PD130 Oil Filter Socket/Wrench

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Hi all,

Well I went to change the oil on my Mk4 PD130 Sport this morning and found my trusty socket/wrench thing didn't fit!! DOH...

I have been using it for years on my old Tolly TDI 110 and had assumed wrongly that it would also fit my Ibiza.

So there I was, Oil drained, new filter ready and not able to get the top off the oil filter.

It is very similar to the old Tolly, except that it has a big bolt shaped thing molded into the top.
Quitet fortunate really, as borrowed a giant plumbers wrench off a neighbour and managed to loosen it off and remove it.

So, question, does anyone know if it is possible to buy a big socket thing to go on the top similar to the one I have for the 110 TDI ?

A quick look on Ebay reveals exactly what I alread have which I know doesn't fit.

Thanks guy's.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
My BLT PD130 is a standard 32mm socket. A shifter / adjustable may work if your careful with it and get a good hold and as long as it isnt too tight

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Well after my inital post I bought a 32mm socket when I was out today.

I don't actually need it untill my next oil change but thought I would try it on my filter..

Guess what, it isn't big enough !!

Seems it is bigger than 32mm, anyone know the correct size ?

Ta.

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
Well after my inital post I bought a 32mm socket when I was out today.

I don't actually need it untill my next oil change but thought I would try it on my filter..

Guess what, it isn't big enough !!

Seems it is bigger than 32mm, anyone know the correct size ?

Ta.
I have the ASZ PD130 engine and the 32mm socket fits for me.
I hope this doesn't sound too obvious but I'd suggest measuring the oil filter cover nut with a vernier caliper or a ruler. That's what I did and it worked for me. Good luck.

Jun 14, 2009
If you have the official VW oil filter with the bolt on the top then the correct size is 32mm. If it is a unofficial filter then god knows.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
If you have the official VW oil filter with the bolt on the top then the correct size is 32mm. If it is a unofficial filter then god knows.

Whats the OEM or not filter got to do with the hexagon size ?

The filter is inside a housing - its the cap of the housing that has the hex on it.

My ASZ engine had a 36mm hex on the cap.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
That sounds like a good buy - just remember to only ever use it on plastic oil filters though, the single Laser Tools one I bought years ago cost roughly that!

Mar 14, 2020
Sorry to hijack this old post, but my 'filter nut' snapped off when servicing the car at work after I dropped the oil from the engine, ment I couldn't drive home and get another tool so I left the filter and replaced oil. I am going to change the oil again due to the old filter element. question is what size the the filter case? It's a 2006 1.4l petrol BBY engine. I ask in case I cant get my chain tool due to the exhaust outlet manifold

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yeah but no the welds failed on the nut the filter never moved lol

Thanks

Smart thinking on the design then, better than I'd expect - but if it had not torn off you would have been able to get that filter off - which brand of filter is it, I like to use VW Group or one of their suppliers like Mahle or Mann.

Mar 14, 2020
Crossland, trying to find a socket for it - no chance in getting a chian wrench in that i can see - one option is to go from under the car but it's still pretty cramped

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I don't think that there is suitable multifaced socket for that type, I've always gone in from the top for some reason on that engine, but I've never ever bought Crossland, maybe give them a miss in the future!

There is a clamp/wrench type that might work, I've never used one of them though - I would think a chain wrench like the one I used to use on older cars should work, with a ratchet and very short extension possibly.

MW05

Oct 18, 2015
I'm frankly shocked that there are some people who don't have a comprehensive set of sockets...:blink::cry:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.