Possible MAF problem or something else?

muttly

Oct 1, 2005
Stamford Nr Peterborough
Hey.. not my usual forum as i have a LCR.. but a friend of mine is having problems with her 2005 1.9TDI toledo.. she had the engine light come on.. she had someone look at it.. they scanned it and it showed a fault code with the MAF sensor which they cleared..i dont know what the exact code was....but a day or 2 later the light came back on.. they then changed the MAF for a new 1 i believe and cleared the code again..now a a few days later the light is back on

she said it feels like its more sluggish like its holding back..so im guessing its in limp mode? and she did notice some smoke ..

now is there anythign else that can cause the MAF to throw up a code.. the only thing i can think of is a wiring fault?..bad earth mayb?

it is also overdue a service..:rolleyes: but she is really skint at the mo..so any ideas would be welcome

thanks
matt

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
A 2005 Toledo could be Mk.2 or Mk.3 - which is it?

The description sounds like the limp mode associated with a faulty MAF. They rarely cause the EML to come on, not being instrumented and not being critical to the engine's basic function.

There is no separate earth associated with the MAF, its connections are all made through the electrical plug. It's completely mounted in the plastic inlet trunking, so there's no place to make a separate earth connection.

We really need to know what faults are being logged. Can you find someone with VCDS to help?

Last edited:

muttly

Oct 1, 2005
Stamford Nr Peterborough
thanks for the reply err muttly..lol..

im not really familar with the toledo.... how do you tell the difference between Mk.2 or Mk.3?

so the cable/plug from the maf goes straight back to the ecu?..

i used to have vag com on my old lappy which i used with the LCR.. do you know if the the the same cable fiits the toledo... if so i ill try and pop round at the weekend if i still have vag com

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The Mk.2 is a saloon car, based on the Mk.4 Golf, and it was the basis for the Mk.1 Leon.

TDI150side.jpg

The Mk.3 is an MPV, based on the Altea shell, with a sort-of-boot.

USEATToledo2005.jpg

The MAF (G70) is wired directly to the ECU through the wiring harness, yes.

A cable that would work with the LCR would work with the Mk.2 Toledo. the Mk.3 is CAN-bus, and needs full VCDS, the Lite version doesn't support CAN-bus.

muttly

Oct 1, 2005
Stamford Nr Peterborough
arhh thanks..it will be the Mk.3 then.. and looks like i wont be able to to scan it then..but thanks for your help looks like its back to square one ..will have to see if she can get the the person who scanned it the first time to return ..and ill try and find out exactly what code its throwing up

thanks for your help and information :)