Possible Power Steering leak?!

Arnie

Last few mornings, I have had a small slick on my drive at the front right of my car. I've just had a look this afternoon and it seems to be coming from what I think is the power steering reservoir? I've took some pics to help explain where its coming from.

In the 1st pic you can see the power steering reservoir on the left (what I think it is anyway) which is where I think the leak is coming from.

dsc00699.jpg

The 2nd pic you can see the rubber hose which comes out of the power steering, as the hose goes down you can see where its covered in fluid.

dsc00704.jpg

And the underneath of the car looks like this:

dsc00705.jpg

I've recently had both the fans replaced as the slow speed fan packed up and last week had a new brass water pump and cambelt fitted due to the water pump failing. So I'm thinking it may of been knocked when that work was being carried out which has started the leak.

The car is still under warranty so I will take it back to SEAT to have it looked at but I was wondering if anyone could confirm if it is the power steering that is leaking?

Thanks for your help.

TheOtherSimon

Jul 12, 2004
Good photos.

What colour / consistency is the fluid that is leaking. Has the level in the reservoir dropped? Power steering fluid is red and oily.

The good news is that if that is a fluid leak it appears to be leaking from a hose - which is few pounds. Rather than the rack which is hundreds of pounds.

Simon.

Arnie

Thanks for the reply. I'll go out and have a look in a minute to see what colour it is, I remember it being quite oily though.

Each morning there is a CD sized patch on the drive from where its leaked.

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
as stated in the manual you must not keep the steering wheel fully locked to either side as this causes pressure in the powering pump.

To find out where its leaking, get a tissue and wrap it around the power steering pipe, so you find out where the leak is begins.
Then strap it up and take to your dealers who will fix point of leak

Arnie

I checked again on Saturday and its actually a greenish sort of colour which SEAT told me today is the power steering fluid.

Its booked in for next Monday so hopefully should be fixed by then.

Is it just a case of unscrewing the power steering cap to check the levels?

Gutter

I had a power steering leak a while back. I only knew about it because there was a 'moaning' sound (best way I can describe it) whenever i turned the wheel anywhere, especially at low speeds. Never would have noticed the leak due to gravel drive. Got the dealer to sort it (under warranty) and also a bottle of the fluid, always check my levels now.

Arnie

Is it? I had a quick flick through and couldn't see it, will have another look tonight though. Thanks for your help.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members