Please vag.com my car.

Cupra craig

Hi
Anybody local with vag.com to scan my car for some beer money? (in bb9 area near Colne)
It won't start and have done all the obvious, plugs, fuel, maf etc.
Off to cry now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cupra craig

It turns over but no life. Just before it died, it had a few days of starting, revd to 1000rpm then died. But you'd leave it for 5 mins and then it would start. It was reving slightly higher on tick over so went down the maf route. I'm not sure if theirs a bad connection on temp sensor as I've changed that, but that still doesn't seem right. Starting to lose faith. My hopes on plugs, but I doubt it.

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
If its cranking but not starting, you either have no fuel or no spark. The crank position sensor tells the ECU when to spark and when to apply fuel. If it isn't working, the car doesn't know when to add fuel or send a spark to the plugs and it won't start. Coolant temperature sensor won't stop the car from starting because there's a generic temperature map in the ECU.

Last edited:

Cupra craig

Is the crank sensor hard to locate? I'm open to all options, or a guide if it's quite easy. Would this explain it being intermittent before it actually died?
Thanks for your help.

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
They usually start giving problems like refusing to start when hot before they give up completely. From memory, I think its located above the bell housing and easiest to get to from below with the undertray removed. It's a replacement job but get the codes read on VCDS/VAG-COM first to rule out fuel pump relay etc.

Another test is to crank the car over and then remove one of the spark plugs and check that its wet, if its no, you have a fuel supply problem rather than a CPS problem.

Cupra craig

Ok. I'll have a go. Thanks for your help. I'll probably be back for more info though, knowing my luck at the moment.

Cupra craig

Quick question. Which position is the fuel pump relay in? I've found tdi ones, is that the same?
Only asking as I've noticed when I open my door I can't hear it pump. Hoping this could be my non start issue.
Forgot to tell everyone it's a, seat Leon cupra 53plate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cupra craig

Turns out its my fuel pump. Going to change it tommorow hopefully. Thanks to all that helped.
Very good community, very glad to be part of it.

Cupra craig

I realised the issue when I couldn't hear the hum before you start the car. I Give the lid a bang as I tried to move it. Then thought let's just try it since I've hit it, and it primed and started! As I took it out, it was fine till I got right outside my house and died. Again with no priming noise. Nice of it to stop working just as I got outside my house! Ha ha. The only thing I'm not sure of is the connectors. How do they come off? They look fragile.

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
I realised the issue when I couldn't hear the hum before you start the car. I Give the lid a bang as I tried to move it. Then thought let's just try it since I've hit it, and it primed and started! As I took it out, it was fine till I got right outside my house and died. Again with no priming noise. Nice of it to stop working just as I got outside my house! Ha ha. The only thing I'm not sure of is the connectors. How do they come off? They look fragile.

The wiring connector has a lift tab on it to release. The fuel connectors need to be squeezed with a pair of pliers to remove them. Don't go mad though as they'll break and won't re-seal. You then need to remove the threaded plastic retaining collar from around the top of the pump. I used a pair of truck oil filter pliers but a hammer and screwdriver will get it turning. Re-fitting is reverse of removal.

Use wet rags everywhere as you will be spilling plenty of petrol. Also try to get a replacement pump that comes with the level sensor etc built in, I got the 255lph one from Euro car parts and it's a straight swap with no disassembly of the pump unit required.

Cupra craig

Cheers. Thanks for that. The connectors concern me as they look the trickiest part of the job. I've got a pump that's the whole thing. I'm guessing the level thingy is the black box on a long bracket? I'm going to give it a go when my 4 year old gets to bed, as trickyness, fuel and a 4 year old seem a bad combination!!

Cupra craig

Sorted. Pump in, SHE'S ALIVE!! Spot on info, would have been struggerling otherwise and paid a garage a small fortune. Thanks for all your help!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise