Problem Resolved!! DTCs not supported by controller or a communication error ocurred

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
(Glad you're here Damien!) :)

Just had a thought.

My laptop is partitioned C: and D: 50/50 and the C drive is nearly full. (It says 90%) I think it might be slowing things up. I've banged quite a bit of extra music on Itunes as my HTC phone will hold twice what my Ipod would.

I wonder if this would affect the running of Vag-Com. I've noticed the HD firing up when it's trying to communicate.......

In Vista, a lot of my stuff is under 'Dave' and I assume that's data on C:. How do I move it to D: so it still shows under Dave's docs etc?

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
My laptop is the exactly the same Dave, but I dont get any problems :shrug:

vag-com on C: drive that was "criticaly full" but still ran fine. I have recently ran a program called C Clean (free to download and use) and it cleaned up about 5-8 GB.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Still not resolved.

I found out how to move some user data (documents, photos, music) from C: to D: so it still showed as user data. Cleaned out the crap.

Tried again, problem still the same.

Uninstalled vag-com.
Re-installed & reapplied licence.

Still the same.

Haven't tried it on the Ibiza yet. I'll try it on the Bammer tomorrow. In the meantime, I may install vag-com on a desktop and throw that in the car to convince myself it's my laptop. :censored:

Damoegan

Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
........In the meantime, I may install vag-com on a desktop and throw that in the car to convince myself it's my laptop. :censored:

:cartman:

I cant think of anything alse it could be mate. Maybe a corrupt file but surely that would of been removed when you done the reinstall....

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: VagCom.exe
Application Version: 409.1.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4193fb13
Fault Module Name: StackHash_1885
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 004451e1
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.6
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 1885
Additional Information 2: 1ac6684c909da4a2fda96050046dc7a4
Additional Information 3: dbc6
Additional Information 4: 9c8693377c20438d133c62ad3e87a4cc

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Dug out my old laptop today (screen no work). Plugged in a monitor. Loaded up 409.1(unlicenced) Vag-Com.

Lobbed the lot in the car with an AC extension. Connected vag-com lead.

Read 01 and 17 no problems. Cleared the eml. (incorrect flow). :shrug:

Left vag-com lead plugged into the obd port.

Connected my current laptop - back to the same problem. :shrug:

I'm baffled.

Anyone got a two mile AC extension lead?

Damoegan

Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
It does'nt take much to corrupt a file, even a file that has been moved could screw things up.

Fingers crossed Ross-Tech come up with a answer, Dave.

If not, I'll bring mine for the track day because I know you will be fiddling with settings just as much as me ;)

Fecking computers eh, who would ever have one.......

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
So, in spite of my request, Ross Tech haven't been anywhere near this thread to read about the actual problem......

Reply:
Have you tried using a genuine Ross-Tech dongle interface with our latest software on the same PC? Have you contacted the hardware supplier as explained here?

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_3.html#3.3

We don't support the use of 409 with Vista but these suggestions may be helpful:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_1.html#1.15

Since you already own a software license, you are eligible for any of
our OUTRIGHT upgrades. I'd highly recommend upgrading to one of our
genuine Ross-Tech dongle Interfaces, which have built-in Activation and
which work with the latest versions of VCDS (VAG-COM Diagnostic System),
currently Release 908. Please see this page to order or let me know if
you have additional questions:

http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Outright

Regards,

:censored:

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Near Philadelphia, PA, USA
So let me get this right: you bought hardware from someone other than Ross-Tech.

You have had trouble with running VAG-COM 409 on that product from day one and Ross-Tech is to blame? How exactly does that make logical sense?

What did the hardware manufacturer offer as support and help? Did you even bother to contact them?

So, how is Ross-Tech supposed to know what you are using? I know your answer -we've heard it before: "It's just a wire"

Wrong! These units are stuffed with electronics (at least ours are) and if those electronics are not talking to the drivers installed on you PC properly, flaky communications will result. You have flaky communications, ergo: contact your hardware manufacturer to ask them for help in resolving your driver issues with their hardware. It is not a verson 409 problem. It is not a Ross-Tech problem. It is a hardware/driver problem. i

By the way, how many people who have bought Ross-Tech hardware are posted on this forum as having lead issues and communications issues? Hmmm.... maybe Ross-Tech hardware does work differently because we spend the time and effort to make sure we have hardware that works with all VAG cars. Yes, this does cost more. Yes, we understand you are on a budget and that you can't afford the "real" deal. But because you have to take the low budget route, that does not mean that you get to blame Ross-Tech for the problem. We tell you that before you buy the license, make sure your setup is working as you need it to work. The shareware version allows you to see all of these comm problems before you buy the license. A license never solves those problems.

I'm done my rant.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
So let me get this right: you bought hardware from someone other than Ross-Tech.

You have had trouble with running VAG-COM 409 on that product from day one and Ross-Tech is to blame? How exactly does that make logical sense?

You seem to have misread this.

I have a non Ross Tech USB-lead which has been working fine for maybe three years. I am using it with a licensed version of Vag-Com.

The lead still works fine when used with another laptop running a shareware version of 409-1 vag.com.

The diagnostics on the car are still fine.

What is not fine is my laptop. The running of Vag-com on it has become flaky and I have failed to diagnose why.

I am not suggesting for a minute that there is anything wrong with the Vag-Com software itself.

All I am looking for is suggestions on how I can resolve my problem.

Your rant at me is misdirected. :)

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Ok - I did misread that you have had success on one computer but not on a second.

On the second machine, do you have anti-virus software? If you do, can you turn it off?

Basically, I would be looking to see if any other software is trying to use the com port to which you have assigned VAG-COM and I would be trying to shut down all applications other than VAG-COM to eliminate them as the possible sources of interference. Once you have a "clean" running system, you begin adding back the applications one at a time to see which one is causing your problem.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Ok - I did misread that you have had success on one computer but not on a second.

On the second machine, do you have anti-virus software? If you do, can you turn it off?

Basically, I would be looking to see if any other software is trying to use the com port to which you have assigned VAG-COM and I would be trying to shut down all applications other than VAG-COM to eliminate them as the possible sources of interference. Once you have a "clean" running system, you begin adding back the applications one at a time to see which one is causing your problem.

Thank you for this. I will persevere with trying to track the problem down. :)

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Wooo Hoooo! I can have some of my life back!

Problem resolved.

After much more f***ing about with msconfig on Vista boot, I decided there was nothing loading on startup that was causing the problem.

I was convinced it wasn't a driver issue for the lead.

Last night, while just going though my online banking (Natwest) I remembered I'd finally given in and installed their innocuous security software early this month.

Trusteer Rapport is supposed to give added security on certain websites.......

Disabling it put my Vag-com back to normal. I am contacting them to report the issue.

Separately, Ross Tech, I think I might move with the times and do an Outright Upgrade with you. I need an upgrade lead that will do the following vehicles 6K 1M 7V and preferably also 1P. Which do I need?

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Wooo Hoooo! I can have some of my life back!

Problem resolved.
Congratulations!

Separately, Ross Tech, I think I might move with the times and do an Outright Upgrade with you. I need an upgrade lead that will do the following vehicles 6K 1M 7V and preferably also 1P. Which do I need?

Take a look at our compatibility chart.

The upgrade program can be found on our upgrade page.