Oil change FR 1.5

RainyDay

May 9, 2022
Hi guys. What kind of oil does the dpc engine on the 2022 FR 1.5 take? How often do you change it if you drive the car in a spirited manner often? Do you do topups or just outright replace it all?

Aug 3, 2022
Hi, oil manufacturers recommend 0w20 of VW 508 00 norm(Castrol, Shell, Millers Oils, Liqui Moly ). My personal preference is to change oil each 15 thousands kilometers and topup just when its close to lower level.

kurac338

Mar 30, 2020
Croatia
Yes. The 0W20 oil grade is supposed to be "long lasting", so you should be fine with 15 000 km change intervals.
I change mine on a yearly basis, regardless of the driven distance. This year the car has accumulated less than 10 000 km because of home office and less travels.
Still a good idea to change it nevertheless. Its "cheap" and insures engine health.

Mine doesn't sip any oil, so no top-ups required. Only periodic inspection of the oil level.

Reactions: Coala

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
For me the rare 1.5tsi takes Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 4.3 litres with Mann W712/95 oil filter. Sump nut torque 30Nm. Oil changed every 6 or 12 months depending on mileage ! I am a heathen when it comes the 19mm sump nut I reuse the old one as it is perfectly deformed to fit and never leaks.

Last edited:

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
The 1.0tsi uses the same Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 and the same oil filter. An oil change use 4.0 litres with filter change. I tend not to do the oil filters up to the full 20 Nm as this seems a bit tight when you later try to remove it.

I did a post a while back on how I modified the 1.0tsi plastic sump guard to give easy access to the oil filter.

RainyDay

May 9, 2022
Thanks so much guys. Very useful information. Is there any sense in changing oil more frequently? I have a tuning box and a higher flow intake and rev the engine a bit higher than the average person so with all that in mind I assume it eats through more oil. Should I be changing every 10k instead of 15?

Also, does anyone know if a baffled oil pan is available anywhere for this car? How hard would it be to change?

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
Mobil 1 ESP is a fully synthetic oil. And if as you say you drive your 1.5 TSI hard I would use this or something similar with regular oil changes.

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
Oil specifications are a bit of a minefield. VW have their own specifications 11 in total I believe. The compliance with VW specs is on the label of all oil manufacturers containers.

I have always checked for compliance with VW 504.00 the standard oil for regular service intervals and VW 507.00 for extended service intervals. These two specifications are listed on the Mobil 1 ESP container so I'm happy to use it (I have no personal interest in Mobil there are lots of other oils that are just as good and meet the VW specifications).

There is VW 508.00/VW 509.00 for the 0W-20 lubricants. If you have time to spare you can do more research on www.oilspecifications.org.

RainyDay

May 9, 2022
Oil specifications are a bit of a minefield. VW have their own specifications 11 in total I believe. The compliance with VW specs is on the label of all oil manufacturers containers.

I have always checked for compliance with VW 504.00 the standard oil for regular service intervals and VW 507.00 for extended service intervals. These two specifications are listed on the Mobil 1 ESP container so I'm happy to use it (I have no personal interest in Mobil there are lots of other oils that are just as good and meet the VW specifications).

There is VW 508.00/VW 509.00 for the 0W-20 lubricants. If you have time to spare you can do more research on www.oilspecifications.org.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I ended up just buying oil from my dealership this time since it's a PITA to find all brands in one place here.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members