Opinions on fitting fmic over smic

markpile

Wolves till i die!!!!
Mar 15, 2014
Wolverhampton
I'm thinking of getting a fmic fitted, I'd like to keep the pipe work to a minimum so thinking of using the factory route, can anyone recommend a fmic that will have inlet and exit pipes on the same side for this to be achieved, and secondly will the car need to be remapped as I am thinking it may have already been mapped as it boosts at 1.1/1.3 bar and is extremly smooth

Thanks

akko

Mar 23, 2013
Stockton-On-Tees
Most of the FMIC kits have the inlet and outlet pipes on the side, i.e a single-pass exchanger. I went for the wellycooler and had my car mapped beforehand, i haven't had it mapped since. It would certainly benefit to have it mapped in to get the full benefit of the increased cooling, but someone correct me if I'm wrong in thinking the ECU will react to the reduced temperatures anyway. Furthermore when a car gets mapped in front of a fan (if done on the rollers) then having a larger intercooler will be closer to those conditions than returning to just the SMIC after.

wildrides

Dec 27, 2013
You can get a nice little double size side mount on ebay for about £100 that is ok for a KO3s at max power. some people put a fan on the back ......... even better. Fits on existing mounts so easy fit and no lag off tick over like on a cupra R with its quarter of a mile of pipe work to fill . What are they like these germans eh ! with their over complex over engineered pipe work .

there are also some same side front mounters that are pretty cheap on ebay and make forge look very over priced (which they are )

With forge stuff you get what you pay for, great fitment, tried and tested, my forge front mount kit came with all fittings hoses, crash bar, bolted together no issues no bad fitment job done, many intercooler kits need some faffing not with forge, is expensive but quality if the core is great, had for 4 years no issues... You can no longer get forge kit for the LC now it's discontinued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nd-photo.nl

Mar 6, 2012
The Netherlands
www.nd-photo.nl
I believe TS has normal LC180, so he would need Cupra R inlet + all necessary adjustments...

Forge is tried and tested, has more pressure drop than single pass IC. Member on dutch Seat forum drove around with 269BHP (LC180, K03s) with the Forge dual pass.

Best is single pass FMIC, but I can understand why you want a dual pass :)

markpile

Wolves till i die!!!!
Mar 15, 2014
Wolverhampton
yh i want the engine bay to look as standard as i can get it, i think the location of the smic is weird if they put it there why not just fit it another 18" across and give them a factory fmic, bloody germans lol even though its made in spain

markpile

Wolves till i die!!!!
Mar 15, 2014
Wolverhampton
That's the kind of design I'm looking for that way it will keep as much of the factory piping as poss, I'll post a question and ask if it will fit the Leon

cupra_mike

Jan 30, 2011
it should fit but i bet they dont have a clue the Leon AUQ is the same engine as the Anniversary Golf (AUQ 180) ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members