Noise from suspension going over bumps

HSimo7

Oct 1, 2018
Hi, I own a 2015 Ibiza and was just wondering that whenever I go over large speed bumps I get a creaking/ squeaking noise from my suspension. Has anyone ever encountered this and what is the fix? It started around October/November time when it started getting cold and only does it on large speed bumps when all wheels go over it. Thank you for any help
Harry

Reactions: bradldn
Jan 29, 2020
Front anti-roll bar bushes. They are rubbish quality. Had mine replaced under warranty (2015 Ibiza FR) a year ago and they have started to make the same noise again. Either replace with polyurethane ones or I understand Cupra ones are better quality (would have to check size however). Mark

HSimo7

Oct 1, 2018
Front anti-roll bar bushes. They are rubbish quality. Had mine replaced under warranty (2015 Ibiza FR) a year ago and they have started to make the same noise again. Either replace with polyurethane ones or I understand Cupra ones are better quality (would have to check size however). Mark
Cheers mate. I’m the same 2015 FR and they are driving me insane haha. Thanks for the help pal. Harry

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
So glad I decided to read this thread. My 2016 Ibiza 1.0 litre ST started doing this in a quieter more "refined" sort of way about a couple of months ago. It's nothing like so loud but I don't "attack" bumps quite so aggressively and my car only has just under 20,000 miles on it. The noise definitely has a "creaky rubbery" quality to it though and this would explain it. When the weather picks up again I'll explore the Poly Bush option. Thanks so very much for the "heads up" on this MCFR

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
You do get more of these noises in cold weather I have found, my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS does make some quiet sort of suspension noises initially that tend to go away (maybe) as the journey goes on. After using her 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16V 75PS often while she owned, I'm taking a rather laid back approach to these quieter noises - well until they get louder!

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
You do get more of these noises in cold weather I have found, my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS does make some quiet sort of suspension noises initially that tend to go away (maybe) as the journey goes on. After using her 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16V 75PS often while she owned, I'm taking a rather laid back approach to these quieter noises - well until they get louder!
Hmm, yes, mine has only started doing it since the really cold weather came. It's a sort of rubbery "fretting" noise. My first guess, which I haven't explored yet, is that it's the top mounts "squirming" against their seatings.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I seem to remember that the top mounting rubbers come new with a slight coating that should encourage them to get settled into the best position at initial assembly so that end of the suspension should not cause these noises, though maybe, just maybe, something made me apply a touch of red rubber grease to them when I replaced the front suspension on my older daughter's late 2009 Ibiza, I'd think that it will be just the ARB mounting rubbers and a touch of engine or more like gearbox rubbers causing that - hopefully, as these are easier to prove/disprove and fix than the top mounting rubbers.

Maybe try spraying something that does not attack these rubber components on them, maybe silicon spray.

Also road salt will be getting thrown up and maybe any salty deposits left are getting into round about the ARB passing through the ARB mounting rubbers areas - ie might vanish in Spring time.

Edit:- tip to test if its any of the engine-gearbox mountings - open the bonnet and grab the engine and seriously firmly try rocking it fore-aft and see if you hear the same type of noises.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
I seem to remember that the top mounting rubbers come new with a slight coating that should encourage them to get settled into the best position at initial assembly so that end of the suspension should not cause these noises, though maybe, just maybe, something made me apply a touch of red rubber grease to them when I replaced the front suspension on my older daughter's late 2009 Ibiza, I'd think that it will be just the ARB mounting rubbers and a touch of engine or more like gearbox rubbers causing that - hopefully, as these are easier to prove/disprove and fix than the top mounting rubbers.

Maybe try spraying something that does not attack these rubber components on them, maybe silicon spray.

Also road salt will be getting thrown up and maybe any salty deposits left are getting into round about the ARB passing through the ARB mounting rubbers areas - ie might vanish in Spring time.

Edit:- tip to test if its any of the engine-gearbox mountings - open the bonnet and grab the engine and seriously firmly try rocking it fore-aft and see if you hear the same type of noises.
Aha! raining cats and dogs (where does that silly saying come from?) yesterday when I drove across town to my boy's house. No noises! could well be water on the a/roll bar bushes, or whatever, lubricating them enough to shut them up?

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
I had this problem with my Mk5. I lubricated the anti role bar bushes with Fuchs red renolit rubber grease and the creaking over bumps goes away for a while

vw.man

Apr 17, 2020
I have the same problem on my Toledo. It's weather / temperature dependent - I can go through summer with no noise at all, but as soon as the temperature drops below 15°, the creaking starts. Weirdly, if the temperature gets close to zero, the creaking stops again. It also stops in rain.

I took my arb bushes out and coated them liberally in red rubber grease, but this made no difference. Still convinced it had to be arb-related, last week I disconnected the drop links and drove the car (don't do this at home folks) - the noise was gone.

I've bought some Powerflex bushes and I'll be fitting them this weekend. £42.60 delivered. Fingers crossed.

vw.man

Apr 17, 2020
Just to follow up my post above, I fitted the Powerflex ARB bushes today. Hurray, the noise has gone! I can finally take speed bumps above walking speed...

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Mine does this I think its the dampers top mount.
At least it stopped after I replaced the dampers with that part included.
Now 6 years later its back, mainly when it rains, but I will just keep it like that

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.