oil cooler opinions?!

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
but worth having on a modified engine? im only trying to make my engine as reliable as possible, and having an oil cooler looks to be a good idea to keep oil temps down! and for money it doesnt seem to bad!

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
If your seeing high oil temps on the roads then there's something wrong or your oil is pap. I wouldn't bother with a cooler unless your spanking it on track, plus they might seem cheap but you also need a thermostat and the sandwich adaptor etc. etc.

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
as said id only have one if youre having oil temp issues...
My oil temp often reaches 90'C and if its really hot outside and im on the motorway itll go much higher...
Ive got an oil cooler to fit, but then ive had it to fit for 2 years.
Wouldnt say you needed one

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
As above, not worth it unless you're giving it stick around a track on a warm day.

Keep an eye on your oil temp. It's good to have it fairly warm.

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
it will go on track! this is the thing! its getting used for really really fast road and it saw a tasty 104ish on the degree scale in the arctic cold of lakeside (i was rather flat out tho on private road) i am just trying to make the car as reliable as possible!

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
I didn't have an aftermarket one on my 8v but on Saxon Motorsport's advice I do have one on the Cordy. That's on the basis that it is a trackday toy so will lead a hard life.

Currently getting DIS oil temperatures in the high 60's. Slightly concerned that is too cool (although the water temp is fine), so considering blanking some of it off.

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
I didn't have an aftermarket one on my 8v but on Saxon Motorsport's advice I do have one on the Cordy. That's on the basis that it is a trackday toy so will lead a hard life.

Currently getting DIS oil temperatures in the high 60's. Slightly concerned that is too cool (although the water temp is fine), so considering blanking some of it off.

Is a thermostat not the way to go?

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
you can get a thermostat mate that only opens the path to the cooler when the oil gets to a certyain temp... might be worth investing in one of those?

theres akit on flebay that has a 15row cooler with a 80C thermostat in the sandwich plate :)

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Seriously pete, listen to others, you will cause more damage than prevent

If it overcools the oil, you will mess up the engine

Unless it is only/nearly all a track day car like dave/jason

Just leave it!

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Pete it's a easy one.... stop driving like a tw@t on public roads!

Jason, I have a thermostat in my sandwich plate so it won't come on till 80C. Since having mine fitted the oil temp as never gone over 110C.... before I was seeing 140C :-o which then I would back right off on that lap, the oil was then changed after every trackday I did!

All jokes aside Pete 104C is nothing, the best running temp for oil is around 90C so that is nothing to worry about! One thing to worry about is the low temps some of you are getting because cooler oil is just as bad as the oil getting too hot!

Like I said I still get temps up to 110C on a summers trackday and thats with a 16 row cooler! But them temps are still safe :D

If it overcools the oil, you will mess up the engine

Agreed - Different application yada yada... but my mate fitted a large MOCAL Oil cooler behind the grille of his 485bhp GT4 and found that the oil was doing just that - getting too cold. Solution... he covered half of it with a bit of aluminium with a couple grub screws. For any track action he removed the plate and got full flow through the cooler.

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
Jason, I have a thermostat in my sandwich plate so it won't come on till 80C. Since having mine fitted the oil temp as never gone over 110C.... before I was seeing 140C :-o which then I would back right off on that lap, the oil was then changed after every trackday I did!

Hmm, just checked my invoice and it just says 'Oil Cooler Kit'. Will ping Mark an email...