Number 2 Brake Pressure Sensor failure

Mar 11, 2019
Hello Guys - I have a MK1 LCR 225: I am in need of a little advice

I have currently got the standard ESP light stuck on which is due to failure of the Number 2 brake pressure sensor (I have replaced the number 1 sensor) and (Got a replacement sensor for the number 2) I was wondering if anyone has and sneaky hints or tips to get at it and remove it without removing the whole brake master cylinder unit?

Any help would be really appreciated

Last edited:
Reactions: Em_doubleu
Mar 11, 2019
Hi mate,

I have got further with it actually so, I replaced one (number 2 sensor which should up as wrong) which threw the other brake pressure sensor on the brake master cylinder.... So you'll need to buy two sensors and replace them both, once you have done that you'll need to recalibrate them to the car which any good VAG garage should be able to plug in and do and then it's all fixed.

It's a 2/3 hour garage job but you don't need to remove the brake master cylinder itself just everything around it, that inculdes the underneath..... And of course bleed the system.

Let me know if that's any help

May 16, 2019
Hi mate,

I have got further with it actually so, I replaced one (number 2 sensor which should up as wrong) which threw the other brake pressure sensor on the brake master cylinder.... So you'll need to buy two sensors and replace them both, once you have done that you'll need to recalibrate them to the car which any good VAG garage should be able to plug in and do and then it's all fixed.

It's a 2/3 hour garage job but you don't need to remove the brake master cylinder itself just everything around it, that inculdes the underneath..... And of course bleed the system.

Let me know if that's any help

Ok. That’s good at least you’ve got it sorted. The garage I took mine to was saying that it’s a pain to get to because of removing the master cylinder and all the ancillary parts around it. Looks like I may have to find another garage.
I was told the sensors are about £100 each, is this about right?

Mar 11, 2019
Hi mate,

Yeah that's the biggest pain, just getting at it to remove the 2 difficulty placed brake pressure sensors. In answer to the cost question you can get about 3 for £100. Get on ebay and you'll find genuine vw ones for 35ish just type in G201 AND G214 brake pressure sensor and it will come up easily enough.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members