Power loss at 2-2.5K rpm

I've got a completely standard TDi 130 Sport, and I'm getting really horrible power loss at between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm.

It's most noticeable in 5th gear. Cruising at 60, accelerate to pull out and overtake and it's pulling like a train as usual right up until the needle gets past the 2,000 rpm mark and then I'll get a sudden power loss. It doesn't feel like a flat spot where it just doesn't accelerate as quickly - it actually seems to be losing power. I almost thought it was going to stall when it happened once.

Asked the dealer to take a look on Monday when it went in for a service, but he said there were no fault codes on the computer (Did they actually try driving it?!? Don't think so! :thumbd: ). Bit p***ed off they didn't find anything so I have been watching for it since. Yesterday it did it again and I actually saw the needle drop back about 400rpm when it happened.

Any ideas what it could be?
I'd like to have some ideas to take back to the dealer.

Phill

Diablo559

Diablo
Mar 1, 2005
N.Ireland
my brothers mk 3 cupra done the same thing it does not show up as a fault because the sensor is still working he was told it was not working when he went to get it chiped the man pulled off the wire goin to the sensor. Then took it for a drive it was unbelievable the difference it made. he told us not to drive round without the sensor as its bad for the engine he has it sorted now

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
if not the maf try the wastegate valves on the turbo, or the solonoid, can stick open allowing all pressure to escape.

He doesn't have a wastegate ;)

Might be the VNT mechanism sticking part way through it's range of movement though.
If you have access to vag-com there is a procedure to excercise the VNT mechanism.

cheb

Ibiza FR TDi
Sep 27, 2006
Rotherham
He doesn't have a wastegate ;)

Might be the VNT mechanism sticking part way through it's range of movement though.
If you have access to vag-com there is a procedure to excercise the VNT mechanism.

What is the method to exercise the VNT mechanism?

would like to see i mine is having a problem so i can rule it out.

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
What is the method to exercise the VNT mechanism?
Using VAG-COM: Go into measuring groups and choose group 11. Then click on "Basic Settings". The engine will speed up to about 1400 rpm and it will cycle the VNT about every 10 seconds. Leave it doing that for five minutes or so.

Another (perhaps better) method is to find a quiet stretch of dual carriageway - late at night is best. With a completely warmed-up engine, in 3rd gear at about 30 mph, press the accelerator smoothly all the way to the floor and hold it there until you hit 80 mph or about 4500 rpm. Lather, rinse, repeat. After several repetitions of this you may well be able to feel the engine is a lot more "willing".

But by far the best method is to fill your car up with fat gits and go for a long, high speed drive with plenty of accelerating (i.e. not constant speed). Whenever I do this, the car drives beautifully afterwards. A long motorway drive against a stiff head-wind seems to work as well. It seems that sustained high-power is what these engines like best!

cheb

Ibiza FR TDi
Sep 27, 2006
Rotherham
Thanks, will give this ago tomorrow.

ive noticed that after the car has had a run on the motorway at speed it runs alot better, never though much of it really.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.