Noise when decelerating

Andrew Rae

Mar 5, 2020
Hi all,

I hope someone can help me out with this, I took it to Seat and sent them a video, only for them to not view the video and tell me nothing is wrong. All they did was plugged it in and then took it for a mile long road test.

in short, I have a noise that seems to occur in every gear whilst letting off the accelerator, only between 3000-2000rpm

it’s a 2020 Leon Cupra with around 2000 miles on the clock

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Doesn’t sound good on such a new car. Take it back and make them listen to it. If they don’t play ball, take it further.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Ask them to send a technician out in the car with you, if you hear the noise so should the tech.

Reactions: xyz

Andrew Rae

Mar 5, 2020
Ask them to send a technician out in the car with you, if you hear the noise so should the tech.
They sent a tech out who couldn’t hear anything. At the time I brought it to them it was intermittent, now it’s fairly consistent

Oct 20, 2019
Hull
I have a similar noise on deceleration almost like the exhaust vibrations are resonating through panels/body/b-Pilar on the right side of the car... it’s quite annoying and will be taking to seat ASAP

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
It doesn't sound right but it doesn't sound like its the engine, it sounds like a vibration.

Does this happen in any mode?

Try it in comfort so the soundaktor isn't activated, maybe its that?

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
They sent a tech out who couldn’t hear anything. At the time I brought it to them it was intermittent, now it’s fairly consistent
Take it back to them, there’s no way they won’t notice that. Seat are a pain to deal with in my opinion, you really need to hassle them to get them to do anything. Sounds like a vibration, like something is loose. Hopefully it’s a quick fix

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
Sounds like a rattling heat shield or similar. Have you got a local garage who could just bob it up on a lift and have a look? I've never dealt with Seat service but they sound pretty useless.

Andrew Rae

Mar 5, 2020
It doesn't sound right but it doesn't sound like its the engine, it sounds like a vibration.

Does this happen in any mode?

Try it in comfort so the soundaktor isn't activated, maybe its that?
Yeah it happens in every mode annoyingly, more so in Cupra but it’s still there in comfort too

QTom

Sep 22, 2017
Yeah sounds like it could simply be something rattling to me, the fact it's only at a certain rpm would support that (a certain frequency that resonates with something).

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Interior of cat rattling?

Said it only happens in Cupra mode.

The only difference in Cupra mode is harder suspension, changes diff setting, electronically changes the throttle response and activates the soundaktor.

None of that would cause a noise like that apart from the soundaktor rattling under the windscreen. But he said its unplugged. :think:

OP try setting a custom mode and set it all Cupra apart from the engine, leave it in comfort and see if anything happens.

Andrew Rae

Mar 5, 2020
Said it only happens in Cupra mode.

The only difference in Cupra mode is harder suspension, changes diff setting, electronically changes the throttle response and activates the soundaktor.

None of that would cause a noise like that apart from the soundaktor rattling under the windscreen. But he said its unplugged. :think:

OP try setting a custom mode and set it all Cupra apart from the engine, leave it in comfort and see if anything happens.
It wasn’t me that said it was only in Cupra mode, my soundakator is still plugged in.
My noise happens in all modes so I don’t see it being soundakator related

70 Plate- Cupra 290

Sep 10, 2020
HAHA this is normal!! After lots of headaches i have found out this is normal.. It drove me crazy at first but to be honest i dont hear it as much anymore..

Here is that first post of mine when i got the car which i posted about this same exact noise:

Feels like after lots of cupra mode i dont hear it as much anymore, ill try seeing if it does it again in 30 minutes when i got out to pick my wife up. but definitely dont worry about it. I took it to both Seat in Blackburn and in Preston and they both said its completely fine and its there to keep something to do turbo and emissions in place..

I have driven the car in Cupra with my foot down quiet abit after my 1k miles so I havent at all noticed this sound. I would probably say in Cupra put your foot down more in Auto and the noise will disappear like mine sometime later. Im on 1.5k miles now.

I feel even more happier seeing this post now knowing this is 100 percent normal now since you are experiencing what i did too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tonezz

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
HAHA this is normal!! After lots of headaches i have found out this is normal.. It drove me crazy at first but to be honest i dont hear it as much anymore..

Here is that first post of mine when i got the car which i posted about this same exact noise:

Feels like after lots of cupra mode i dont hear it as much anymore, ill try seeing if it does it again in 30 minutes when i got out to pick my wife up. but definitely dont worry about it. I took it to both Seat in Blackburn and in Preston and they both said its completely fine and its there to keep something to do turbo and emissions in place..

I have driven the car in Cupra with my foot down quiet abit after my 1k miles so I havent at all noticed this sound. I would probably say in Cupra put your foot down more in Auto and the noise will disappear like mine sometime later. Im on 1.5k miles now.

I feel even more happier seeing this post now knowing this is 100 percent normal now since you are experiencing what i did too.

I guess this is just on the newer cars then, I don't get that on the 280.

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
I wonder if it's the alternator charging on over-run? I know this happens on some newer cars to save the alternator 'wasting' fuel and creating emmisions. Latest emmisions regs are so tight that every little helps!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members