PD170 to FR184

nc30rider

Feb 8, 2009
Where ever the wife tells me
After 6 years of FR170PD ownership it's time to chop it in for a FR184.

The deal isn't done yet, as I've another couple to look at. Though I had my first drive in one today.

First impressions are very good, nice step up in interior quality etc. Two things that did strike me were that I'm gonna miss the chunky steering wheel and PD punch. The 184 is quick, no question, but I do like the kick in the pants from my PD.

I have one question for owners with auto wipers. If you turn the auto feature off, does the intermittent wipe switch on top of the stalk revert to controlling the time like normal intermittent? The reason why I ask is I'm not a fan of auto wipers.

Last edited:

dmcer

Jan 9, 2015
SE
CR Is never going to give you the same kick in back that PD units did, CR engine is a lot smoother, but I find the high revs are also a lot more usable, on the DSG anyway. On the PD engines it seemed the punch and turbo was 2-3.5k. I've not had a PD engine for 5 years now, but just come from a 2.0 Octavia 140PS manual (remapped and putting out around 180PS) and I have to say the 184/dsg in stock form smashes it (that said power to weight ratio between the octy and leon is somewhat different in the leon's favour).

The switch on the wiper stalk only services the sensitivity of the rain sensor. If you've got auto wipers, you've got auto wipers. I must say the rain sensor on the new Leon is far improved from previous VAG efforts. My 06 Jetta was terrible, 2010 Octavia just the same, but this ones a different gravy, on the lowest sensitivity, it seems to hit it just when I would of wiped manually. Very happy with it.

Last edited:

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
After 6 years of FR170PD ownership it's time to chop it in for a FR184.

The deal isn't done yet, as I've another couple to look at. Though I had my first drive in one today.

First impressions are very good, nice step up in interior quality etc. Two things that did strike me were that I'm gonna miss the chunky steering wheel and PD punch. The 184 is quick, no question, but I do like the kick in the pants from my PD.

I have one question for owners with auto wipers. If you turn the auto feature off, does the intermittent wipe switch on top of the stalk revert to controlling the time like normal intermittent. The reason why I ask is I'm not a fan of auto wipers.

Hi mate

Re the steering wheel, I was told by the dealer that the earlier model FR 2013, had a slightly thinner rim, and from what I could tell this does appear to be true, so try a later model.

nc30rider

Feb 8, 2009
Where ever the wife tells me
CR Is never going to give you the same kick in back that PD units did, CR engine is a lot smoother, but I find the high revs are also a lot more usable, on the DSG anyway. On the PD engines it seemed the punch and turbo was 2-3.5k. I've not had a PD engine for 5 years now, but just come from a 2.0 Octavia 140PS manual (remapped and putting out around 180PS) and I have to say the 184/dsg in stock form smashes it (that said power to weight ratio between the octy and leon is somewhat different in the leon's favour).

The switch on the wiper stalk only services the sensitivity of the rain sensor. If you've got auto wipers, you've got auto wipers. I must say the rain sensor on the new Leon is far improved from previous VAG efforts. My 06 Jetta was terrible, 2010 Octavia just the same, but this ones a different gravy, on the lowest sensitivity, it seems to hit it just when I would of wiped manually. Very happy with it.

Hi mate

Re the steering wheel, I was told by the dealer that the earlier model FR 2013, had a slightly thinner rim, and from what I could tell this does appear to be true, so try a later model.

Cheers for that guys, I'm sure I read on here that the auto wipers can be switched off in the settings?? But if they work ok then that should be fine.

The other 2 I'm looking at are slightly later models so will see regarding the steering wheel.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
I am just about to change from a mk2 as well, difficult decision but think it's the right choice.. was concerned it didn't feel quite so solid as the mk2 initially but the thin wheel added to that feeling, when I drove a brand new demo it was much better.

exmgman

Nov 30, 2009
Forward to a mk3

I changed last year from a 06 plate mk2 sport TFSI to a Mk3 FR1.8Tsi.
Much quieter in the cabin, up to 8mpg better on a similar journey, better seats, lots of technology ( came with free tech pack), cheaper tax. Downside, not so much torque at low revs, could be because the old car was 2.0 Litre. No traction control. But on balance a good upgrade, provided current problems are resolved.

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
I had the 170PD FR-TDI and the 170CR FR-TDI 1P's and the CR version was so much smoother and silent.
Next to that I had both chipped, first one by REVO and the last one by one of the best in our country and last one had about 210Hp and 430Nm of torque. WHILE THE 170pd gave quite some probs the CR did a perfect job for 115.000 miles before I got my Cupra. torque was phenomenal and power awesome.
Knowing the 5F is a big improvement over his predecessor they can be chipped to about 230Hp and 450Nm of torque.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members