Project Blueshift 'R'

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Well, i've got myself a Leon back again... and it feels GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Annoyingly the only pic i have... when i get it properly cleaned and in a presentable condition i'll show it off a bit more.

20120908_092018.jpg

03 plate, AMK block (210bhp) 88k on the clock with FSH etc.

Mods so far are aero front wipers, LED sidelights, new Head Unit and front door speakers, Forge 007p, and a green panel filter.

Planned (i have the bits, just need to fit them) is 15mm hubcentric rear spacers, and a fabia estate rear wiper arm.

Anything else i've forgotten can wait till i'm not too busy lol! Enjoy!

P.s.

I'm updating this thread from a local forum so a year's worth of updates is coming up lol! Not too many posts though.

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Well tonight's car session didn't go as i expected. Will add some more pictures tomorrow but i went to fit my rear spacers only to find that a couple of the bolt threads had become damaged (probably from rolling around in my boot) and need re-dressing, a job for work tomorrow. :) Annoyed that i couldn't fit them though as that was my main aim for tonight.

I did however partially debadge the rear, replaced the Seat standard rear wiper for a fabia estate one, and added a club sticker to the rear window. I'll post some pics up of this when it's clean again, but here's some from this afternoon.

20121001_170839.jpg

20121001_170909.jpg

20121001_170955.jpg

20121001_170923.jpg

20121001_171110.jpg

20121001_170830.jpg

Last edited:

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Finally i got to fit my spacers this afternoon! I ordered new bolts on Tuesday morning and they got here this afternoon! Just the job! :)

The before and after shots:

20121001_171100.jpg

20121003_172730.jpg

20121001_171053.jpg

20121003_172720.jpg

All i've got left to do at the moment is fit my new plates then it's save for some more modifications. I think till then i'll have a go at detailing. :)

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Well, i figure i need to update this as it's been a while since my last post and i'm trying to revive my enthusiasm in it after all it's issues.

In general, it's running fine. After a few little issues i figured i'd bite the bullet and iron out some problems so a few months ago i purchased a full set of disks and pads as the previous owner left the old discs on with new pads. Easy job? Apparently not as it then cost me £360 which included a new front ball joint and 2 new rear calipers (due to the bleed nipples stripping the internal thread when removed), as well as a brake fluid change. I was advised to get my tracking checked due to the work near the hubs, a precautionary measure more than anything but i thought 'what the hell' and got it looked at. One track rod end was seized so i had to get that free'd up and ended up buying a new pair. Mechanically the car was sound then... just had to pass the MOT.

I knew the front tyres (Conti Sport Contact 3's) were low when i bought the car so i swapped over the relatively new 'widow-makers' on the rear to the front to even out tyre wear. Knowing that the SP3's wouldn't pass the MOT i got myself a pair of Vredstein Ultrac Sessanta's to replace them and thought everything was okay. Had a pre MOT check the day before it was due to find out that the widow makers wouldn't pass the MOT due to them being perished so i had to bite the bullet and get another pair of Vred's.

Also, my 'pièce de résistance' of being too impatient cleaning my car and attacking nearly the entire front of the car with scotchbrite has really cheesed me off. (rather not talk about this one lol)

So now, the car is through MOT, insured, taxed and ready for another year. After this year i hope there won't be anymore issues but i'm sure after hitting the 100k mark a month ago that this is only the beginning.

Still, recent mods are a W8 light conversion, some internal light colour changes from white to blue, sub and amp install, Honda S2000 cone, and today an N249 bypass. All this, and the obligatory cleaning when i have time (6 hours on it a few weekends ago including hoover, wash, clay, polish).

Things still that need reasonably urgent attention:

New rear wiper motor assembly.
Rust spots on the rear arch and boot lid.
Paint touch-ups (or front end respray if i can afford it).
Refurbishment/powdercoating of alloys.
Powdercoating of engine bits.
New LCR splitter.

I'll follow up with pics after a clean and a nice day. :)

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
This needs an update... lol!

So since the last post not too much has happened really, thanks to Adam_Cupra selling me his old stuff i now have a silicon TIP and a new cone filter... this was handy as when he changed it out we found the original one had a split in it. Good job we changed it out! It's amazing what you can find in your garage eh Adam? :)

And the finished product:

And some of the other mods i've done:

Custom W8 light conversion

Boost Gauge

And a little photo shoot shot...

Anyway, from the above post, i've changed the rear wiper motor (thanks to George for that one!) and i've acquired an S3 strut brace which i need to get fitted at some point. Looking to get some spacers for the front and then save for some powdercoating i think.

Hope you like it, see you all at a meeting soon!

MATTCR

FR
Mar 6, 2007
UK
Alright mate! nice to see you back, i'm recently back too with a new Leon. Cant live without them can we :) (i used to be platinumatt)

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Alright dude? How you keeping? I know what you mean, the year i was in the horriblie Clio was the worst year of driving i've ever had. So nice to get back to the Leon. :)

@Pidgeon Fancier: The TIP was quite a noticable difference for me personally. As i have a Revo Stage 1 map it's inherently torquey at low revs so with the split it was overboosting and causing some serious clutch slippage. With the new tip it's holding boost a lot better and i'm getting hardly any clutch slip at all now. :) The new filter... not feeling much in the way of a difference from the S2000 cone, but the noise is different. :)

@JordanMk3 ... there was loads of bug on the front and my sponge wasn't shifting them so i thought 'i'll just try and get them off by using a scourer very lightly'... turns out it doesn't matter how light you are lol! :D Took ages to cover it up... needs a front end respray to be honest though.

Just ordered a full set of window switches so hopefully when they get here i can do a full conversion from red to blue. I've pinged an email to a local cluster repair company too to ask how much to change my clock colour from red to blue too, still waiting for a reply from them though.

On a side note, used some AngelWax H2Go when i cleaned the old girl on Sunday... for £4.50 it's amazing stuff... just watched the water run off yesterday. :)

Thanks for your comments guys. :)

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Okay so i'm gonna get my wheels sorted...

Aerocoat was really helpful when i popped in and gave me some awesome options so here's the 2 concepts i have so far; Quite and LOUD!!! :) :

Thoughts please guys.

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
I would go for the black but coat one of the spokes the blue from the bottom pic.

I'm sure you've said that before bro.... :)

I think i'm goona go all black... the stealth approach... with blue 'bits... big plans for the engine bay now. :)

Getting my 8mm spacers on the front next weekend, can't wait! And my LED's are getting here soon so i can do the colour conversion on my window switches.

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Well, another update:

I got some Heko wind deflectors and some 8mm Creation Motorsports Hubcentric Spacers for my birthday so i got them fitted this weekend (apologies for poor picture quality):

Then to carry on my blue theme i've started to change the SMD's in the switches too... so out with the old:

And in with the new!

Only a trial run at the moment, they're proper fiddly to do! The plan is to do the clocks too, and maybe the center console, although i need to figure out to remove the surround etc to do that.

Still, i'll get some better pictures when it gets dark. :)

I seem to be having some debate on the front spacers at the moment, people saying there's not enough hub lip to hold the wheel on:

Playing the devil's advocate here, is it not the job of the bolts to hold the wheel to the hub, and the center is a guide? I looked at the 'disclaimer' they put on the selling page and it reads as follows:

"Please note due to many issues with customers fitting incorrect spacers to their cars, we have had to put up this disclaimer so that customers understand the importance of correct fitment of spacers.

When purchasing our hub centric spacers and as different models of cars come with different hubs, it is the responsibility of the customer to make sure that the hub lip on the hub does not protrude more than the inner diameter of the spacer. For example if you purchase 10mmm spacers and your hub lip protrudes by 12mm then you will not be able to fit the 10mm spacers without snapping the ring on the hub centric lip of the spacer.

Also please note before fitting any spacers it is imperative that the hub is thoroughly cleaned with a wire brush and greased prior to fitting and please make sure the spacer is sitting flat and the inner face of the wheel does not foul the spacer.

If the lip of the hub is 12mm then you need at least a 12mm space inside the spacer to make sure of correct fitment. If you are unsure please ask. Please do not fit spacers until you have checked this measurements otherwise you will damage the spacers and we will not be able to accept any refunds.

Many people won’t tell you about fitment issues please make sure you follow these guidelines to endure there are no issues after the purchase.

Remember we only sell hub centric spacers and do not sell floating spacers hence the reason they have to be precision fitted."

To me, this doesn't mention about a minimum hub lip that should protrude so that the wheel can locate 'effectively. Am i missing something?

Truth be told there is a very slight wobble in my steering wheel now...

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Okay, still waiting for Creation Motorsports to come back whether or not they've found a spare spacer for me to try as i've messed one of them up by fitting it backwards lol. They're currently off and in the garage.

On a plus note, my window switches are almost changed out. (check out the guide i made if you're interested: Window Switch Lighting Change) Driver side is now 75% complete, i just need to wait for the 90 degree SMD's to come back in to stock then i can finish the wing mirror section.

Some night shots:

Oh and as a little bonus i've ordered a custom heat shield to help with the intake temperatures. :)

Had a lovely little blast to the shops tonight though, and although i spent 4 hours on the old girl yesterday cleaning and polishing to find it iced up this morning then covered in dust when i left work :evil: it was really fun. Power was getting down too which is nice to see after my previous clutch issues. Hopefully the new TIP has sorted those issues. (Thanks Adam! :) )

Last edited:

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
The heat shield is finally complete, the finish wasn't quite what i had in mind but i'm warming to it after i've managed to get it finished. Here's the progress:

In situe to find it doesn't quite fit my configuration due to the TIP/Induction set up:

A bit of modification with the help of Adam and some aluminium welding from my mate Carl (not pretty in places but it was the best he could do given the material in question and the angles):

Then off for anodising from a lad at work (didn't realise how expensive this was to the general public!):

And then after some straightening and adding some cable tray edging:

And finally the finished product in situe... it's not quite ****** standard but at a total cost of £35 + a 4 pack of Heiniken i can't complain about a fully customised heat shield lol.

Added to that i got my smoked side repeaters fitted (still not sure on these, will have to get pictures up and see what you guys think), and my LED reversing lights (like a miniature sun when i reverse now lol). Still waiting on my stop/tail lights and i need to find time to do my badges and front badge again.

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Time for an update.

Been 'umming and aaaring' about getting my wheels done for ages and i finally bit the bullet and went for it. I went for an acrylic black in the end:

Finally got round to sealing the wheels with some wax (forgotten the name of the stuff i used though), and got new center caps and nut covers for it too. Also finished re-painting the calipers last week (pictures to follow when i've given it a nice clean and put the Brembo stickers back on).

The colour scheme i'm going for and some detailing:

My 'detailed' painting is horrendous so try not to zoom in if you can help it. ;)

I'm still wanting to do the rear badge but without taking the car off the road and stored for a few days i'm not sure how i'm going to manage that as i'd rather spray it that wrap it.

Next on the list is finishing fitting some silicon hoses in the engine bay, alloy strut top caps, strut brace to be fitted, rear anti-roll bar to be purchased and fitted but most importantly my PCV system to be sorted, details can be found here: http://www.dubgenerationclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31122

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Well, i've started going offshore again so i've been buying little bits for the motor again and finding the time when i'm back to do some little modifications.

First off, i finally got round to sealing all my wheels and painting the calipers, complete with Brembo re-stickering:

I also fitted a customised R badge back on the boot lid:

Replaced the rocker cover breather hose with a silicon one as the original one was looking a bit worse for wear:

Unfortunately on fitting this i noticed a nice big break in one of the PCV system pipes so this silicon might be up for grabs soon as i'll be replacing it with a catch can in the very near future. This break is hopefully the reason for my boost leak and oil leak in one, leading to my clutch slipping. Fingers crossed when i get this sorted it'll run like a dream.

And i finally finished the front... well apart from needing a respray to re-colour the last 3 grills black:

I'm debating whether or not to put another customised R badge on the front grills somewhere though.

Plans on the cards next are getting a service from top man George, fitting my front strut brace, and trying to get a darker Dubgen stickers to replace the light ones to go more with the colour theme i have going. Then it's rear arb time and then looking at a wellycooler... oh and a damn good clean when i get some more time. :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.