Petrol gauge back-lighting intermittent

Brackett

May 12, 2019
When my auto lights come on, the back-lighting to the petrol gauge and the temp gauge sometimes doesn't come on. ie the bit with the 0 / half / full etc fixed markings, and the equivalent with the temp guage. The bars that show how much petrol (and the temp) DO always come on.

2018 virtual cockpit.

Doesn't always happen, and fixes itself if i turn the lights off and on again.

Any ideas? Thanks.

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
I would think software issue on a digital display ? Are you still under warranty or just out ?

Brackett

May 12, 2019
Yeah in warranty. Probably get a "can't find a fault Sir, intermittent issues are hard to diagnose Sir" etc.

It's not actually on the digital display though - the backlit markings for the fuel and the temp are outside of the virtual cockpit.

Realised today it's nothing to do with the lights being on, they are backlit at all times, whether the lights are on or not.

But when they don't work, turning the lights off and on again seems to sort it. :confused:

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
Yeah in warranty. Probably get a "can't find a fault Sir, intermittent issues are hard to diagnose Sir" etc.

It's not actually on the digital display though - the backlit markings for the fuel and the temp are outside of the virtual cockpit.

Realised today it's nothing to do with the lights being on, they are backlit at all times, whether the lights are on or not.

But when they don't work, turning the lights off and on again seems to sort it. :confused:
From what you're saying there is definitely an issue with the clocks or the light switch. When you switch the lights off then on it suggests to me it goes through a rest so I'd get it to the dealer's for them to fix under warranty.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Is it anything like the mk3 that dims some dash lights in order to encourage you to turn the lights on in dim lighting conditions?

Brackett

May 12, 2019
Probably end up asking dealer to look at it when it next goes in for a service - I imagine it's just a waste of time if intermittent though, and can't be replicated on demand.

Is it anything like the mk3 that dims some dash lights in order to encourage you to turn the lights on in dim lighting conditions?
No, as it has happened when the lights are already on. (and I probably notice it more then as well, as everything is lit up and the guages aren't - so may well happen more than I realise in the daytime, as backlighting wouldn't show up much anyway).

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.