kid off and the car started straight away for the rest of my journey.

So maybe a replacement MAF would help. I notice europarts do a reconditioned Bosch one. £116 with a £36 refund when you and back your old one. Are these reconditioned ones the norm and ok?

No point in doing that until I’ve got rid of all the 95 fuel and see how it is then. Still got over a 1/3rd of a tank left. Never before have I ever been starting at the fuel gage, wishing it to go down.

The garage i used is an independant VAG place. All the VAG equipement and parts but a lot cheaper on labour.

My receipt says:

Major service,
Clean and adjust throttle body,
5 spark plugs
air filter
oil filter
oil.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
So maybe a replacement MAF would help. I notice europarts do a reconditioned Bosch one. £116 with a £36 refund when you and back your old one. Are these reconditioned ones the norm and ok?

90% of a MAF is the plastic casing, the only important bit is the sensor which is the bit they replace. £80 is too much though, go to GSF I'm sure it's closer to £60. It'll still be a bit more with a refund for the old one. I actually took a monkey wrench and philips screwdriver with me and changed it on their car park!

pocket

Sep 11, 2007
Glasgow
Though i'd add a wee update on my car.

It's now running fine on tesco's Momentum 99 and starting without the need for any gas. It doesn't start instantly, maybe the 3rd or 4th turn of the starter motor, but it doesn't need pressing the accelerator.

Now all i need to do is the resistor fix for the radiator fans, reseal the front doors, get the seized rear brake calliper fixed and i'll have a fully armed and operational battle station, erm i mean car. Just need this bloody rain to stop so i can get at the car.

I so wish i had this car when new. Its 10 years old so has a few creaks and weird noises but its surprisingly great to drive for a rather dated looking saloon. Not much body roll round corners and the pull from the engine is great.

Last edited:

Sjx

I picked up my v5 about a week before you it appears, same opinions, love the engine, the kit and it looks good. Mines got a bit too much body roll so new dampers will be the order of the day after some basic TLC.

Had to drive one of the company Corsa's yesterday (EcoFlex 1.2 CDTI) and gave me a whole new appreciation for the power in the v5. Did a full tank-to-tank brim of fuel as well over the last week and a half which came out at 26mpg, which considering that's minimal motorway miles I'm happy, my old Focus did 36mpg at the best of times.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.