Power loss

ALTEA DUDE

2.0 TDi Sport
Sep 14, 2005
Hi all,

My brother has a 53 plate Ibiza TDi Sport and has had constant problems with the power dropping off for no reason during acceleration. Dealer has looked at it numerous times and found nothing.

Anybody had similar probs and if so what was done? Hope he gets it fixed, he really likes his SEAT like me and also like me has found the biggest problem to be the dozey dealers.. :banghead2

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
Does the power disappear permanently, and then re-appear when you switch off and start the engine again? If so, that's classic "limp mode", and probably indicates overboost caused by a sticky turbo mechanism.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
If it's hesitant/stuttering then that sounds like classic MAF failure symptoms.

This won't throw a fault code or warning light, so sometimes hard to convice the dealer.

Only way to really know is to do some logging of requested & actual airflow readings with vag-com while booting it through the rev range. Plenty of posts on here about what to do.

Alternatively try unplugging the MAF, run the engine up and see if it generates a fault code or light. If it does, stick the cable back on and take it into the dealer, job done ;)

If you're getting a complete and permanent power loss that only goes away after a restart, then David's explanation sounds likely.

:)

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
Another method for diagnosing a faulty MAF sensor which is often mentioned on TDIClub is to see what the max achievable RPM is with your foot to the floor in neutral when your engine is fully warmed up. If it fails to reach at least 5000 then you have a dodgy MAF.

ALTEA DUDE

2.0 TDi Sport
Sep 14, 2005
The problem is that it dips mid way through the rev range when accelerating then picks up again.

Thanks for all your tips, will pass them to my bro and hopefully he will get it sorted.:)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.