No Start "Push clutch to start" issue

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Hi,
I had my first breakdown in 7 years of ownership the other day. The car is refusing to start when the clutch is pressed - it just says press the clutch on the info display even though the clutch is pressed. The AA chap got it going by pressing the clutch multiple times and turning the key and it started eventually.

I knew there was a clutch switch down there so bought a new one and fitted it.

However my problem is still the same but I have found if I press the clutch and the brake pedal it fools it into starting up. I'd like to get to the bottom of this and have read the following fault codes P172300 & P172400 both referencing starter lock.

I'm starting to think the problem is the starter motor related but wanted to dip in here for thoughts first?

Fault Codes

andycupra

status subject to change
often cars need you to press the clutch, OR brake pedal, so try starting with just the brake pedal, this will confirm if using the brake pedal in addition is fooling it or its simply using the brake pedal switch.

i doubt it is starter motor related, starter lock is likely a fault showing that starting it locked as the prerequisites are not met. eg clutch or brake pedal depressed.

if it was the clutch pedal sensor, then many people have not fitted the new one correctly. i cant remember the exact issue, something about plunger being in when twisting, many people have fitted it incorrectly and damaged the new sensor. (im not saying you have done this, but its fairly common)

P172300 Signal for starter lock Open circuit
P172400 Signal for starter lock Short-circuit to ground

Last edited:
Reactions: decadent

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Cheers. You might be right on the fitting of the switch I just pushed it in and turned 45 degrees to lock it. I've read now the pedal needs to be pressed and slowly lifted up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I thought that it was only the earlier brake light switch on in this case Ibiza that needed a special procedure that changed with time as the switch was evolved and now finally replaced by a hall effect switch in the master cylinder.

So, has this Exeo not got a switch built into either the master or slave cylinder in the clutch hydraulics, I know that my 2011 B8 S4 has a clutch hydraulics located switch for inhibiting the starter - Exeo is based on B7 A4 is it not.

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
The clutch switch for the exeo is next to the brake switch. They are operated off of an arm on the pedals.

I'm not aware of any on the hydraulics but there might well be - where abouts is it on your S4?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Either in the slave cylinder or the master cylinder - I have a feeling it is in the master cylinder - which makes more sense, it can be coded out in that S4, there are a few sequential switches so just "shorting" one out electrically is not an option, but coding change is. Just a future worry for me, after 7 years of ownership, so far so good!

Sorry, one is on the hydraulics, the others on the pedal.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.