Polo Rear Wiper Conversion Guide

BeezaDave

LimerickHurlingSupporter
Jul 29, 2009
Limerick/Dublin Ireland
This is a very popular mod on here and I have seen requests for a guide so here it is!

The original, ugly wiper:
IMG_0644.jpg

The original wiper cap pops straight off but might be quiet stiff if it hasn't been removed recently. In my case it had never been opened but still came off quiet easily.

IMG_0645.jpg

The only thing holding on the original wiper is that nut. Bit of spanner work and a nice shot of WD40 and it eventually came off.

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

The new wiper is a straight swap in terms of installation but there can be a problem with the wiper cap being too big and touching the rear windscreen. The rear windscreen washer can also be blocked by the cap. I had this problem and filed about 2mm off the bottom of the cap. Tested it and all works fine:

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

Im guessing that this guide would work for the Ibiza aero wiper also and that wiper would not need modification.

Hope this helps. Any questions or comments, post them up :D

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
It will need a good firm tug (no jokes please lol)

It probably hasn't been off since it came out of the factory, so it won't be easy, but perseverance will prevail :)

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
It will need a good firm tug (no jokes please lol)

It probably hasn't been off since it came out of the factory, so it won't be easy, but perseverance will prevail :)

I have tugged it quite alot :happy:, im worried i might pull the bloody boot off...

Reckon im gonna leave the WD40 to soak in a bit perhaps?

Dec 3, 2009
try pulling and twisting

I had the same problem I could not get it off

tried loads of WD40 overnight as well and still wouldn't budge

seems there is a knack to it! :(

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
Its all about the angle rather than the lubricant just stick with it and it will come off.

Mine never gets garaged and was one of the first cars, came off easy enough after some swearing.

BeezaDave

LimerickHurlingSupporter
Jul 29, 2009
Limerick/Dublin Ireland
Ive take the nut off, but the wiper arm wont come off. Seems to be siezed on. Tried WD40... any other tips!?!?

well when i took the nut off, the old wiper was on the screw at an angle. so when i tried to pull it off, the wiper was catching on the splines of the screw.

i fixed it by pushing the old wiper back in towards the car so it was lined up with the screw so it would come out straight and not catch on the side of the screw.

pic might explain it better:
IMG_0644-11.jpg

pull the wiper up so the blade isnt touching the windscreen. put your hand on the arm, circled red, and push it inwards towards the windscreen. this lines it up with the screw and should pull out straight.

Last edited:

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
well when i took the nut off, the old wiper was on the screw at an angle. so when i tried to pull it off, the wiper was catching on the splines of the screw.

i fixed it by pushing the old wiper back in towards the car so it was lined up with the screw so it would come out straight and not catch on the side of the screw.

IMG_0644-11.jpg

pull the wiper up so the blade isnt touching the windscreen. put your hand on the arm, circled red, and push it inwards towards the windscreen. this lines it up with the screw and should pull out straight.

Ahh that makes sense. I will go attack it tomorrow.

Anyone got a silver cupra boot for sale btw?

BeezaDave

LimerickHurlingSupporter
Jul 29, 2009
Limerick/Dublin Ireland
Its all about the angle rather than the lubricant just stick with it and it will come off.

Mine never gets garaged and was one of the first cars, came off easy enough after some swearing.

beat me to it while i was getting the pic ready. as Guinness said its the angle. make sure the wiper is coming out straight and not catching on the screw.

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire

IMG_0644-11.jpg

beat me to it while i was getting the pic ready. as Guinness said its the angle. make sure the wiper is coming out straight and not catching on the screw.

Legends, thanks guys, took about 4 secs to remove by pushing the wiper down :whistle: pints on me.

New polo wiper is on. Didn't have to file it down though, seems to fit perfect, doesnt catch on anything.

For record i bought mine on ebay, probably could have got cheaper elsewhere, but meh. Ebay is easy.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.