Quick Shift

MrJohn91

Aug 27, 2014
www.facebook.com
Has anyone fitted one of these? One thing I find frustrating is the travel time on the gear lever and this would help massively but wondered what peoples opinions were?

https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/A...d_Adjustable_Quick_Shifter--product--989.html

also this one is significantly more expensive... is this just because the Forge one only changes up and down travel and the APR will amend both up/down left/right?

https://www.regalautosport.com/shop/pr-adjustable-short-shifter-full-system.html

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Most just do the vertical short shift and from what I’ve read it is a great little mod. However I’ve also read that the half price on eBay short shift kits are just as good as the “branded” expensive ones. I’m interested also in the future .

MrJohn91

Aug 27, 2014
www.facebook.com
Most just do the vertical short shift and from what I’ve read it is a great little mod. However I’ve also read that the half price on eBay short shift kits are just as good as the “branded” expensive ones. I’m interested also in the future .
That is interesting to note. I may gone down that route then instead and add this in for the same money as the branded short shifter alone. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/264277553231

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
on my MK2's I had the forge kits for front-back and left-right. The front back is brilliant ( I also had fitted to a MK2 Golf and now MK1 Leon).

The left right kit is "good" but you wont notice it as much.

Reactions: MrJohn91

Jordan Neill

Nov 25, 2018
Did you get this fitted, what was it like as I'm also looking into getting a quick shifter.

Watching thread TIA.

Kibby

Jul 12, 2013
Belfast
Not done yet but will be doing soon. Will update when done

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

It has been some time, not sure if you still own the car, but did you ever get round to fitting this? And if you did 1) how difficult was it and 2) what one did you buy 3) was it worth it

Jordan Neill

Nov 25, 2018
I can answer, I bought mine. I've got it set to its shortest throw and makes a massive difference. Can make selecting first a little weird at first but otherwise a great purchase.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Not meaning to throw a spanner in the works, but I ordered a different kit all together - I got the Diesel Geek Stigma quick shifter set, which I think is fantastic. @Charliessmith has a set too. Not the cheapest but the look and perform great.

Attachments

• 4BDA8E55-E81D-4594-9311-8BC44837AF3E.jpeg
    4BDA8E55-E81D-4594-9311-8BC44837AF3E.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 112
  • F9B88F46-D309-4012-B989-EBD4E7F984C2.jpeg
    F9B88F46-D309-4012-B989-EBD4E7F984C2.jpeg
    529.2 KB · Views: 115

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
I must say I'm extremely happy with the Diesel Geeks short shifter kit, it feels amazing and really shortens the shift quiet a bit.
@paddy6789 told me about it and he got it first and from what he told me about how it feels and performs I had to get it, and I've never thought twice since.
It also looks amazing.
b7be49e90b6d46e4ab9c4dd84dc063fb.jpg
d0dce549ecb73eb6c1e017f5c98720e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

MatTheMerciless

Feb 16, 2019
I’ve got the forge short shifter installed. One of the best mods to date. Makes it far easier to drive.

With the stock gear linkage bushing the car was almost undriveable though. Worth putting aluminium ones in while you’re there. Took probably 30 minutes to install. There’s a bit more noise through the gear stick with the aluminium bushings but it’s only noticeable at low speed.
I also found the shortest setting was stupidly short. Stock throw was 7cm from neutral to gear. It’s now 2cm.

Leeon

Sep 4, 2014
I’ve got the forge short shifter installed. One of the best mods to date. Makes it far easier to drive.

With the stock gear linkage bushing the car was almost undriveable though. Worth putting aluminium ones in while you’re there. Took probably 30 minutes to install. There’s a bit more noise through the gear stick with the aluminium bushings but it’s only noticeable at low speed.
I also found the shortest setting was stupidly short. Stock throw was 7cm from neutral to gear. It’s now 2cm.
Hey I was looking to buy 1 of the short shifters from eBay opposed to Forge, however I am interesting in replacing the bushings as well, how many would I need to order from Darkside devs as £30 a pop is quite pricey. cheers

MatTheMerciless

Feb 16, 2019
Hey I was looking to buy 1 of the short shifters from eBay opposed to Forge, however I am interesting in replacing the bushings as well, how many would I need to order from Darkside devs as £30 a pop is quite pricey. cheers
I think the Forge one is CNCed from billet aluminium, hence the price. eBay one might be cast so be careful and buy from someone reputable. You only need the one kit from darkside, it’ll have two solid bushings. Triple check which ones you need though as there are a few options. Pop your air box out and have a look or email darkside to ask. They were very helpful. From memory the round bushing was a pain to remove and fit. Give yourself plenty of time and make sure you’ve got tools to hand.

Reactions: Leeon

Leeon

Sep 4, 2014
Thanks for the Advice, I emailed Darkside and they say the model which apparently I have on my 2014 FR ST 184 is 5Q0711046K, there is no short shift replacement for this.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The gear change on one of our Leons is notchy feeling, even after the car has warmed up. Any idea what can cause this?

It's a facelift car. The two pre-facelift cars have been smoother.

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
The gear change on one of our Leons is notchy feeling, even after the car has warmed up. Any idea what can cause this?

It's a facelift car. The two pre-facelift cars have been smoother.
Different gearbox based on engine possibly.
My 1.4 feels very notchy compared to the other half's 2.0tdi, the throw is also a bit shorter on the diesel

QTom

Sep 22, 2017
My Cupra is also a bit notchy, mainly when cold and mostly on 1>2. As far as I understand it's pretty common but would be nice if there was some way to improve it.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
My Cupra is also a bit notchy, mainly when cold and mostly on 1>2.
Yes, that's what mine is like. The 1.6TDi and 1.4 TSi were fine but the 2.9TDi just feels like crap. Like there is a bit missing or something. Can't help but think maybe something is misaligned or something.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.