Oil in coolant reserve??

Jasonox

Jul 22, 2015
Cornwall, United Kingdom
So this is what the garage has done to my car, said drive it for a couple of days to see if any oil comes out from the holes (oil cooler bypass) and if it does that means the oil cooler is the issue! Otherwise it means the head gasket is weaping and will need replacing.. Working late tonight so will have to give it a run tomorrow sometime
99de76b77afd4500d5840a7b73a0a64d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

cunningham85

Feb 3, 2015
Lochore Fife
Cool Jason,

Keep me updated please, its the only niggle I have with my car and looking to sell next year and I don't think anyone would buy it with this issue

Jasonox

Jul 22, 2015
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Oh and a new ecu as my old one kept flashing up all sorts of lights on the dash and turning the fan on before even have the engine running

cunningham85

Feb 3, 2015
Lochore Fife
Wow how long have you had the car? Ive had mine a year and all ive done is replace the front tyres and put a new radiator on. Im going to scratch an itch and get and impreza next year as ill no longer require a diesel

Jasonox

Jul 22, 2015
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Not looking good, think as I've spent so much on repairs already I may aswell look at a reconditioned engine stead of repairing head as may develop more problems for the same kinda money

cunningham85

Feb 3, 2015
Lochore Fife
Surely a skim and new gasket isn't going to be much. Up here its like 40 quid for the skim then parts maybe 150 for belt gasket and water pump then maybe 200 for labour?

Jasonox

Jul 22, 2015
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Yeah that's always a possibility but taking half the engine apart on one of these apperantly is a big job itself and will cost tons in labour alone

Jasonox

Jul 22, 2015
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Well since Ive had my oil cooler bypassed surprisingly no oil come through to my coolant since cleaning the tank out so dropped a dish washer tablet into the coolant and ran it for few days, had it flushed today and oil cooler put back to normal. So if the oil starts polluting my water again it must be the oil cooler in my opinion time will tell

Last edited:

cunningham85

Feb 3, 2015
Lochore Fife
great news Jason. Im really needing to get mine fixed as I want to sell and get an impreza and I cant sell it with losing coolant and oil droplets. keep me updated please mate

Jasonox

Jul 22, 2015
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Well after driving the car less than 5 minutes since garage replaced the pipes on oil cooler this is the water over night.... Surly this means it's the oil cooler causing the problem and not the head gasket
c30ada87e985d191a5eb881a21eeccbf.jpg

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.