PLEASE HELP!

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Only checked with the wheels on. You think it’s a good idea to get them checked with the wheels off then mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, take the wheels off - and rotate the discs/hub by hand - this will give you a better 'feel' of the bearing condition for any roughness.
The heavy wheel can mask small rotational issues.
Obviously need the wheels on to feel any bearing play - to give you better leverage.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Yes, take the wheels off - and rotate the discs/hub by hand - this will give you a better 'feel' of the bearing condition for any roughness.
The heavy wheel can mask small rotational issues.
Put a couple of nuts back on to hold the disk tight to hub or it can wobble, rub the pads and make it harder to feel only the bearing.

Reactions: CardiffFR150

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Put a couple of nuts back on to hold the disk tight to hub or it can wobble, rub the pads and make it harder to feel only the bearing.
The Leon has small counter sunk screw to hold the disc on, but yes if missing best to use a nut to secure the disc to the hub.
Yes, if the brake is dragging probably best to pull the caliper off - to truly feel the bearing. Oh and fix the dragging brake!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I got hold of some old large nuts, which are very useful for when you want/need to get the discs back flat against the hub face as they use up the length of the wheel bolts normally used to pass through the wheels and so stop the wheel bolts passing out too far at the rear of the hubs.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I sat in the back whilst my partner drove and it seems like it’s the whole rear end of the car. It’s so hard to pin point it

That's a bummer, as others have said try the hubs with the wheels removed, if the pads are binding a bit remove the caliper as well so you can give the hub a good spin.

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
Sometimes it's fine to let bearing noises develop a bit to make identification easier. I have what I'm pretty certain is a bearing starting to go on the front of my car. The noise only starts about 60mph and is not loud then. Most people wouldn't pick up on it. As yet, I can't tell which side it is so I'm just going to let it develop until I can clearly tell which side it is from and sort it then.

Mines similar. It really starts to drone at around 40 then quiets down a bit

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members