Oil Change through the Dipstick tube? 2.0 184 diesel

jf_cole

Jan 28, 2020
Hi all,

Is it possible to do an oil change through the dipstick? Anyone done it on their 2.0 diesel?

The car has only done 2k miles since its last service and with the current health crisis and low funds, I don't particularly want to go to a dealership. So was thinking of getting one of those oil pumps that suck out from the dipstick tube and do a quick oil change on the drive (My drive doesn't lend itself to getting under the car) to tide me over.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I think a lot of places do it that way. The disadvantages as I can see it are that you're not going to be washing out any crap that's lying at the bottom of the sump and you can't change the filter from above.

To be honest, if the car's only done 2K miles since it was last done I wouldn't bother.

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
You can do. I change my oil every 6,000 miles. I alternate between full service ie sump drain and all new filters and an 'out through the dipstick' drain using a vacuum pump thing. You can only suck out roughly 4.0-4.2 litres of the 5 that's in there but it's a lot better than nothing!

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
Before spending on a Vacuum pump have a look at some of the local indy service places.

National for example want £55 for an oil and filter change on a 2.0Leon diesel. There's a fiver off voucher on their website too, so at £50 it'll be cheaper than buying oil/filter/pump and doing it yourself. They are using Valvoline fully synthetic so not scrimping on the oil.

I'm not "anti-pump", I've got one myself and have used it for a quick oil change, great on lawnmowers and other equipment too. Just might not be the best way for your need. HTH

jf_cole

Jan 28, 2020
Thanks all,

Looks like I will invest in a pump and 5 litres of oil. It should get me to the next Service next January. The car only has 20k miles from new and its 5 years old! Wont be driving it much before probably the summer again.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
National for example want £55 for an oil and filter change on a 2.0Leon diesel. They are using Valvoline fully synthetic so not scrimping on the oil.

Don't trust these Quick Fix outfits, not even slightly. Do you think they're going to keep a stock of all the correct oils for the different engines? Not a chance. One big drum for everyone. Let your car in there for an oil change and it'll need new tyres and brake pads by the time it comes out.

Children managed by children managed by crooks. I'd let the cat do it before I'd go near those craters.

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
Don't trust these Quick Fix outfits, not even slightly. Do you think they're going to keep a stock of all the correct oils for the different engines? Not a chance. One big drum for everyone. Let your car in there for an oil change and it'll need new tyres and brake pads by the time it comes out.

Children managed by children managed by crooks. I'd let the cat do it before I'd go near those craters.
I am cynical too, but have used them in the past. The oil did come out of a 55 Gallon drum but was Castrol Edge and of the correct spec, the filter was a FRAM part so no problems there. So I did check and it was done correctly, whilst I waited & watched so they didn't have time to swap the engine out or the tyres.(y)

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The oil did come out of a 55 Gallon drum but was Castrol Edge and of the correct spec, the filter was a FRAM ..

FRAM filters are rubbish and just because it said Castrol on the tin.... ;0)

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
I have had 3 services now.
I have checked under my car, the UNDERTRAY has NEVER been moved/taken off. I read or saw on a forum that a corner is missing to allow oil drainage. NOT on my car?

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
That doesn't sound likely. I might be remembering it incorrectly but the sump plug is right in the middle so pretty inaccessible unless you remove the undertray.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
The problem with those vacuum pumps through the dipstick is that they never get anywhere near all the oil out - I have one and the best I can do with about 15 psi vacuum is leave around .5 litre (remove sump plug afterwards to check)

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The problem with those vacuum pumps through the dipstick is that they never get anywhere near all the oil out

I think they're probably fine for additional oil changes but if dealers and quick-type places are doing it that way it's not good. You're not getting a full oil change but they'll love it because it's quicker, easier and they're putting less oil in!

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
I remember back when I had company cars, Vauxhall dealers tend to use the suck it out the dipstick method. Ok occasionally but a proper drain gets more oil out.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Dealerships aint taking undertrays off

every oil service now is coming via a vacuum tank

unless you use an old school mechanic

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
I tried it on my 184 with my Pela pump and only got about 3l out. Oil capacity is over 4l.

The first gen CR's and the PD's you could get it all out through the dipstick tube.

jf_cole

Jan 28, 2020
I got just over 4 litres oil at the weekend on mine. Had to "fish" the pipe back and forth when it started to pull air after maybe 3.5 litres. Put in a litre of clean oil in then, let it mix and pulled out another litre.

Filled her up, just over 4 litres again. So perhaps only getting 80% out, but works in my case (3k miles since last service).

Reactions: Mr Pig

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh
I had the old car serviced at Arnold Clark main dealer 2 yrs ago, a few days later it was wet and I noticed oil on the ground in front of car. Put it up on ramps and removed the fixings at the back of undertray to find it covered with oil inside.
My first thought was sump plug was leaking but cleaned around it and no oil leak. The dealers must have removed the sump plug to drain oil but not fully removed the undertray and spilled the old oil into it.
The dealer invoice for service done this month lists N90813202 which is a sump plug, you'd hope they have changed it if charging for it.

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Ahh yes empathise.
Chippenham motor company must have done that to me or else took the filter out whilst full.
Panicked after parking on my sloping drive to see all the oil.
Had to power wash it from above and used TFR to emulsify it.
PIA

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.