Oil change/inspection service?????

Gavin290

Jun 18, 2015
Evening all, so sorry if this has come up before but I'm really confused here.

I've got a 2020 290, had the oil and filter done as usual when the car asked me at the 1 year interval etc etc.

On the service menu it's saying inspection service in 74 days??

What the hell is that? It won't be due another oil change until next year when it gets to 2 years old.

Car only has around 13,500 miles on it at the moment?

Really not sure what I need to do, can anyone help please, cheers.

Gavin

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
This is a stupid situation for an owner to end up in, but yes, I've been there with an Audi S4, variable service one month inspection the next - I ended up bad mouthing the service people as it just did not seem right that any service recommendations, which within warranty are effectively rules of engagement, force you to have 2 visits in 2 months or so!

There is another possibility as I've now reread your posting, and that is that this car was sent out with fixed servicing and the oil change clock started at initial build and somehow the inspection clock is tied to point of sale - either way that is the supplying dealer's error as they should be zeroing these alerts at PDI, my daughter's May 2019 Cupra was a May pre-reg, and came to her in September with a few miles and all the original factory build accumulation of logged faults, to avoid any inconvenience I saved them, printed them out and cleared them.

I'd think that to keep yourself fully in compliance with the car warranty, you will need to suffer a return for inspection this once, but make a mental note to force the inspection to be part of the service in 2 years time and so that will re-align them.

Reactions: Gavin290

Gavin290

Jun 18, 2015
This is a stupid situation for an owner to end up in, but yes, I've been there with an Audi S4, variable service one month inspection the next - I ended up bad mouthing the service people as it just did not seem right that any service recommendations, which within warranty are effectively rules of engagement, force you to have 2 visits in 2 months or so!

There is another possibility as I've now reread your posting, and that is that this car was sent out with fixed servicing and the oil change clock started at initial build and somehow the inspection clock is tied to point of sale - either way that is the supplying dealer's error as they should be zeroing these alerts at PDI, my daughter's May 2019 Cupra was a May pre-reg, and came to her in September with a few miles and all the original factory build accumulation of logged faults, to avoid any inconvenience I saved them, printed them out and cleared them.

I'd think that to keep yourself fully in compliance with the car warranty, you will need to suffer a return for inspection this once, but make a mental note to force the inspection to be part of the service in 2 years time and so that will re-align them.
Thank you for the reply! so basically it's an issue with how they set the service timers when I first bought the car? So effectively I could be doing an oil change in 74 days and another one in March? that sounds bonkers?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
@Gavin290

You can read up on the servicing schedules via the workshop manuals here titled ‘Maintenance’:

VW/Audi Group have made a right hash of the legacy fixed (distance/time - 15000km/9350miles or 1 year) vs variable (up to 30000km/18700miles or 2 years) on the MQB platform cars introduced from 2013.

I have VCDS, so can reset the oil/inspection services to the correct date/mileages, but frequently have received all manner of random entries when the cars are serviced by the main dealer.

Essentially, they’ve split the oil and inspection elements of the servicing. Your car will require the safety inspection but not oil service in 70 or so days time.

VAG generally recommend that the Cupra/S/R cars are set to fixed/annual servicing.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Their mistake /incompetence and you have to pay for it! I'd be expecting the dealer to sort that out, let the sales manager and service manager fight over who's paying for it, some dealerships need shutting down until trained staff take over. Surely the settings can be changed to the correct required by the dealer and you can carry on with a smile on your face?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.