Offroad mode.

Apr 29, 2021
Hi everyone! I'm planning on purchasing the new Formentor and I was wondering about the off road mode. We have a cabin in the mountains which is accessible by any car when the weather is nice, in winter however you need a 4x4 as there are a few inclines and it snows. We are currently using an old VW Touareg for this and it gets us there every time regardless of the weather. Has anyone yet had any experience with the Formentor in heavy snow and light off roading? How does it perform? Would you put your confidence in it? I want to free up a parking space and get rid of the old Touareg if this car were up to the task.

Also does anyone know the ground clearance of it? I can't find this information anywhere. Thanks

Last edited:

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
I think ground clearance is 17cm, don't ask me where I found it, I just remember it from initial research. There's a video on YT of Formentor on Ski Slope in Poland, but I'm not sure how similar it is, to your winter conditions. Ski Slope is more slippery, rather than deep snow.

And another one of drifting in the snow, some of it a bit deeper than normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: emix

VocalHusky

Apr 28, 2021
To me the lowest point seemed to be on the rear wheel axle and comes in at roughly 18cm. The engine shield seemed higher, and also the car's sides (at over 20cm)
1619703707549.png

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
I'd be more concerned about the height of the front splitter - that acts like a shovel/plough in deeper snow. Really, it's not an off-roader - any more than that the Ateca is, although that has greater ground clearance of course.

VocalHusky

Apr 28, 2021
I'd be more concerned about the height of the front splitter - that acts like a shovel/plough in deeper snow. Really, it's not an off-roader - any more than that the Ateca is, although that has greater ground clearance of course.
The front seems to sit above 20cm but I agree with you, the car is not a serious off roader
1619706613041.png

Apr 29, 2021
Useful info thanks everyone! While I don't expect it to be good for proper offroading, I do some so called "soft roading", snow, gravel roads, beaches etc.

It's not very tall off the ground, could get stuck easily in snow/sand. But it doesn't really deter me, I'll just be more careful.

On the drifting video posted, is that really how it sounds? Can anyone confirm?

VocalHusky

Apr 28, 2021
The VZ has fake sound in the speakers as far as I know (configurable). Maybe that's what we hear in the vid (someone even said in the vid comments that it's a shame they put the fake sound from the speakers as background)
Also HEY! that drifting vid is from my country and even county! :D

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
The VZ has fake sound in the speakers as far as I know (configurable). Maybe that's what we hear in the vid (someone even said in the vid comments that it's a shame they put the fake sound from the speakers as background)
Also HEY! that drifting vid is from my country and even county! :D
I'd say that is the fake sound from the cabin. Snow noises would probably be much more prominent if they used an external microphone.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise