Petrol cap

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Basic question guys.
Has anyone had issues with the inside of lid flooded with water. Should it be draining in some way ?

Olsun

May 10, 2019
Yeah I also have a lot of water that fills up inside the cap. Under the cap but still significantly much. I don't see a issue with it. But it's weird that water goes inside

Skickat från min H8266 via Tapatalk

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
I have an Arona which I beleive has the same filler cap. There is a small drain hole which easily gets blocked. Push a very fine wire down the hole to unblock the drain

Thanks will have another look as could only see what appeared to be recess for screw. Think part of problem is the lid is not best fit and is difficult to click open at times

Sonicboom

Dec 3, 2019
I have had the same problem. A puddle of water sitting under the outer flap, The small drain hole does get blocked very easily. I have cleared it by squeezing hot soapy water from car sponge and poking a cotton bud shaft down the hole. It then goes down with a plughole slurping sound. It drains out of a very small diameter, white pipe. Which you can see under the car, just behind the rear wheel. I have also sometimes experienced difficulty getting the flap to open at petrol station. It seems to have a twisty type of locking post or latch system.

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
I have had the same problem. A puddle of water sitting under the outer flap, The small drain hole does get blocked very easily. I have cleared it by squeezing hot soapy water from car sponge and poking a cotton bud shaft down the hole. It then goes down with a plughole slurping sound. It drains out of a very small diameter, white pipe. Which you can see under the car, just behind the rear wheel. I have also sometimes experienced difficulty getting the flap to open at petrol station. It seems to have a twisty type of locking post or latch system.

Sorry for delay in reply. I could see what I thought was a drain hole but could not push wire down. Will try again. You mentioned the other issue of filler flap sticking. It looks to me as if the whole assembly is sitting to far back and the flap is sticking on the bodywork. I tried some gentle persuasion with a wood block against the front of black filler plastic moulding and a few taps with hammer. Seems to help.

peterlcarter

May 22, 2013
Sorry for delay in reply. I could see what I thought was a drain hole but could not push wire down. Will try again. You mentioned the other issue of filler flap sticking. It looks to me as if the whole assembly is sitting to far back and the flap is sticking on the bodywork. I tried some gentle persuasion with a wood block against the front of black filler plastic moulding and a few taps with hammer. Seems to help.

Hi I have the FR Sport Ibiza and I get the same issue.
I spray some silicone lube (WD40 with the straw attached) down the small drain hole and generally this clears it for short while.
Peter

Kenan

Dec 14, 2018
I had a similar issue on my Leon. I put a spare strimmer cable all the way down the hole followed by viniger (internet reccomendation) followed by some APC and then ran water through and has been fine since.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hi I have the FR Sport Ibiza and I get the same issue.
I spray some silicone lube (WD40 with the straw attached) down the small drain hole and generally this clears it for short while.
Peter

I'd think that no one else wants/needs to do that, if that type of fix is your chosen method to clear this drain, I'd suggest changing to using a components cleaner spray as it will use the propellant gas to blow any debris through the pipe and slightly degrease it at the same time. What you are doing is using the propellant to blow any debris through the pipe - but then lining the pipe bore with silicone lube which will grab anything that ends up going into that tube so will gum it up and re-block it quickly.

For the once or twice I've found these drains blocked on any of our cars over the past 20+ years, I've either used a compressed air duster can or air from a "pump up" garden sprayer which I also use for brake fluid changes.

Edit:- from memory, it is always a good idea to check the root/area that white drain pipe passes over/through as I've found it trapped under the wheel arch liner on a previous car (2009 SEAT Ibiza) and so that was limiting the flow of water, also again from memory, that white pipe is soft and very flexible and so its material actually "loves" to grip/trap any dirt passing down it - ie not smooth internally.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members