Opinions Wanted Before Purchase Please

hertssjc

Jun 18, 2012
Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
I currently own a 2010 Leon 2.0 Tdi 130 manual with winter pack, and have a few of questions as I am looking at changing vehicles.

1. I am looking to buy a 2108 FR Petrol 1.4 tsi (150), is this a reliable engine?
  2. Toying with the idea of a DSG, does anyone have any input on pro's and con's or any known issues.
  3. I have seen two styles of alloy's, is there a significance in that they are to do with trim level?
Any comments regarding things to look out for would be appreciated, although pretty sure I will be buying from a main dealer.

Many thanks.

2Stevo2

Oct 20, 2015
North Lanarkshire, Scotland
1. I owned a 2015 1.4 TSI (150) from new for about 2 1/2 years and it was as reliable as they come. Beyond that, I'm not sure.
2. I would always recommend DSG. It has its own pros and cons but I personally believe it to be very good and much better than the manual
3. Try and get one with the 18 inch alloys, I think the 17 inch alloys look like coasters.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I went from a VW 2.0 TDI 150 to the 1.4 TSI 150 and noticed a considerable improvement in handling, due to half the engine weight up front. The petrol torque is a noticeably less, but works across a much larger rev range than the diesel.

Not had A DSG myself yet, but my only concerns would be the extra service costs and changes in driving style needed. The DSG on the 1.4 (dry clutch) is more fragile compared to the 2.0 cupra (wet clutch).

The different alloy was just a single cost option, not a pack, for 18" over 17" and it's totally your preference; the 17" is quite a firm ride on bad surfaces and the 18" even more so. I mainly look at wheel options from a 'how long will it take me clean that' view as I can't see them while I'm driving it.

Reactions: martin j.

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
Leased a brand new 2017 1.4 TSI 150 Manual and had no problems with it. Mated it to a Racechip tuning box and it had plenty of grunt, but still very frugal.
Wouldn't hesitate getting this engine in a car again.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hertssjc

Jun 18, 2012
Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
I went from a VW 2.0 TDI 150 to the 1.4 TSI 150 and noticed a considerable improvement in handling, due to half the engine weight up front. The petrol torque is a noticeably less, but works across a much larger rev range than the diesel.

Not had A DSG myself yet, but my only concerns would be the extra service costs and changes in driving style needed. The DSG on the 1.4 (dry clutch) is more fragile compared to the 2.0 cupra (wet clutch).

The different alloy was just a single cost option, not a pack, for 18" over 17" and it's totally your preference; the 17" is quite a firm ride on bad surfaces and the 18" even more so. I mainly look at wheel options from a 'how long will it take me clean that' view as I can't see them while I'm driving it.

Boomer,

Thanks for the sound advice, it's very useful. Didn't think about the cleaning aspect but definitely a good shout.

Thanks again!

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Mrs Seriously is the best part of 3 years into her 1.4 EcoTSi ownership and still loves it. I must admit, every time I drive it I'm pleasantly surprised how good it is.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Just traded in my 17 FR 1.4tsi manual. Had it for best part of 4 years and never missed a beat, not a single issue. Power was good for its size and with the ACT fuel economy is awesome too (regularly got high 50s on my commute to work).

Dsg vs manual is a common debate, mine was manual, I now have a cupra st with dsg and I'd say I prefer it to the manual. It's all personal preference though, test drive each back to back is what I'd suggest.

In terms of wheels, I much preferred the 18s over the 17s. Filled the arches a whole lot better and were more than comfortable to drive with day to day (I now have 19s and still notice no really difference). I do prefer a slightly harder ride though so maybe that's why I don't notice too much.

That's my opinions, hope it helps.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
My wife has that engine in her 66 plate Ibiza FR and it’s a good engine. Although it’s only done 16,000 miles, it’s been reliable. Good fuel economy and still nippy, even after my Golf R. I can’t stand DSG myself - my R is a manual and I just wish SEAT would sort out their suspension because the ride quality in my wife’s Ibiza is diabolical. I may well be spoiled as my R has adaptive dampers but there’s no getting away from the fact that her FR is crashy, hard riding and feels every bump and rut. Not sporty at all - it’s horrible! Rest of the car is okay though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BlackCupraa

2.0 BOOST
Sep 18, 2004
Chesterfield
Points 2 and 3 are relevant to me:-

I'd much prefer a DSG to a manual car these days, it's mainly traffic that we're all rolling in and these take a lot of the "Stress" out of driving.

Also, if you prefer a more comfortable drive, go for the 17's.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
I've had my 1.4Tsi ACT for almost 2 years now and it's a spot on engine. It's manual and it's been remapped, had no issues with the remap, that's been on it for 1 and a half years now. They're pokey for what they are and are nice to drive.

Mine is the FR and came with 18 inch wheels and sports suspension. The ride comfort is good with just me, a car full of adults is a harsh ride. In terms of trim level I'd keep an eye out for other stuff that is included such as Auto Lights, Auto wipers, Adaptive Cruise Control if that's something you'd use often, Heated seats etc. There's alot of different things you can get, things like heated seats and low washer fluid level only come with the winter pack for instance. I'd probably focus on those more so than the wheels as the wheels can be easily changed in the future. All of the stuff I've listed can be retrofitted and I've retrofitted some of it myself, but it would be easier to change wheels after the fact than retrofitting stuff.

Points 2 and 3 are relevant to me:-

I'd much prefer a DSG to a manual car these days, it's mainly traffic that we're all rolling in and these take a lot of the "Stress" out of driving.

Also, if you prefer a more comfortable drive, go for the 17's.
Right there with you. Coming from a manual Leon, the DSG is just a dream through traffic now I'm getting old and the legs aren't what they used to be. :p

Came from a 1.4 TSI FR ('18) yesterday. Absolutely loved the car. Smooth engine, great manual gearbox (if a tad too notchy), and okay comfort for a vehicle with more rigid suspension. First automatic for me and the DSG is just amazing, though as others have alluded to, it's all down to which you prefer. For me, I cannot go back to a manual now.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The 1.4 TSi ACT is a nice engine. It does feel a little under-powered in the Leon but it's sweet, linear and free revving and it will propel you at a reasonable speed if forced to. Reliability seems good too. Avoid the 1.5 TSi as it has issues.

The DSG gearbox is just an automatic, it's nothing magical. If you don't like automatics you probably won't like it, I don't, but it's a personal thing. Lots of people love it. They are generally reliable but if they do break, you are crying. On an older car the repair will probably exceed the value of the car.

Alloys is a bit of a lottery. Just pick a car with ones you like. The facelift cars have tweaked suspension and the ride is better even on 18s but if you mainly drive on pot holed roads 17s will be slightly more comfortable.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.