raising engine on spacers?

masterfrodo

Jul 29, 2016
Dunno where I read it, but I did read you can raise the engine on 20mm spacers to give the sump more clearance on speed bumps etc.

Is this a thing, because my Cupra tdi does scrape a lot of speed bumps, even crawling over them, and I am on standard height suspension.

So if this is a thing, where can I get the spacers, is it a difficult job, and does it affect the exhaust and drivetrain by raising it?

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
But it will also make your car’s handling and front-end grip feel like a bus because the centre-of-gravity will be raised.

Last edited:

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Is this a thing, because my Cupra tdi does scrape a lot of speed bumps, even crawling over them, and I am on standard height suspension.

Are you sure your suspension is standard as if so it really shouldn't be bothered by most humps, at least around London where we have the best collection of them ever!

Or have you changed rims/tyres for a smaller diameter therefore lowering it?

masterfrodo

Jul 29, 2016
No, its all stock standard. Looking at the front of the car from bumper height you can see the sump sits a lot lower than the bumper

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Are you sure it's not just the undertray you can see below the bumper level?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Another easier option would be to fit decent tyres with slightly deeper sidewalls. Providing you stay within 5% difference there shouldn't be any clearance issues and the handling of the car won't be 'ruined' - indeed, the ride will probably improve slightly.

As an example that worked very well, I changed the 185/55 x 15" tyres on my Missus' modest GM shopping trolley to better-brand 175/65's. It has raised the car's ride height/ground clearance by 12mm, (although that wasn't an issue.)
What else it has done is raise the overall gearing by 4%, which has made the speedo more accurate (!) improved the ride quality quite a bit and looks wise, has filled-out the wheelarches in profile better.

If you worry about the potential for more 'squidgy feeling' handling, then a little extra pressure in the tyres would counter this, should it be an issue.

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
I might do that myself!

Been fine when driving on my own over speed bumps but when I've a car full I've had a few scrapes on the under tray. TDi sump is lower (lowest on the Leons?) so the 35mm shorter springs have caused this. Wouldn't go back though as the ride is so much better than the standard springs.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Your Cupra TDI will have Sports suspension, which is 15mm lower all round than standard suspension. If you can still read your data sticker, look for a G code somewhere near the end of the option codes:
G22/G23/G24/G25 = Standard
G26/G61/G62/G63/G64/G96/G99 = Sports
G92 is Cupra R suspension, which is 25mm lower at the front, and uses the front end setup from the Audi S3 - very different.
TDI's do have lower sumps than their petrol engined cousins.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.