Panoramic roof leak

dhi77

Oct 28, 2014
Hi all
We have a 60 plate new shape alhambra and water is running down the A pillars. We have checked the drain pipes from the panoramic roof and they're ok. I was wondering if there is a known problem with these and what the solution is. I only have the car a few weeks. TIA

rodneytrotter

Dec 2, 2014
I've got the same problem on a 61 plate Alhambra I bought last week. In my case it's just on the left hand/passenger A pillar. Did you get any further with yours?

dhi77

Oct 28, 2014
Got it sorted fingers crossed with SEAT dealer. The sunroof was taken out and the main clips for holding sunroof water tracks were found to be broken. These are part of the sunroof and can't be purchased separately, these were repaired with Trans 7 clear. The dealer told me if it leaks again, it needs a new roof which is big bucks.

It was on the system that the car had been in before in a main dealer, for the very same problem on the 16th Apr 14. The car was purchased in England with a 12 month all component warranty, which isn't valid as I live in Ireland. I was told by SEAT warranty services that I should NOT have been offered this product by the supplying dealer.

I am pursuing a definate line of enquiry regarding reimbursement of monies for repairs to the motor car, along with a few outstanding issues, missing luggage cover, no DSG oil change EVER in 60k miles, and incorrect headlight alignment due to possible accident damage.

Last edited:

rodneytrotter

Dec 2, 2014
Thank you for the speedy update, much appreciated.

I'm at a much earlier stage having only just discovered the problem. Mine is also covered under the Seat approved used warranty but the local dealer (not where I bought it from) has said that the sunroof wouldn't be covered under that. They said they'd seen it before and it was a really big job (aka big bucks!).

It's certainly taken the shine of getting a new (used) car for me and I'm still deciding what to do with it...

100andthirty

Mar 19, 2004
"comprehensive warranty covering factory fitted electrical and mechanical parts". I would have thought that an electric sunroof was both "electrical and mechanical", and a judge might take a dim view of such an exclusion from a "comprehensive" policy (words in quotes from SEAT website).

That said, I'd suggest going back to the dealer you bought it from and say very firmly that the fault must have been present when sold and it's the dealer's responsibility as the law (Sale of Goods Act etc) presumes that faults discovered during the first 6 months after sale are present at point of sale unless the seller can prove otherwise. (Honest John website has all sorts of references to this). It has to be the dealer you bought it from and not just any SEAT dealer

Last edited:

rodneytrotter

Dec 2, 2014
Thanks, yeah I agree with you on all of that.

I reported the issue to the supplying dealer the day after receipt and they said I should try locally first because they're a long way away from me. So now the local option has drawn a blank I'm going to have to go back to them.

It's a logistical ballache because of the distance, the fact we need the car (too many kids!) and because they're likely to want the car for more than one day.

I definitely think the issue was there when I bought it because the windscreen and side glass (on the side where the leak is) were quite steamy on the way home and I kept on having to put the blowers on. This is of course a classic sign of a water leak somewhere.

I will report back when I've spoken to them again...

dhi77

Oct 28, 2014
Thank you for the speedy update, much appreciated.

I'm at a much earlier stage having only just discovered the problem. Mine is also covered under the Seat approved used warranty but the local dealer (not where I bought it from) has said that the sunroof wouldn't be covered under that. They said they'd seen it before and it was a really big job (aka big bucks!).

It's certainly taken the shine of getting a new (used) car for me and I'm still deciding what to do with it...

Even though the warranty wasn't valid as I live in Ireland, I asked SEAT warranty services a hypothetical question, If I was a UK resident to which they replied "water ingress is not covered." It obviously a component failure, that's the cause plain and simple.

The main SEAT dealer I bought the car off was a bit slippery, the salesman was nice enough, but was new in the job. He was relaying information from the sales manager. They told me a 'hairy ' story about the previous owner having the luggage cover and she would drop it in next week. They would then post it on to me.

I ask for her to be contacted to be sure she still had it. I was told she was a doctor and would be at work. I asked for her number to contact her but because of 'data protection' they would not be able to give me her number.

As I had her name and address on the V5, I took the the liberaty of calling in person. no prizes for guessing no cover. I was led to believe by the salesman that she made a very irate phone call to the garage about me calling to her house.

I have written to the dealer principal in September about these issues, no reponse to date, I now have the final bill for the sunroof repair, which l be sending same to dealer principal and be giving a reasonable amount of time to pay, if no payment it will be a trip to the small claims court.

dhi77

Oct 28, 2014
There really is no need for lies like that, it's outrageous coming from a main dealer.

Thats exactly what I thought, I sent a letter they ignored me. I wasn't going to give up that easily. I might write to the previous owner to see what garage she got the bodge sunroof repair done, to see if it was the garage I bought the car from.
Let me know how you get on with the garage and SEAT warranty services.

rodneytrotter

Dec 2, 2014
Just an update on my leaky roof 2011 Alhambra as mentioned above.

I've just got the car back following repair.

The car went into the dealership, they stripped down the interior of the roof in order to access all the bits. The cause was found to be that the "roof cassette" had become ever so slightly misshaped (or was misshaped when put in at the factory).

I'd love to post a link to a diagram but I can't because I've got less than 15 posts on here. But if you look on Google and search for "alhambra 87710 partsbase 7N0877049" then you will find a blow up parts list and it's number 1 on there.

Apparently there is a Seat technical bulletin on this specific issue and the dealer had repaired at least one of these on an Alhambra before.

They attempted to resolve it by re-sealing it but this was unsuccessful (possibly this is the same solution that dhl77 describes above).

So the only option was a new cassette and a few other associated parts (and the labour of course). All in all we're looking at nearly £2k (just over half for parts, just under half for labour).

After diagnosing the problem and pricing up the solution, there was then a couple of weeks of waiting whilst the parties involved (me, the dealer doing the repair, the dealer who sold me the car, Seat UK and the Seat Approved used car warranty provider) argued about who was going to pay for it.

The end result was that Seat UK agreed to pay 85% and the supplying dealer paid the remaining 15%.

I will be keeping a close eye on it next time it rains heavily ;)

dhi77

Oct 28, 2014
Glad you got the problem sorted, our repair which I mentioned earlier was unsuccessful and water is again leaking down the driver's side A pillar. SEAT uk are looking at my case and hopefully they will provide a solution to resolve this problem. I'll report back with an update.

dhi77

Oct 28, 2014
just an update got new sunroof frame fitted by SEAT uk hopefully it proves to be successful.

Last edited:

rodneytrotter

Dec 2, 2014
Glad to hear you've finally got yours sorted.

Coincidentally mine's with the dealer at the moment due to an engine warning light, turns out it needs a new NOX sensor/control unit - luckily this is one of the handful of things that IS actually covered under the Seat used car warranty ;)

rodneytrotter

Dec 2, 2014
Any reason why it broke in the first place?

I did ask about this at the garage and they were unsure as to whether it was something to do with the roof cassette becoming ever so slightly mis-shaped during its life or whether it was just not quite right from the day it was put in at the factory.

It's a recognised problem/issue, but not a very common one.

So I suppose the answer to your question is: dunno!

lucy_t

Jul 23, 2005
lol, just thought here might be something I could check on mine, but its a suffer when it happens kind of thing!!!

harra1577

Aug 18, 2015
Hi

I have a 2011 Alhambra (bought from new) with the panoramic roof that has leaked water for the past 3 years. We don't use the car everyday so unless we go out in it when it rains we don't always notice the water dripping down the A pillars. I've had the car into the dealership on about 4 / 5 occasions and whilst they are very apologetic they can't replicate the fault and the car comes back 'fixed' but it isn't of course!

When the car started leaking water again last it was out of the 3 year warranty. In fairness to the dealer they agreed to repairs at no cost on the basis that they knew there was a pre-existing fault. Sadly, the water leak started again in May of this year and when it went back to the dealer they again 'fixed' the fault and said that Seat had issued a technical bulletin. Bingo, I thought....

So, today the car is leaking in water again and I went back to the dealership.... They are very apologetic, but they also don't seem any closer to identifying the fault.

This is the 3rd major fault that I've had. We had an issue with the electric sliding doors and the safety sensor stopping them closing, which wasn't resolved for over 18 months. We have a NO3 faulty sensor that was mis-diagnosed by a dealer in Cumbria who said we needed £50 on add blue!

I'm starting to think that I have bought a lemon!

Has anyone else with the leaky roof had this repaired correctly? What has been your experiences with Seat UK?

rodneytrotter

Dec 2, 2014
Harra1577 - sorry to hear you've got a leaky one too... I can't add much to what I said above but the dealer expressed clearly to me that there were two repair options - the first is a bit of a bodge which sometimes works, and the second is the very time consuming and expensive repair that I had. Unless you've had the latter, you're potentially going to get the leak coming back. Do you know what they did to repair it?

Before the repair, the leak was very intermittent - it would depend on where I parked the car (pointing up or down hill), how much rain, etc etc.

I spoke to a mechanic friend of mine (not from the dealer) and he said that all the dealer will do is spray a hosepipe at it for a while, so why don't I do that. So I did. I sprayed the hosepipe from different angles for 20 minutes a go and then looked inside the car. Eventually I worked out the best angle to replicate the problem. In the end I didn't actually need to tell the dealer about this as they accepted it was an issue and sorted it.

I never had to deal with Seat UK, my local dealer did all that on my behalf and was very tenacious in that respect.

I'd be interested to hear more about your electric sliding door problem as I think I might have the same issue on mine, it crops up every month or two. The door almost closes but then pings back open as if there's something in the way. We have to guide the door shut with a bit of force to make it close. There's a chap on Youtube with the same problem I think, but I can't post a link on here due to forum rules. Search on Youtube for "Seat Alhambra 2011 faulty electric sliding door" and you'll see it.

Is that the same issue you've got? How was it fixed?

Thanks

Last edited:

harra1577

Aug 18, 2015
Rodney

That's my video! The door was like that for about 18 months and it was a dealer salesman who solved the problem. The solution for us was actually really simple - there was a very small 'cut' in the rubber seal that is attached to the sliding door and this 'cut' meant that the seal was slightly raised so the sensor thought something was in the way. They replaced this seal and hey presto we've never had an issue since! Have a look at the sliding door seal and the seal on the front passenger/driver door that it meets up with.

I've emailed the MD at Seat about my roof so I'll keep you updated. I've also added a video of my leak - search for Seat Alhambra (submarine) model.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.