New Tyres Advice

Patrick Ballard

May 10, 2018
Just looking for a little bit of advice if anyone could point me in the right direction. I've been on asda tyres to look for a set of new tyres all around for my car. I'm not exactly the biggest expert on my tyres, so I've entered in my registration (a 64 plate leon cupra) and have been presented with the following recommendations: https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/225-40-18?speed=w&load_index=92

I was thinking of going mid range but I'm not sure. Do you guys think I should splash out on some premium tyres because of the car I drive? Or, would there be anywhere else better I could purchase my tyres from? Thanks in advance.

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
Just looking for a little bit of advice if anyone could point me in the right direction. I've been on asda tyres to look for a set of new tyres all around for my car. I'm not exactly the biggest expert on my tyres, so I've entered in my registration (a 64 plate leon cupra) and have been presented with the following recommendations: https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/225-40-18?speed=w&load_index=92

I was thinking of going mid range but I'm not sure. Do you guys think I should splash out on some premium tyres because of the car I drive? Or, would there be anywhere else better I could purchase my tyres from? Thanks in advance.

I won’t rehash the extensive threads that have been had about this topic, go premium and get some Michelin PS4, cheap tyres ruin a Cupra. Unless of course you have removed your turbo :) try black circles, mytyres, camskills etc and have a hunt for the best deal... one more point of note, I’ve found mytyres to be getting a tad shoddy with delivery times more recently, so maybe bear that in mind.

Patrick Ballard

May 10, 2018
I won’t rehash the extensive threads that have been had about this topic, go premium and get some Michelin PS4, cheap tyres ruin a Cupra. Unless of course you have removed your turbo :) try black circles, mytyres, camskills etc and have a hunt for the best deal... one more point of note, I’ve found mytyres to be getting a tad shoddy with delivery times more recently, so maybe bear that in mind.

Thanks, I did think that budget tyres wouldn't go very far on a Cupra. In that case I'll look into getting some PS4s. And are you mad? I'd never remove my turbo !! Hahah, also thanks for the further recommendations. I've seen black circles advertised in a few magazines but I've not heard of camskills before, but from searching it now it looks great.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
would it be worth buying these for a 2008 1.4 ibiza or is that overkill?

Little bit overkill, Avon, Hankook or Uniroyal make some really good tyres at a slightly cheaper price.
Check out http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ to look how other people rate any tyre you're thinking of buying.

Thanks, I did think that budget tyres wouldn't go very far on a Cupra. In that case I'll look into getting some PS4s. And are you mad? I'd never remove my turbo !! Hahah, also thanks for the further recommendations. I've seen black circles advertised in a few magazines but I've not heard of camskills before, but from searching it now it looks great.

BlackCircles is alot like ASDA tyres (I think) you pay for it all online and then take your car to a selected garage for fitting.
Camskill you usually mail order the tyres then find a garage to fit them for you.

Personally I prefer BlackCircles, the prices are good and there's an excellent tyre place near me that fits for em.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Michelins all the way on a performance car or any decent premium tyre. I know of one chap that fitted a cheap Chinese tyre to his 370Z because he was selling it and didn’t want to go to the expense of a decent tyre that someone else would benefit from. Two days later, he came back to the tyre fitters trying to hold them responsible for his car having a blowout and bouncing off the central reservation of the M6. They’d told him not to fit it but he ignored their advice. Cheap tyres at your peril!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
ive seen comments on here where people are complaining about the bridgestones that came with their car. these tyres seem to have good fuel economy and wet weather ratings on both quickfit and black circles. bit expensive but i plan on owning the car for a few years so not really fussed about coughing up the dough. should i avoid these or are they different to the ones on your shiny cupras?

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/search/details/bridgestone/turanza-t005/t1019053

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW

[
those contintentals have quite good reviews. i think ill read around more as im not familiar with tyres/most things car related :/

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
Had Continentals on my Golf. They were good but the Pilot Sport 4S tyres are even better.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
my ibiza is 10 years old so a little bit more overkill than the continentals! £150/tyre is brutal! they must be really good at that price

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
My Cupra came with Bridgestones and if you warmed them up first they were fine, I now have Mich Pilot Super Sports a lot better but not cheap. The PS4S have now replaced them and will be my next tyre when the PSS are done, 10000 miles done on them and the fronts still have life in them yet.

Reactions: kanyewest

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
will consider these tyres then. what do you guys do with old ones? keep them, sell them, throw them away?

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Good to know and a resounding yes, but I would have Michelin PS4's on something with a bit of poke. I have these on the Leon and they suit it well. Just waiting for the wear rate.

The Skoda is mapped to just over 200bhp and a good tyre is recommended there. Currently they are Conti SC5's. Not a bad tyre but as pointed out already, off the pace of the Michelin's. My previous experience of Conti's are the poor wear rate.

Even the old dog of an Avensis has some decent budget boots. Goodyear efficient grips are more than adequate and were inexpensive.

The summers are currently off and the winters are on now.

Always have the spare cash for very good tyres at least, they are the only bit between you and the road and can't recommend spending in this area enough.

Reactions: kanyewest and xyz

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Decent tyres pay off whatever car you're driving.

You might only be doing 30mph through town, but if some ******** pulls out in front of you then you still need to stop in a hurry.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.