Parking the Car in "N"

solly84

Dec 27, 2013
so my country is a mess in traffic, and sometime you have to park in a second or even in third row. so in this situation (which i am trying to avoid as much as i can) you have leave the car movable. and i cant figure how to do it really, read the manual and looks difficult to me!!

any other ways?!

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
I haven't tried it in my Mk3 yet but on previous autos I've owned and my parents have owned you can stop and start the engine with the lever in P or N. So long as there is no drive to engage the wheels )as there would be in R, D, 3, 2, and 1 in autos) the car should allow you to start. It should also allow you to move the car freely so long as the handbrake is off.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Cougar

Jul 10, 2011
This may sound stupid but surely you can just leave it in 'Neutral' then turn the ignition off?

I'm sure I could do that in my Ibiza...

BigfatPaulie

Sep 18, 2013
Nottingham
that diagram is to allow the lock to be released from the gearbox, say in the case of electrical fault, flat battery etc.
You can leave your key in, and select neutral, but do you want to leave your key?
past auto I've had wouldn't let you remove the key unless it was in Park...

Sent using Tapatalk from my ZX81

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Is this one of those countries where they bump your car out of the way to make parking easier?
I thought that was the stuff of legend in this day.

Cougar

Jul 10, 2011
Is this one of those countries where they bump your car out of the way to make parking easier?
I thought that was the stuff of legend in this day.

Haha, I used to live in Thailand when I was younger and in a multi-story car park it was standard practice to leave cars parked across the ones occupying the bays - provided you left the handbrake off!

Some car-parks even employed staff who's job it was to keep moving cars up and down to allow others back out! :p

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
This is what I would do

Either get another key cut, or remove the key head from your spare key and use the key bit (that may be better as if you use the key without a head, anyone looking in won't see the key and be tempted to break in to attempt to steal the car. You may need pliers to turn the key in the ignition)

When you leave the car, put your key above in the ignition which will allow the car to be left in neutral

Get out car, and lock with your normal remote key fob

Your car can now be pushed, is locked safely and even if someone knew your left the key in the ignition they could not steal it as there is no transponder chip in the key

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.