newbie with a question about dpf and mapping

Andy25customs

May 28, 2014
hey bit about me, im andy 23 from donny. my cars a leon cr fr170 hat it about a week now i love it!

right my question i took the car somewhere to see about haveing the dpf removed as ive heard these cause no end of problems, the guy told me the car also has to be mapped when the dpf is removed? he also claims the dpf removed and a map with a full exaust will see about 230bhp? does this all sound right as ive seen alot on here about stage 1 maps and they all say about 210 to stay safe... any info would be helpfull cheers

DesertRat

Aug 30, 2014
www.facebook.com
Don't do anything until it shows signs of failure as it will cost a lot of money! Delete and remap will set you back about £500

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Hold on let me get my tape recording......

DPF removal is not legal. If you do get found out, it's either 1500-2000 to get a new DPF or you get done for insurance fraud if you claim.
OR you can be lucky and sail through mot and never crash and you'll enjoy an extra 15 hp (which you won't notice)

Its not worth it on the CR170. Just remap. Get rid of the DPF or the car if it plays up. Leave it until then.

Get a nice map or DTUK tuning box and enjoy 200-210hp and a much nicer map.

DesertRat

Aug 30, 2014
www.facebook.com
Hold on let me get my tape recording......

DPF removal is not legal. If you do get found out, it's either 1500-2000 to get a new DPF or you get done for insurance fraud if you claim.
OR you can be lucky and sail through mot and never crash and you'll enjoy an extra 15 hp (which you won't notice)

Its not worth it on the CR170. Just remap. Get rid of the DPF or the car if it plays up. Leave it until then.

Get a nice map or DTUK tuning box and enjoy 200-210hp and a much nicer map.

Not quite true, it is not illegal to remove a Diesel Particulate Filter. This would indicate that it is enforceable and policed and this is not the case. You are referring to the fact that removal of a DPF in a DPF equipped vehicle may result in your vehicle failing an MOT test.

When the vehicle is presented to the MOT tester for the annual test the tester will be aware if the vehicle was equipped with a DPF at the factory and they will be looking for its presence in the exhaust system. If it's not there it may fail the test.

However most DPF Removals mean taking out the DPF and emptying the contents of the DPF and replacing the unit all be it empty. So physically the DPF looks no different. However you need to be aware that if the DPF is physically removed and the mot tester looks for it and it's not there then you will be forced to replace the DPF at a huge cost.

However done correctly and remapped correctly the CR 170 can achieve 190-210 Bhp and offers excellent fuel economy and although not recommended unless absolutely necessary and at the point where the old unit has failed.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Didn't even finish reading your post. You can twist it however you want.
If your car would/should not pass MOT, it is not road-legal. If it is not road-legal, your insurance is null and void. If your insurance is void, you are driving around uninsured.... Which is illegal.

Tricking an MOT station by gutting the DPF doesn't make it legal. It means you're purposely deceiving the law. The law states that if your diesel came with a DPF, it should have one. The fact that the test is (for now) visual, is not relevant to the legality.

Again, no matter how you spin it... You're tempting fate. You might be absolutely fine. You might not. That's all there is to it. It's your personal choice to risk it.

Last edited:

DesertRat

Aug 30, 2014
www.facebook.com
Find me the piece of legislation including the Act and year (you won't find it, trust me).

As for the garbage about your insurance being invalid, what on earth! If you took the time to read the post other than have the one misguided opinion then perhaps you can be educated, I assure you I know this subject very very well.

The only possible piece of legislation it could come anywhere near is the Construction and Use Act but as this act was written and passed in 1986. We'll before the conception of the DPF.

The key is the Legality! Find me the offence including what offence I can be charged with?

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Don't care. Lost interest. De-dpf away. Will never mention it again. The legislation is there, I've read it. I'm sure you can Google.
Enjoy! I'm off to enjoy petrol land :)

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Sorry, decided to be nice so here's the quote: " It is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3))1 to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet. Removal of a DPF will almost invariably contravene these requirements, making the vehicle illegal for road use."

Last edited:

CharlySkunkweed

Aug 10, 2014
Northern Ireland
But does that not mean if it passes the emissions test for MOT then it ,"complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet" ? It may not be the same numbers , but as long as it's below the limit how could it be considered "illegal" ? I get you on the bit where if the tester catches on that it's removed and they fail MOT due to a fitted part being removed , but that's just a chance you take. (On a side note , you could easily play dumb. How would you know when you bought a car that the innards of the DPF were there)

DPF removal is the new de-cat.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
By removing the DPF these diesels are never eu5 compliant. Especially not remapped. You will not pass an emissions test.... There's the catch... There currently isn't a diesel emissions test! That's why it's a visual inspection only. But I stress.. For now!
On your last point; ignorance does not hold up in court. But, it may get you leniency. If you're going down that route, be sure you don't publish your De-dpf online :) hehe

So as you rightfully said; it's the chance you take for releasing a few more HP. I fully agree the DPF is annoying. I De-dpf'd mine (before the law came in).

The moral of the story is; if you're new to this game, just be aware of all of the facts, the risks, and the consequences before gutting your DPF. If you decide to go for it, all the best.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.